2011-2013 Mustang GT Short Throw 6 speed Shifter

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
From "Fast News from Ford Racing" -

2011-2013 Mustang GT Short-Throw 6-Speed Shifter Now Available
Ford Racing Performance Parts now offers a short-throw shifter that fits the 2011-2013 Mustang GT equipped with a 6-speed manual transmission. The shifter delivers a shorter throw than the OEM unit and features a blue-anodized shifter handle and shifter bracket. For that classic muscle car look-and-feel, the shifter is topped off with a white Ford Racing-logo shifter ball. For more information and pricing...

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=22939

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Wonder who makes this shifter for Ford. Wasn't available this summer when I changed out mine on the Boss. The standard shifter makes a nice paper weight. Very strange rear mount (rubber lined metal hoop/bracket) likely the biggest shortfall in design. Original shift quality (feel and gating) was really poor. Rest of The Boss is so good, I was so surprised to see that this wasn't addressed in production validation units. (cost save??)

I installed the MGW shifter in my Boss and it is night and day improvement - GREAT PRODUCT.

Like the GT, shifter is probably the best modification for the car(s).

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
My son and I just installed a Barton rear mount on his 2013 GT to replace the oem mount. The Barton mount looks identical to the blue FRPP rear mount in the kit. I agree that the oem piece is junk.

It looks like the FRPP kit is very similar or perhaps the same as the Barton kit.

http://m.bartonindustries.com/2011-MUSTANG.html

Last edited:

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Cobrar-

I too want to replace my OE Ford shifter in my Boss and have been weighing my options. Way too many mis-shifts on the track, both up and down. I have driven a Boss with the MGW and it was crisp.

Really wonder how this new Ford Racing offering compares.

Kendall, any comments on the FR shifter?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
We've installed several of the MGW shifters and they have eliminated the miss-shift (under track conditions) that all of us were experiencing. I like patronizing MGW for their excellent product and timliness to market when Ford left us short on the "track ready" Boss 302's. Clearly, the Boss 302 is a fantastic car and there will always be room for improvement in any product but I think Ford could have done a better job in; 1) Cooling; 2) Shifter; and 3) OEM tires which, in the case of the Laguna Seca models, were completely junk. Cooling issues were addressed in the 2013 but not the shifter or tires. Both are easily remedied in the aftermarket... thanks to companies like MGW.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I don't know why cars don't come with that kind of shifter from the factory. It almost looks like they are leaving some dribblings for the aftermarket.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Thanks Kendall! :thumbsup

I always appreciate your technical opinions!

MGW shifter is now a go for order.....

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
My son and I put a MGW shifter into his 2011 GT500 last year as his first mod....... What a difference! Dick - you wont be sorry.