2005 Vs 2006 differences

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I was with a buddy today who has a 2006, vs my 2005 - and noticed some differences in the clamshell fittings -

My 2005 has a painted clip mounted over the top edge of the clamshell (at the edge where the clamshell meets the roof), starting from underneath and wrapping around the clamshell to fit just under the edge of the glass; one on each side. It hides the gap between the outer edge and the centre portion. His 2006 doesn't have this; you see the gap between the two pieces on his, but that being said, his clamshell closes and locks easily with only slight downward pressure starting at about 6" above the closed position. I have to start a few inches higher up and apply a fair bit more pressure, and I can see the indentation of those clips in the rubber seal, so I believe that may contribute to the issue I have. (somewhat fighting with the clamshell to close it). Maybe that was a running change through the two years to help alleviate the issue. On mine - it's almost impossible to gently close and then apply a lot of downward pressure to lock.

His closes easily, with no undue pressure.

His clamshell support mount (bracket) has a spring with small rubber pad - where mine has a straight adjustable bumper-stop. When I release his interior latch to open the clamshell, his clamshell raises up a bit - whereas mine stays shut and I have to lift from the sides to unstick the clamshell. Not a big issue...just sayin'...

Today, we put a very thin washer under each of the spring loaded clamshell latching mechanisms (left and right) to raise the entire mechanism 1.5mm, which helps a bit in closing the latch. I don't have to apply as much pressure now and the clamshell sits at the exact same height as before the change. I thought it was interesting - noting the differences between the two cars.

Interestingly enough, the assembly line guys @ Ford had decided that my right side bumper-stop would work better being cross-threaded into the mount. I disagree. I noticed this today and will pull out my tap and die to try and rectify the issue.

What I also noticed, was that all of the nuts/screws that hold the 2 slotted centre "vents" on the lower part of the clamshell were very loose - with one gone altogether and another one about to fall off. I'll use some Loctite to address that issue and find a nut to replace the one that fell off.

Defines a whole new meaning to the tagline "Built Ford Tough"!

It's not the stuff I see that bothers me; it's the stuff I don't or can't see that's the issue.

---------------------------------------------------end of rant--------------------------------------------------------

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
The clips were on early 05 builds and were only for aesthetics in an attempt to diminish the appearance of the gap between the roof and clamshell. I have the same clips. These shouldn't, however, to my knowledge have any affect on the amount of pressure required to close the shell.

The clamshell latch was also a changed after the early 05 builds. You can buy a kit to convert to the improved version. I haven't found it necessary....yet.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
Not sure where the issues stems from if not from the additional thickness of the clips, but you say the latch was changed in later builds...and from what I saw, the ONLY difference between the two was not the latch itself, but the bump-stops as I noted on my original post. Maybe there something internally I didn't see though. If you haven't tried a later build with the improved latch design...you'd be amazed at the difference and how little it takes to lock the clamshell!

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Ah, you're correct. I misspoke, the spring/rubber bumper was changed for later builds. The 'sticking' issue you have is peculiar though. I don't have that problem, but given the variability of panel fitment between cars, it certainly is possible those clips are causing the opening and closing problems you're having.
I'm guessing if you tweaked the fitment of the clamshell, that might alleviate the problem.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
That's possible, yup. For now, I'd be happy if it were just a bit easier to lock it down. I'm going to dig a bit deeper and see if there's anything needing a bit of KY to make things slide easier. Don't know if I want to screw with the fit - already have a door that needs to have the unlock button pressed twice to open and all the adjustments in the world didn't change that. LOL

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
As bonehead noted, the clamshell clips are not a model year difference. They disappeared around VIN 800 of '05, when the clamshell pressing was modified to cover the bonding lines. The clips serve no mechanical function. Purely aesthetic.

Credit to gtjoey for documenting the minutia in "Ford GT - The Complete Owners Experience."

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
That's possible, yup. For now, I'd be happy if it were just a bit easier to lock it down. I'm going to dig a bit deeper and see if there's anything needing a bit of KY to make things slide easier. Don't know if I want to screw with the fit - already have a door that needs to have the unlock button pressed twice to open and all the adjustments in the world didn't change that. LOL

My '05 is pretty hard to lock down too. Some days if I can't find my rubber mallet, I just don't. The '06 closes with the slightest touch.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
FBA another difference between the 05's and 06's is the use in 05 of a screen in front of the radiator. This screen was removed on the 06 models to increase airflow over the heat exchanger. Also some of the early 05's had the CNC A-frames. Not really a model change issue, just a difference if one were to look at a GT and try to determine general build date. CNC arms would definately point to an 05 model.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
The spring bumpers on the latches were also a running change occurring some time after unit 375 in 2006. Neither of the early 06s I have had came with the spring bumpers. I had to add them. They do help both opening and closing vs the hard stops.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
The clamshell spring stoppers came from 2001 - 2005 Thunderbird trunks, if you like scouring junkyards for GT parts.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
The passenger and driver door latching mechanism also was changed between years. I believe there is a very extensive thread documenting the build changes made during production cycle.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
I switched to the spring loaded stops as well. Be careful removing you rigid ones as one of my bolts snapped.

As for the loose tap screws on the clamshell, I think this is VERY common. The only way to officially fix would be to buy new plastic vent/surrounds as the screws only tap ONCE. After that you'll have so simply glue them (the screws) back in place.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I was with a buddy today who has a 2006, vs my 2005 - and noticed some differences in the clamshell fittings -

My 2005 has a painted clip mounted over the top edge of the clamshell (at the edge where the clamshell meets the roof), starting from underneath and wrapping around the clamshell to fit just under the edge of the glass; one on each side. It hides the gap between the outer edge and the centre portion. His 2006 doesn't have this

Some time ago it was explained to me that the clip was there to hide the cracking that takes place in that joint. I believe the Ford dev team referred to them as 'band-aides'.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
FBA another difference between the 05's and 06's is the use in 05 of a screen in front of the radiator. This screen was removed on the 06 models to increase airflow over the heat exchanger. Also some of the early 05's had the CNC A-frames. Not really a model change issue, just a difference if one were to look at a GT and try to determine general build date. CNC arms would definately point to an 05 model.

also the gauge cluster plate, the finish seems different from 05 to 06

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
I switched to the spring loaded stops as well. Be careful removing you rigid ones as one of my bolts snapped.

As for the loose tap screws on the clamshell, I think this is VERY common. The only way to officially fix would be to buy new plastic vent/surrounds as the screws only tap ONCE. After that you'll have so simply glue them (the screws) back in place.
Where did you find the new stops? From Ford? The screws are fine; only the nut fell off on one, so I'm ok there! The screws are fine; only the nut fell off on one, so I'm ok there! One of my stops was cross-threaded and I removed it easily yesterday, but just need to retap the base, which should be simple enough.

Last edited:

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Where did you find the new stops? From Ford?

Torrie

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
The second version was off the retro tbird 2002 and so on , just remove the rubber boot cover....I read it in a book somewhere........tee hee......

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Your clamshell doesn't pop up because the struts are worn. YOu can put on new struts or live with it.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...You can put on new struts or live with it.

Torrie stocks them!

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
The struts are likely not worn at 4k miles...they actually hold it up perfectly in all positions. It's probably just the fit that needs some tweaking...I can feel it sticking, but not really an issue worth screwing with...

Probably using some seal lube would fix that IMO.