2006 Brake Rotors and Calipers

gitarzan

Jul 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
Howdy Everyone,
I have an '06 and had it at the track dialing in some performance settings and after one run in particular I noticed one of the front brakes was smoking and seemed particularly hot. I stopped and let it cool and ever since I've noticed that the car will pull hard to the right when braking.

I have a spare set of calipers and rotors that I got a long time ago and do not know if they are fronts or rears. I saw on one thread that the calipers are the same front and rear and I measured the rotors and they measure the same, too. But, the Ford dealer lists fronts and rears with different part numbers.

Can anyone either confirm or deny that the front and rear calipers are the same or different and same question on the rotors.

I may have warped on of the rotors. But it doesn't shimmy like a warped rotor when braking. It just pulls to the right.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

gitarzan

Jul 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
Also, does anyone know of a good shop to do work on a GT in the Clearwater, FL area?

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Fronts are 25mm (???) larger in dia.

Impossible to tell from a description if the left brake is not working or if the right brake is sticking. Which one got hot?

gitarzan

Jul 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
But they use the same calipers front and rear?

The front right got hot.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
The GT Guys are on their way to Florida right now. IDK if it's too late for them to help you out.

Front rotors are 14". Rear rotors are 13.2".

Front and rear calipers are wheel specific and are not interchangeable.

Brake pull diagnosis:

1. Check tire pressure.
2. Check brake pads for uneven taper or excessive wear.
3. Check rotors and hubs for damage.
4. Check suspension components and alignment.

Sounds like a caliper to me. Maybe pads are dragging and overheating the rotor.

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Assuming you are running a full OEM set up, the Ferodo OEM pads are fine for the street, but track, using the car more fully than an avg driver, they are not up to the task. I personally use Padgid Yellow (tried blacks, yellows worked better). 2nd, I changed to a Girodisc 2 piece front rotor. I had no brake issues at this last rally at Spring mountain (brakes lasted longer than tires for once). 3rd and the most important of all, hopefully fluid have been FULLY flushed. Im using Castrol SRF. Others have had good luck with lesser priced fluids like Motul etc.

The pulling could be because of drag, and the overheating. While wheels are off, pull the retaining pins, and be sure the pads are not binding in any way in the caliper, and able to "float". While there you can also visually inspect the caliper pistons and seals.

gitarzan

Jul 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
Hi,
Thanks for the help.
The car was aligned after the track incident as I thought that might be part of the problem. It still pulls on braking.

Tire pressure is fine. I installed a TPMS in the car and I double check tire pressures each week.

I'll have to put my eyeballs on the pads, rotors and calipers. It's not overheating during normal driving and doesn't drag when off the brakes. Only when I brake hard does it pull. Nice and easy stops it's not so bad.

Thinking of putting carbon brakes on it. Might just do that now.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
OK, good luck. Stormcat went carbon. You should ask DBK to give you owner status, so that you can send PMs. Lots of GTs in your area.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Full carbon pads and rotors, or carbon based pads, and iron rotors? If the former, please keep us posted on the package you use, and how the ebrake is handled. Also if the package supports OEM wheels (stormcats ZR-1 ccb package is too big for OEM wheels)