Paul Vincent

Oct 20, 2005

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Sure is. :thumbsup

I read the various analyst coverage summaries, and they are comical. My favorites characterize the Ford recovery as a 'Cost' story, others as a 'Revenue' story. The truth is, it's closer to a 'Margin' story - and going forward, led by global product. There is one line in that attachment that kinda speaks to it: "And before you go thinking they boosted their sales to fleets to make the grade, they actually reduced sales to daily rental agencies by some 40%." -- that translates to greater retail volumes, which are more 'profitable' sales. And if you think the F series sales numbers look good on a volume basis, it gets even better when you discover that those same F series volumes are heavily biased to option rich - read: margin. Too many analysts trying to project F earnings looking at traditional metrics of SAAR, net year/year volumes, market share, et.al.

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
This is up an astounding 19% over 2009 and the leading increase in sales of any full-line manufacturer. Additionally the Blue Oval saw the second year in a row of high market share.

:thumbsup :biggrin

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Just ordered :
1. a new 2011 F-Series with the 5.0 L V-8....I will use it to tow to RallyVI in SaltLake City in August.
2. a new 2012 Focus for the 'little-fuel-efficient'' car in the stable...
GO FORD !
AJB andy

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Just ordered :
1. a new 2011 F-Series with the 5.0 L V-8....I will use it to tow to RallyVI in SaltLake City in August.

Nice! Should be a major, major upgrade over the 5.4.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Where is my F150 with the 6 cylinder diesel?

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
The 6-cylinder will be gas with the Eco-boost twin - turbo I believe.
AJB

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Where is my F150 with the 6 cylinder diesel?

Curious -- Diesel powertrain because you are thinking - fuel economy, future fuel price, towing, or just personal preference?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Curious -- Diesel powertrain because you are thinking - fuel economy, future fuel price, towing, or just personal preference?

All of the above. I think Ford (and the other manufacturers) are really missing the boat on this. Perhaps Ford has determined a 6 cylinder diesel F150 would cannibalize too many F250 sales, but I still want one.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The 6-cylinder will be gas with the Eco-boost twin - turbo I believe.
AJB

I was looking at the specs of the V6 eco-boost, on the surface looks like I would prefer the eco-boost.

What are the pro and cons of the eco-boost vs. the 5.0

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
The 3.5L GTDI V6 is the premium motor in the F150 lineup. It costs more than the 5.0 because it has the highest towing capacity in the lineup. It's also better than any of the V8's from competitors. I have yet to drive one but would be interested to see how different it behaves compared to the setup in the SHO. I hear the torque curve is just about a straight line.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
The 3.5L GTDI V6 is the premium motor in the F150 lineup. It costs more than the 5.0 because it has the highest towing capacity in the lineup. It's also better than any of the V8's from competitors. I have yet to drive one but would be interested to see how different it behaves compared to the setup in the SHO. I hear the torque curve is just about a straight line.

And the avatars continue to confound. Must be a generational thing....:)

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California

The specs seem very nice an awesome setup. From what I can see that engine is not available for sale yet, but read early 2011. I don't see this engine option on Fords build a car web site.

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington

I'm looking to buy a new F150 also - thought about the ecoboost but I like the new 6.2L V8. I want to stay gas and this engine has 7700 GVRW capability.

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
I will step out on a limb and say If I am not "thee" then I am "one of" the biggest long time Ford fans.
The company's improvements are outstanding.
Car design, upper management focus and the enthusiasm is as good as it gets in today's world.

However.
I see something I don't like creeping in at the plant level. Corruption big time getting in the way of innovation, long term quality and cost savings.

I saw it in the early1980's after that big recession and house cleaning. The Indians left without wise chiefs ran wild. It will take a few years but unfortunately I know first hand it is going to haunt them again.

I just hope history doesn't repeat its self this time.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I will step out on a limb and say If I am not "thee" then I am "one of" the biggest long time Ford fans.
+1
I just hope history doesn't repeat its self this time.
+1 Hopefully Mullaly can keep it under control?

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Two Winners.

Gentlemen,

GM also had a sales increase BUT, it consisted of all fleet and rental car sales. GM's retail market share (excluding fleet & rental cars) actually dropped almost 2%!! Uncle Sam is buying a TON of Government Motors cars, especially hybrids.

Last weekend Charley and I travelled to Jimmy Graham's dealership in California, Santa Margarita Ford, where I ordered him a brand new red 2112 Mustang (Mustang Club of America Special Edition) to take to Texas A&M next year. I told Charley if he kept his grades up and worked hard on the field I'd send him off to college in a new ride. It worked as his first semester senior year GPA was 4.2 and he is the only football player at his school that made this seasons Arizona All-State Football Team!! Way to go C4 and FORD!!!

Chip

Attachments

• M5.jpg
    M5.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 54

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Chip, Did you say you used to be an Olds/Pontiac (Lotus) dealer?

How did you become such a Ford man? Not that I am complaining!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
GM also had a sales increase BUT, it consisted of all fleet and rental car sales.

Hate to disagree when someone is taking a dump on GM, but their retail sales were up big too. You can argue how much of their sales numbers were just people moving from Pontiac to Chevy or similar, but no matter how you slice it, their year over year retail sales were up 27%.

H

HHGT

Sorry guys but I guess I am the spoiler here. I never understood Brand Loyalty. When it comes to Automobiles, I buy Value. To me that means Price, Performance, Comfort, Resale and Appeal all in one package. Having said that, thank God Ford built the GT and way to go Sales Wise.:thumbsup:thumbsup

And no Clinton, BMW has little Value the way I defined it, so don't bother...