2010 Ford Shelby GT500

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
2010 Ford Shelby GT500 Packs More Powerful Punch, Still Increases Highway Fuel Mileage By 2 MPG
PR Newswire
March 31, 2009: 03:00 PM ET

-- Ford’s Special Vehicle Team (SVT) delivers a more-powerful 2010 Shelby GT500 with horsepower increased to 540, torque increased to 510 ft.-lb.

-- New gearbox enhancements, plus a standard 3.55:1 rear axle ratio, improves acceleration while providing better highway fuel efficiency - up 2 mpg compared with outgoing model

-- World-class materials and craftsmanship create the most unique GT500 interior yet

SAN FRANCISCO, March 31 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- The new 2010 Ford Shelby GT500 delivers the most power and refinement ever for a Ford SVT-tuned performance Mustang - and a few surprises, too.

Ford’s Special Vehicle Team used the gains made on the Shelby GT500KR "King of the Road" Mustang as the performance starting point. The design team, with a nod to the original Shelby Cobra from the 1960s, takes those cues even further with nuanced improvements in both the coupe and convertible, each boasting a more-refined interior.

Power comes from a supercharged and intercooled 5.4-liter dual overhead cam V-8 engine that produces 540 horsepower at 6,200 rpm and 510 ft.-lb. of torque at 4,500 rpm. The 2010 Shelby GT500 delivers improved straight-line acceleration, plus fuel savings when cruising on the highway in the top gears.

Gears 1-4 remain the same, but fifth gear changes from .80 to .74 while sixth gear goes from .63 to .50, meaning lower engine RPMs in those gears and improved fuel efficiency. The new final drive ratio, moving from 3.31 to 3.55, enables the improved acceleration in lower gears while complementing the revised fifth and sixth gear ratios.

The 2010 Shelby GT500 features AdvanceTrac(R), Ford’s stability control system, with several options for performance. The default "on" mode accommodates everyday driving, and a Sport mode delivers for those wanting to put the Shelby GT500 through its paces on the track. When turned off, the anti-lock brake system and other active safety systems remain in place.

Genuine materials such as leather in all seats, aluminum on the instrument panel and Alcantara(R) suede inserts on the seats and steering wheel give the 2010 Shelby GT500 a precisely crafted yet functional feel. Customers can select racing stripes on the seats that match the exterior stripes.

The aluminum finish panels have a unique three-dimensional dimpled texture pattern inspired by racing clutch plates, braided hoses and cross-drilled racing brake rotors. In addition, the GT500 logo has been discretely engraved into the aluminum in front of the passenger as a nod to classic Shelby Mustangs.

The 2010 Shelby GT500 will be in dealer showrooms in spring.

For the full 2010 Ford Shelby GT500 overview release and related materials, click here

Ford Motor Company

Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F), a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or distributes automobiles across six continents. With about 213,000 employees and about 90 plants worldwide, the company’s wholly owned brands include Ford, Lincoln, Mercury and Volvo. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford’s products, please visit www.ford.com.

SOURCE Ford Motor Company

CH53Driver

Shelby GT500 owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 20, 2008
Arkansas.
I look forward to seeing one in person. Thanks for the info.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
I've said it before, and I don't mean to rubbing salt in wounds by saying it again, but the 2010 GT500 stats and pricing have to really be irritating to those folks that bought a GT500KR.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 19, 2007
Frankfort Ill
What differences are there in the engine to gain the extra 40 ponies? I'm thinking about a local 2009 car. Are there a bunch of real changes or are most changes cosmetic? I'd rather the closer ratio overdrive of the 2009 anyway as long as the trans is as strong.

Thanks,

Steve

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
2010 GT500 Presentation

If anyone is in NorCal Ford will be having a presentation of the new 2010 GT500 at Novato Ford in Novato, CA on Thursday April 2 6:30pm - 8pm. Some Ford engineers will be there hosting the private presentation. I'm sure if you drive up in your FGT you'll be able to attend. During the day the presentation will be for media only.

Ed

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Tons of KR's including '08's out there. Best asking prices about 8K under sticker. Waiting to look at the new GT500 since the performance numbers seem to stack up to the KR. Big question...is the KR worth 25K or so more than a new GT500?

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I've said it before, and I don't mean to rubbing salt in wounds by saying it again, but the 2010 GT500 stats and pricing have to really be irritating to those folks that bought a GT500KR.

I'm not irritated in the least...

I wanted a KR, irrespective of the pricing or performance differences with the GT500. There will always be another model year and an improvement in the price/performance ratio. In the meantime, instead of waiting for the next model/change I have been enjoying my KR as my daily driver. I am happy to trade my dollars for the enjoyment I have received to date.

Life is short. Enjoy what is available today, you might not be here tomorrow. Waiting sucks...

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Live for today.

I'm not irritated in the least...

I wanted a KR, irrespective of the pricing or performance differences with the GT500. There will always be another model year and an improvement in the price/performance ratio. In the meantime, instead of waiting for the next model/change I have been enjoying my KR as my daily driver. I am happy to trade my dollars for the enjoyment I have received to date.

Life is short. Enjoy what is available today, you might not be here tomorrow. Waiting sucks...

Well said Chris. +1 from AZ.

Chip

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Minor changes for the power increase, cold air box for instance (note the cobra badge on the front grill has swapped sides because of the CAI)

I believe the car it self it very different, with a carry over power train, that has been tweaked. Interior is also VERY different, and lots of small cool items, like antenna is now in the back, and the washer jets are gone from the hood. I am sure others know much more than I....

What differences are there in the engine to gain the extra 40 ponies? I'm thinking about a local 2009 car. Are there a bunch of real changes or are most changes cosmetic? I'd rather the closer ratio overdrive of the 2009 anyway as long as the trans is as strong.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
If anyone is in NorCal Ford will be having a presentation of the new 2010 GT500 at Novato Ford in Novato, CA on Thursday April 2 6:30pm - 8pm. Some Ford engineers will be there hosting the private presentation. I'm sure if you drive up in your FGT you'll be able to attend. During the day the presentation will be for media only.

Ed

Jamal will probably be there. He's out in Sonoma doing the 2010 long lead launch and they were at Infineon the other day. He's going to be out there all week and I'd imagine he'll be involved in that.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
As for the KR thing, if you bought a KR, you probably aren't that pissed because people who blow $80k on Mustangs probably will be able to stomach trading if they feel like it. For the record though, the KR will still be faster around a racetrack than the 2010, it will be waaaaay more collectible, and it's a "legit" Shelby (if you're into that). It's the only GT500 that actually involves SAI in a pre-title program, and I'd be stunned if it wasn't the last time that ever happened.

That said, the 2010 has an interior that is leaps and bounds better, and I love the way it looks. Also, if you think the 2010 pisses of the 2008 KR owner, remember, there will be a time that the 2010 owner will feel the same, and it will probably be sooner than you think

DanM

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 31, 2006
Stillwater, MN
KR Purchases

I also bought a KR and waited until from March till October till mine arrived. My only frustration in buying one is I missed all summer of 08 driving it and only had it for four weeks till winter started. I fired it up over the weekend and filled it up and now am waiting for the snow flakes to stop so I can have fun again. I agree with Dave, the Shelby part makes it more collectable and interesting. I also prefer the 2008/2009 exterior to the 2010. I grew up with a Ford family and have fond memories as a kid in the late 60s mustangs. I have no regrets just wishing it was warmer.

Oh, the best part of the KR is turning the key, the sound is unforgettable.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
As Chris says a KR would make a good daily driver, which is what I'm interested in. As always, DBK has good insightful comments. I'm leaning towards a KR if I get a 'stang. Vettes don't do much for me styling wise. Challenger looks cool, but I know a Ford is just a much better built solid car.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California

Ed

Sounds like fun, are you going ED? I work late Thursday's, so cannot make it.

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
The 2010 GT500 is the first Mustang that has really caught my attention since I bought my Fox notchback used back in 1994. It is disappointing that Ford didn't take this opportunity to fit the TVS blower on it, but I'm sure Dustin Whipple will have a remedy for that problem soon enough. :biggrin

Question: Is the Premier interior trim going to be available, with the leather wrapped dash, like it was in 2007-09?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
GT500 Presentation by Ford

Triheart7 - I won't be able to make it either. It's my date night with the wife. I'll be driving the GT this weekend so a car thing instead of our date night would not work out.

Ed

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Triheart7 - I won't be able to make it either. It's my date night with the wife. I'll be driving the GT this weekend so a car thing instead of our date night would not work out.

Ed

Sounds like a better plan!!!

thrashdu2002

Feb 26, 2007
Fortuna,Ca
thanks for the headsup dbk. i dont work that far from novato :)

my personal opinion i would like to see the gt 500 with 4.30 gears in it. a roush that i sold had the 4.30's and it seemed to be so quick from 0-60. it seemed more powerful then our gt350.