2011 Shelby GT 500

doccars

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 10, 2005
Thinking of ordering a 2011 Shelby Gt500 coupe to park next to my Ford Gt

Have surfed the web for info and still have several questions. Figured since there are number number of Ford guys and other knowledgeable members on the site I might be able to get some answers.

1). Is there an allocation for these cars that makes it difficult to order and get at a reasonable price or can they be ordered similar to a mustang GT? I don't want to have the same aggravation that I experienced when i called dealers looking for my GT (excessive premiums etc.).

2). Any idea why there was a hold on the shipment of the initial production of 2011 mustangs, including Gt and GT 500?

3). I have been reading comparisons of the new 2011 Shelby 500 engine block to our GT's. Apparently it is more robust. Was wondering if this block is
easily converted to dry sump version and usable in our GT's.

Thanks

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I've got one on order and I was able to work out a very favorable deal on it. Should learn production date this coming week. Ordered red with white stripes, racing stripes on seats, and SVT handeling package. Left off the NAV for $2100, don't really need it. May remove the top stripes as I am still on the fence with the narrow SVT stripes. They are vinyl and easy to remove. You can't get the stripes on the seats without ordering the top stripes. I'll see how it looks when it comes in. You can PM me if you want the price I was able to work out.

My dealer told me the Shelby's are allocated by dealer and are a whole different animal than ordering a regular Mustang as far as production goes. I tried to change the one they have coming in for stock but it was too far along and they could not make changes. It was in a color I didn't want.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Went to my Dealer last week. I can place an order but they want $10,000.00 over sticker price. I will only pay Sticker or I can live without it.

Not sure what you guys or others are finding out. I have order guides as do the dealers, but no 'color chips' or glossy brochures yet available.
Any other comments?
AJB

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Went to my Dealer last week. I can place an order but they want $10,000.00 over sticker price. I will only pay Sticker or I can live without it.

AJB

That's always been my position as well. 'Only exception I've made is when I bought my FGT. And there were darn good reasons for doing so in that case... :wink :cheers

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
Try these guys, all you ever wanted to know about Shelby's

http://saacforum.com/index.php

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
my $.02, look at the prices of the 2007 GT500's or the 2008 GT500KR's. Wait a little a bit and you will have $10-$20k in your pocket

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Speaking of KRs. There are some still available at dealers. They can be had in the high 50's or low 60's for an '09. List was $83K+. Only 1600 were made and they have all the performance you (most) can ever use.

The 2011 GT500 is an awesome ride but IMHO while there are still KRs out there for the money thats what I'd buy. Next year I'm sure the 2012 GT500 will have more improvements and be faster etc. then the 2011. But...there aren't going to be any more KRs anytime soon.

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Love the KR's, but for the price I negotiated, I'm going with the 2011. Biggest reason? I'm going to daily drive this one and have fun with it. If I got a KR, I know I would turn it into another garage queen, and I just sold one of those to make room for the 11 Shelby.

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co

I'm with you. I won't pay a premium and will walk on the dealer if they can't work with me. If I had a dealer that would consistenly deal I'd buy even more than I do. I even waited till I could get sticker on my FGT. It's a matter of principle.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
What year do they switch to aluminum blocks?

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime

LTHL SVT

Apr 19, 2007
2011 and im on order for a black with flat black stripes i cant wait to get it one thing i will recommend after driving a freinds 2010 is to stiffen it upand the car handles sweet as far as performance slap on a bigger blower and you will have a low 10 sec car in the 1.4 with minimal driving

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
I agree. If your going to drive it as a daily or near daily then go with the 2011. The KR is more of a collector item.

FFCobra

GT Owner
Jul 2, 2006
GA
I'm ordering a red convertible. I like the SVT package, except the wheels and stripes. So I'll probably just go without the SVT package.

You can get them for close to invoice if you shop around. Dealers are needing the sales. I got mine for $1,500 over invoice.

Bill

Cody

GT Owner
Feb 1, 2007
Bee Cave/Lakeway,TX
From all the reviews I just didn't see a reason to wait for the 2011. I mean you save over a 100+ pounds off the nose but unless you are road racing or drag racing I don't see much difference. Here is my 2010!

28746_394736581879_285946731879_392.jpg

28746_394736566879_285946731879_392.jpg

28746_394736586879_285946731879_392.jpg

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I have an 08' and I would like the 100# weight loss.

But, there is a fix for most of what ails the GT500. It is the Griggs suspension. http://griggsracing.com/

I am installing a torque arm and Watts link as soon as my lift arrives. 4 corner coil overs after that.

Cody, you car is nice. :thumbsup

Cody

GT Owner
Feb 1, 2007
Bee Cave/Lakeway,TX

But, there is a fix for most of what ails the GT500. It is the Griggs suspension. http://griggsracing.com/

I am installing a torque arm and Watts link as soon as my lift arrives. 4 corner coil overs after that.

Cody, you car is nice. :thumbsup

I can see that coming from an 08 as I've worked on plenty. In 2010 they took alot of the earlier KR suspension and put it on the 2010 models. The only complaint was the suspension pop and I fixed that with a set of KW coilovers.:thumbsup

FFCobra

GT Owner
Jul 2, 2006
GA
From all the reviews I just didn't see a reason to wait for the 2011. I mean you save over a 100+ pounds off the nose but unless you are road racing or drag racing I don't see much difference. Here is my 2010!

Nice car.

But if you were getting a convertible, like I'm ordering, the 2011 is worth the effort. It is stiffer than 2010 and it allows for a better suspension set up.

Bill

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston

+1 on the Griggs stuff. I have their full front and rear setup on my 91 twin turbo notchback. Completely transforms the old Foxes....looking forward to your results on the S197!

Sanjay

PS....just got my Rush floor seats for the concert here in September! woo-hoo!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Doc,

Two peas in a pod here. My GT500 is a spectacular car. But IMHO it's short coming is the live axle combined with a fixed length Panhard bar. Not only does the Watt's link keep the axle travel up and down with the pumpkin in a fixed center location, The Torque arm, with it's much farther forward mounting point (than the upper 3rd member) really helps control axle wrap up on hard acceleration. What I did not like was the axle jump that would occur when accelerating out of a curve if you hit any kind of incongruous surface in the road. You know, like an expansion joint.

I bought the VIP pass this time. Maybe we'll get lucky and get to meet the guys (drawing) I really admire these guys. They just keep getting better. I love Snakes and Arrows. :thumbsup