2006 Ferrari 612 vs. 2008 Mercedes CL65

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
Contemplating one of these 2 cars for my everyday car. Live in Fla. and drive about 10 miles each way for work. Looking for a fist in a velvet glove...luxury and all day cruising comfort with significant performance. Both seem to be decent deals (based on their original MSRP's) at about 120k.

The Mercedes has better electronics and the dealer is around the corner, but the F car is an F car and doesn't look like a lesser model (referring to the CL 550, etc).

Any advice...any owners... anyone driven either or both??
Thx.

H

HHGT

Mercedes for better resale value, especially when the miles accrue.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Poor baby! What a delema to have! :lol :thumbsup

Just looking at it from the standpoint of relative exclusivity (by that I mean you wouldn't be "running into yourself" around every corner), I'd go with the F-car. But, that would be my ONLY reason for going with it. There's MUCH TO BE SAID for having a Benz dealer right around the corner - and NOT having Ferrari's super duty service vacuum nozzle welded to you wallet...permanently switched to the "full on" postion. :bored The Benz probably would not sit anywhere near as long waiting for parts either should that become something you'd need to face one day.

'Just my 2 cents...

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
Benz would definitely be more "practical", but there is something about that tailored leather interior on Ferrari that just grabs me. Thanks for the 2 cents.

I could just drive the FGT everyday, but I think it would turn into a chore (trying to keep it clean and finding just the right parking spot to open the door, etc) instead of a special treat.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
depends on how much driving you are going to do. low miles get the F car. Higher miles get the Benz. I GUARANTEE if you put high miles on the F car it will be in the shop more and usually those services take awhile and cost a good amount. The Benz on the other hand if it breaks they have lots of techs and get the repairs done quickly.

These are from first hand experience from owning a couple F cars and many Benzs.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
I picked up a used......errr....pre-owned :lol SL55 last month to leave in Vegas and am very happy with it. I agree with Mullet, most people that I know who have had the F-car loved to drive it, but sold it due to the :eek eye popping maintenance bills.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I picked up a used......errr....pre-owned :lol

No!, no!, no!, you FOOL! That's, "preeevaahusly REJAAHSTAAARD". :smash

('Uncultured clod...:rofl)

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
:agree: :lol :cheers

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
My CL65 with an ECU mod makes 744 ft lbs of torque at the rear wheels. Made 634 ft lbs stock. Try that in ANY Ferrari!

When I first got my FGT, my brother and I lined up on the hwy, and from a 70 mph punch, the CL stayed right with the (then stock) GT until 140+. Just amazing.

In all seriousness....there is no better DD lux-coupe than the CL65. Period! I'm on my second one....once you've experience the torque of the twice-turboed Twelve...you will be spoiled for life.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I'm not a fan of the 612 personally. One of the few Ferrari's that just never impressed me.

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
I Simply LOVE the Ferrari. But that Benz is the ultimate luxury sledgehammer. I'd SO rock that car. Power, ferocity, exclusiveness to those that know, and for all the attention the 612 grabs on the street, I'd be buying the car for ME not THEM. And the CL is a total beast!!!

If I was gonna grab a new daily, it would be a CL65 or an SL like Tom found.

As for you pockets, 'previously registered' is ideally what your cars were. Certainly not previously "enjoyed" (well, not beyond the garage stall anyway). :rofl Totally kidding EP, I know you managed to get more miles on than some. Not many, but some. :thumbsup

No!, no!, no!, you FOOL! That's, "preeevaahusly REJAAHSTAAARD". :smash

('Uncultured clod...:rofl)

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
As for you pockets, 'previously registered' is ideally what your cars were. Certainly not previously "enjoyed" (well, not beyond the garage stall anyway). :rofl Totally kidding EP, I know you managed to get more miles on than some. Not many, but some. :thumbsup

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, shuddup! :lol :cheers