2006 Clutch slipping

Red Ace

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2009
Pacific Palisades, CA
It's time for a new clutch for my GT. any recommendations on parts and place near Los Angeles, CA

ROCK

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2006
Miami
If you don't mind my asking, how does it feel a clutch is slipping ?
Do you feel it slipping when driving at normal speeds ?

Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
It's time for a new clutch for my GT. any recommendations on parts and place near Los Angeles, CA

Depends on the amount of HP & Torque you want to put through it. If staying stock-through-pulley & tune, Stillen is in Costa Mesa and has a clutch many have liked. For OEM, have Kendall & Ryan at Cooltech LLC, put one in (nota4re).

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Red Ace - We've done numerous clutch replacements. Send me a PM and we'll connect. We can explain the different characteristics of the OEM clutch versus the SPEC clutch and let you decide which would be best for you. We can pick up the GT in our GT-specific enclosed trailer and bring it back to you good as new. My email is kpond@sbcglobal.net

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Kendall, have you done any Stillen clutches? Do you have an opinion on them, vs Spec? I have a McLeod RXT in my Whippled GT500 and love it. The GT Guys are putting a Whipple on my GT, and I am having the clutch replaced too. They have recommended the Stillen, but I have reservations, thinking maybe the Spec is more stout. I never hear about a McLeod in a GT.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I have driven GTs with Stillen clutches as well as, SPEC clutches (various different models), and, of course, OEM. Stillen does not make their own clutch and I know at one time they were shopping OEMs to re-brand. I want to know what I am getting if I'm going to recommend it. Second, and I honestly forget which Stillen model it was, there was a an extra spacer/adapter to get the right tolerances for the throw-out bearing to function correctly. I'd prefer a clutch that was manufactured to the EXACT OEM clutch specifications - with no need for adapters/spacers. That said, I thought the Stillen clutch felt good - perhaps closest to an OEM feel.

In contrast to Stillen, the SPEC guys are clutch EXPERTS. This is what they do. In 2006/7, I chatted with them at their SEMA booth.... asking them if they had a clutch application for our GTs. They had FOUR. And the guys could talk to you ad nauseam about the differences, clamping and engagement nuances, longevity, etc. We've been using them ever since and the fit/fitment, quality, etc of every unit we have received has been top notch.

I don't intend to diss the Stillen clutch. I have just never been compelled to consider it with both the OEM and SPEC choices available.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
SPEC ST trim

dtomaso1

GT Owner
Dec 6, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona

dtomaso1

GT Owner
Dec 6, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
Stillen Stage 1. No spacers, went right in. Direct fit. Replaceable inards by AP racing. Clean and precise.
T

Description: STILLEN 2005-2006 Ford GT Performance Street Clutch by AP Racing - Stage 1 -

Last edited:

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Thanks for the info, guys. Dtomaso1, I am confused. The link you referenced talks about your Stillen clutch recommendation, and then you mention here the Spec SS. :confused

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal

Yes, Kendall (nota4re) and Ryan (Cool Tech LLC)- They obviously do not need my endorsement, top notch all the way around-

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
I've installed both the Stillen and the Spec units.
I think both are good choices. It all depends on your driving style (racing or street use), and your power level.
On a car like Chip's #34, a Stillen would last about 1 trip around the block. In a stock or slightly modified car, the Stillen works great. Much better than the stock unit. The Stillen uses a better friction material on the clutch plates than stock. There is a very noticeable pedal effort difference between the two. I actually took a Spec unit out of a GT as the effort was more than the owner wanted to deal with. The inner disc had actually seized on the trans input shaft, and we had a hell of a time removing it.

My personal opinion? I really like the Stillen unit. Unless you are racing, or have serious power, the Spec unit is like using a cannon to kill a bug.
My biggest advice is to stay out of parades, stop and go car cruises, and novice drivers. (see attached picture) They are brutal on clutches.

Attachments

• GT pictures 002.jpg
    GT pictures 002.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 242

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
I've installed both the Stillen and the Spec units.
On a car like Chip's #34, a Stillen would last about 1 trip around the block. In a stock or slightly modified car, the Stillen works great. Much better than the stock unit. The Stillen uses a better friction material on the clutch plates than stock. There is a very noticeable pedal effort difference between the two. I actually took a Spec unit out of a GT as the effort was more than the owner wanted to deal with. The inner disc had actually seized on the trans input shaft, and we had a hell of a time removing it.

Do you recall if the Spec unit referenced above was the ST unit? There are different models for both Spec and Stillen, correct?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
GT Tech speaks as though there is one SPEC clutch where the reality is that there are 4. It all depends on what your requirements are. For the twin-turbo cars, the SPEC ST is what we have used. It is a VERY heavy clutch compared to stock but it really holds the horsepower. At the other end of the spectrum is the Spec SS-trim. This is the clutch that I would use if I ever needed to replace mine. It might occasionally have a bit of a chat-chat if you don't engage it right, but it is overall a VERY smooth clutch with a very linear action. Pedal effort is very close to OEM. If you want a clutch with a little bit of extra performance and good, positive linearity, then this is the clutch we prefer. If some extra performance and improved linearity is not in the cards for you, there's always the stock clutch.

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
So what would be the preferred clutch for a whippled car that does occasional spirited driving but no racing?

dtomaso1

GT Owner
Dec 6, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
Thanks for the info, guys. Dtomaso1, I am confused. The link you referenced talks about your Stillen clutch recommendation, and then you mention here the Spec SS. :confused

Sorry SFSDFGT. You are right. I inadvertently grabbed the wrong screen scrape info. Rich Roebeck and I did put the Stillen stage 1 in the 2006 GT, and am very happy with it. This is the clutch with the AP racing internal parts. We also replaced the flywheel with an OEM Ford unit as well as the OEM clutch slave. Highly recommend replacing the slave as to get to it later requires the same teardown.

Best, T

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
So what would be the preferred clutch for a whippled car that does occasional spirited driving but no racing?

Spec SS. I think this clutch would be fine up through 900 RWHP. If more than that, I'd use the Spec ST.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Kendall put Spec SS in my car. It's smooth as butter. Wife loves to drive it because it's so easy to drive.(may be a good or bad thing).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Great information, everybody. Thank you!