2005/06 Final Production Line Photos, Canadian Export/Heritage GTs

blown-v8

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2018
Columbus, Ohio
A long (GT) story, not-so-short:

My GT obsession and eventual acquisition of a 1,000 mile 2005 GT this summer is likely is solely based in the fact that I was offered the rare opportunity to personally observe the final days of assembly line production of Ford GTs back in August of 2006. While I was too young to have witnessed the original assembly of early Mustangs, Shelby's, and Boss Mustangs that I have been a part of restoring in the last few decades, the opportunity to see the 05/06's being built all but changed my (car) life. The entire story, and my photos-- for me--is still a bit surreal in that it resulted from a rare and coincidental opportunity out of a need for NOS/out of stock parts for a 2000 Cobra R Mustang that somehow lead me to the Ford GT.

As the story goes, after being shot down by my local dealer, via eBay, I was able to find and meet one of the SVT engineers that was responsible for the Cobra R. He and I ended up chatting, and eventually meeting months later in the middle of an asphalt parking lot at the Spring Ford Swap Meet in Columbus Ohio in 2006 for the purchase of a NOS Cobra R steering rack. Once we met in person, I inquired as to how he acquired all of the NOS/obsolete Cobra R parts that I was interested in buying for my R. One car-guy-conversation led to the next. Eventually he realized I was truly a Ford guy, and he told me that Ford offered him the opportunity to buy all the residual 2000 Cobra R parts, and this was the reason why he had them for sale. Knowing at this point in the mid 2000s that the SVT program was all but dissolved, I was curious what he was doing these day, and the conversation continued.

After more than an hour or so of conversing, it came out that he was now working for Saleen. I was intrigued, but not shocked being that he was working in metro Detroit since a good car guy would clearly find another home in the area. The conversation continued and I made the comment that obviously he was now working with Saleen to convert Mustangs to Saleen's in Michigan. A pause occurred, and the words that likely changed my car life forever came out of his mouth. "No, we are building the Ford GT for Ford" were the words that he stated. My jaw dropped in the manner that often occurs when today--in 2018--I inform a 2005/06 GT owner that Ford didn't build their GT. Saleen did. I watched Saleen-badged employees hand-push GTs on to car carriers with full interiors, no engine on their way to "assembly" at Wixom, lol. Deny all ya want, I have the photos! :)

Fast forward many months. He and I emailed back and forth a fair bit leading up to August. Keeping in mind, this was about 12/13 years ago, and we didn't text quite the way we do today. He had offered me four spots for four friends, me included. He said no cameras, no videos, and he'd give us a behind the scenes VIP tour of the GT Plant around the Woodward Dream Cruise in August of 2006. As we got closer to the first part of August, he emails with some subject along the lines of "game changer." I open the email fearing the worst and the "tour" was off. The email basically said "we are in the final days of production of the Ford GT, namely Canadian Exports, and end-run of 2006's. There are no trade secrets, bring your cameras, bring your friends, come one, come all. Your previously awesome VIP tour will be even more amazing."

I truly had no idea what to expect, but between me and the dozen or so friends I ended up bringing along, we shot a few hundred photos, many of which I am guessing have never been seen (maybe they have, and if so, I am unaware), containing pretty much every step at the Ford GT/SSC Plant. My issue today is that I LOVE sharing these with my local GT friends, yet in more than a dozen years, I have not done anything formal with them, in the thoughts that eventually someone may end up documenting the build of our amazing GTs. Soooo, long ass story short, this is where my obsession started; the ultimate question is: what do I do with the photos I have? Should they all go online for everyone to view now, or wait for someone (not me, lol) to put together a formal publication for the whole world to see?

I will share a few photos, and appreciate any thoughts or suggestions any of you may have as to what's best for the other couple hundred photos!

Thanks! Jeremy (blown-v8)

Attachments

• 100_0163.JPG
    100_0163.JPG
    286.2 KB · Views: 236
  • 100_0147.JPG
    100_0147.JPG
    243.5 KB · Views: 237
  • 100_0181.JPG
    100_0181.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 238
  • 100_0194.JPG
    100_0194.JPG
    224.8 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_0648.jpg
    IMG_0648.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 236

blown-v8

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2018
Columbus, Ohio
more

Attachments

• IMG_0654.jpg
    IMG_0654.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_0678.jpg
    IMG_0678.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_0674.jpg
    IMG_0674.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_0659.jpg
    IMG_0659.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_0668.jpg
    IMG_0668.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 235

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Congratulations on your GT purchase. Many of us visited the Saleen facility in Troy and took pictures. The first Forum rally included a Saleen tour. Pick out your most interesting photos and post them here. It’s always fun to relive that moment in Ford GT history.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
+1, we had our 1st GT rally there. We spent the whole day there. We filled the parking lots and front lawn.

Boy we didnt know what a pain these things were going to be

Attachments

• GT Event 136.jpg
    GT Event 136.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 225
  • GT Event 179.jpg
    GT Event 179.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 229
  • GT Event 182.jpg
    GT Event 182.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 226
  • GT Event 184.jpg
    GT Event 184.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 220

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Cool pics for sure!
My car was made the last week of Aug!

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
I used to drive by the building when they were making the GT's. My company was a couple miles away. Always (dreamed) wanted one. I like how things turned out many years later.

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
Wow! Now that is pretty cool.

We purchased #1786 brand new from Windward Ford in Hawaii and had it shipped to Scottsdale Az. A beautiful GT. The pic is delivery day in Scottsdale Az.

Great memories. Thanks for posting!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181121-092323_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20181121-092323_Samsung Internet.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 178
  • 20181121_092255.jpg
    20181121_092255.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 178

jr66

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2017
scottsdale
Great photos of an earlier time. Thanks for sharing

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Love the photos! I looked for my black stripe less in there but did not see it. Love those Heritages!

blown-v8

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2018
Columbus, Ohio
We purchased #1786 brand new from Windward Ford in Hawaii and had it shipped to Scottsdale Az. A beautiful GT. The pic is delivery day in Scottsdale Az.

Great memories. Thanks for posting!

Wow! Now that IS cool! I always wondered if I could find the owner of the Heritage that had the Saleen repair ticket! I will have to see if I have any other photos taken of it. Do you still own it? Leave it to this site to help find the owner!

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I have great memories of that trip! Maybe a second one to MM when last few NFGTs are being made!?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Cool stuff! I've attended all the rallies except the first one. At least I can experience it through cool threads like this one.

Ed

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
I have great memories of that trip! Maybe a second one to MM when last few NFGTs are being made!?

Rally 1 was awesome. The Wixom and Saleen tours were great.

MM would be a very cool place for us all to tour.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
On the same topic this is really good! Our beloved Rich Robach in action!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqfMy4LN2Ss

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
On the same topic this is really good! Our beloved Rich Robach in action!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqfMy4LN2Ss

Never saw this before,Thanks and way to go Rich!

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
How did I miss this? I thought I had seen all the videos on the GT. This was great. Thanks for posting.

Gary

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Festus, Missouri
Rally #1 was special for sure. An xtra plus for me was that my GT was the only Yellow one there. At every venue Ford want one of each color out front.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Wow, watching that makes me even more appreciative for being an owner of such a special car. Automotive technology amazes me. I would assume 2018 technology is unfathomable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I have lived my dream owning a 2006 Ford GT! Never in my wildest dreams did I think Ford would ever build them again!
Now Lightning has struck twice!
Its the people and friends I have made that make it so amazing!
The first person I met was Rich Robach!He flew out to my house to fix my half shafts!We had an Epic weekend together! A great guy whom I an honored to call my friend!