2010 zr1

JimmyK

GT Owner
May 27, 2008
Lafayette, California
Hi Guys, Jimmy K here. I am considering buying a 2009 ZR1 because it has the biggest engine GM has EVER produced - and the body is not bad looking - it's not a GT! I have heard that GM will probably not produce a ZR1 for the 2010 model year - and maybe never again. - Sound like another limited production car we know? Can anyone confirm if GM will or will not produce the ZR1 in 2010 - or beyond? Could be a good investment and a fun race against a GT. Thanks, Jimmy K

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I wouldn't know, but my guess is with the Feds running GM the Vette lifespan will be short. Profitable, who cares, it gets low MPG and isn't green.

Last edited:

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Regardless of what happens to GM, IMO you are not likely to lose money on a ZR1 at msrp in the short run. :cheers

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I have heard the the LSA motor is cheaper to produce than than the current ZR1 motor. I am sure the LSX is quite a but more $$$ with the dry sump and forged piston/rods.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Hi Guys, Jimmy K here. I am considering buying a 2009 ZR1 because it has the biggest engine GM has EVER produced - and the body is not bad looking - it's not a GT! I have heard that GM will probably not produce a ZR1 for the 2010 model year - and maybe never again. - Sound like another limited production car we know? Can anyone confirm if GM will or will not produce the ZR1 in 2010 - or beyond? Could be a good investment and a fun race against a GT. Thanks, Jimmy K

It's not the biggest motor in a Vett. The Z06 has a 7.0 Liter vs the ZR1 6.2 liter,, but it is the most powerful via the forced induction.. :biggrin

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
Its impossible to tell from one day to the next what GM is going to do, The Corvette plant has had many shutdowns for the 2009 model year. They may well produce a 2010 ZR1 but who knows. I have a 2009 ZR1 and its a Great car.

Spirit's Son

GT Owner
Jan 17, 2007
Bulverde, TX
It's not the biggest motor in a Vett. The Z06 has a 7.0 Liter vs the ZR1 6.2 liter,, but it is the most powerful via the forced induction.. :biggrin

not to mention the 8.1 in the Suburbans a few years ago and the good ol 454 :thumbsup

JimmyK

GT Owner
May 27, 2008
Lafayette, California
Team GT, Thanks for all the answers re: ZR1s for 2010. I misspoke - The 09 ZR1 does NOT have the biggest engine GM has ever built - it has the most POWERFUL! FordGT001 - which do you find faster in the Q Mile, or 0 to 60, your GT or your ZR1?? I would love to watch that race between two beautiful and powerful stocks!! Thanks again, Jimmy K

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
Team GT, Thanks for all the answers re: ZR1s for 2010. I misspoke - The 09 ZR1 does NOT have the biggest engine GM has ever built - it has the most POWERFUL! FordGT001 - which do you find faster in the Q Mile, or 0 to 60, your GT or your ZR1?? I would love to watch that race between two beautiful and powerful stocks!! Thanks again, Jimmy K

In my opinion the ZR1 is faster than my GT from 0-60 and the Quarter. Around a track its probably the ZR1 too. I'm sure other forum members here have there own opinion of these 2 cars and how they perform against each other.

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
No disrespect here at all, just my 2 cents. I bought my (2) GTs because they are UNIQUE, GORGEOUS, SEXY, FAST AS I WANT, easily maintained AMERICAN cars and a potentially good automotive investment (if that's possible). When I pull up to a redlight or am getting gas they draw a crowd which I personally like...some do not. I have 2 Corvettes now. They don't even draw the attention of My Prowler. Same with Mustangs. Corvettes and Mustangs are great bang for the buck, but they are everywhere. MOST people just can't realistically tell a new $40K base Vette from an $84K ZRI (sans the clear hood) and the same with a Mustang. I could care less which is faster, but I KNOW which is one of the best looking cars of all time and I smile and just feel good every time I drive the GT....can't say that so much about a Corvette or a Mustang imo.:cheers

Last edited:

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
In stock trim and with equally skilled drivers, the ZR1 should be faster; however, it's likely only a very small percentage of ZR1's have been modified vs a high percentage of FGT's have been modified to 600+ RWHP, which should clearly favor those FGT's. :cheers

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
No disrespect here at all, just my 2 cents. I bought my (2) GTs because they are UNIQUE, GORGEOUS, SEXY, FAST AS I WANT, easily maintained AMERICAN cars and a potentially good automotive investment (if that's possible). When I pull up to a redlight or am getting gas they draw a crowd which I personally like...some do not. I have 2 Corvettes now. They don't even draw the attention of My Prowler. Same with Mustangs. Corvettes and Mustangs are great bang for the buck, but they are everywhere. MOST people just can't realistically tell a new $40K base Vette from an $84K ZRI (sans the clear hood) and the same with a Mustang. I could care less which is faster, but I KNOW which is one of the best looking cars of all time and I smile and just feel good every time I drive the GT....can't say that so much about a Corvette or a Mustang imo.:cheers

+1

I was #2 on the Bill Heard/Tom Jumper ZR1 Atlanta list behind another Forum member but neither of us received a car because the dealer's seven 2009 allocations were all reserved for people further down the list who were willing to pay $30,000 over sticker. Some of them paid the $30,000 as a deposit. Only a couple of the ZR1's were delivered before the dealer unexpectedly closed the doors to all its dealerships (at least 7 or 8) and filed for bankruptcy. My good faith deposit was $1,000, but some of the instant gratification people lost $30,000 deposits. As time has passed, the desire to own a ZR1 has evaporated mainly because my initial dislike for the car's appearance is reinforced every time I see one, even though my intent was to have it converted to a convertible or roadster. It's a hell of a performer, but so is the Nissan GT-R. :cheers

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
+1
but so is the Nissan GT-R. :cheers

So I hear Kirby, but sure looks like a 5yo Celica in drag to me and just don't use that "launch feature".... I hear it's tied directly to your bank account lol. Wanna talk resale on on of these ......not even going there. Hey Kirby how is my twin Cobra doing? We need to get together!

H

HHGT

Once my ownership grew I quickly realized that not every car has to be crazy fast. The cars I buy have to be unique and generally speaking corvettes and mustangs are not, although there are collectibles in both categories.

In the end, you need to buy the car(s) that gives you the inner tingle and non of our opinions ultimately matter. Good luck with your endeavors whatever they may bring you.:cheers

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
In the end, you need to buy the car(s) that gives you the inner tingle and non of our opinions ultimately matter. Good luck with your endeavors whatever they may bring you.:cheers

Driving a BMW on Castro street in SF will be sure to bring you an inner tingle! Why don't you own one?

H

HHGT

Driving a BMW on Castro street in SF will be sure to bring you an inner tingle! Why don't you own one?

Driving a BMW on any street is G_Y:ack

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
I have heard the the LSA motor is cheaper to produce than than the current ZR1 motor. I am sure the LSX is quite a but more $$$ with the dry sump and forged piston/rods.

The ZR1 motor is actually called the "LS9." The LSX is an aftermarket block, available in iron or aluminum.