1st Oil change

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
Hey guys, I'm at 950 miles and ready for the first oil change! What has everyone been doing regarding oil changes, have you guys been doing them on your own or taking it to the dealer? If taking it to the dealer how much could I expect to pay? I'm figuring $150-200 including parts/oil! Does this sound about right or am I off a little? Back to part A) Is it a real pain in the ass to do it yourself. I have full access to a ramp or leg lift. I've read the post on how to do it just have never done an oil change of this kind. I guess what I'm saying is it worth it to let Ford do it? Thanks for the input :thumbsup

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I'm at the 900 mile marker too and decided to change my oil last night. Frankly, I don't know what the big deal is. However, I should say that I have the advantage to have a 4-post lift at home but, that said, the oil change is a very, very, easy thing to do. Start to finish took me 70 minutes. This is the first time and I took my time. I think it coud be done in 40-45 minutes, easy.

I suppose much of the fuss is getting the car into the air and it is admittedly more difficult with a 2-post lift or no lift at all. But once up, removing the panels is very quick and simple. There are 3 drain bolts - and the distance between them more or less mandates individual draining which is the most time consuming component of the change. Re-install the plugs (18 lb-ft) each, fill up with oil, PRIME (20 seconds), start, and check for leaks. Re-install the bottom panels. ANYONE can do it.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Hey Kendall.
I just passed 700 miles in mine. I'm going to need an oil change soon. You gonna hook me up? :biggrin

BTW, I think I saw you in Sand Canyon on Saturday. Was that you?
I was in the Silver/Gray M5 on the bridge.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
I had mine changed two weeks ago at the Ford Dealership in West LA. My first oil change was free. Did it at 600 miles. I think if you have Ford do it, plan on about $250.00. I had the front lower spoiler skirt replaced as I finally figured out a way to get my car up my graded driveway without scraping it. Which is not a sensation I would recommend too often.

Kendall has a lift and has offered use of it, but since I am 2 miles from my dealer, I took their free offer. Kendall also added some Ford Racing Performance exhausts which sounded incredible alst Sunday at the Calabasas car show. Apparently bolt on design for the exhausts. That I am interested in.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Mark, Eric, & other SoCal dudes & dudettes,

My garage is available for you anytime for oil changes or other odds and ends. I have the lift, tools, AC, and, most importantly, beer. After 20 years of thinking about it, I finally completed my modest "shop" last year and I've tried to make it a comfortable place to hang out and tinker with the cars.

Drop me a line when you're ready....

gwbartlett

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Indiana
My first service was just completed. 5,000 miles as recommended (not put on track during this time). McCoy Ford in Muncie did not charge for the first service. The service manual does say to change the transaxle oil at the first service-not cheap! I also had them change the brake and clutch fliud as it had been one year since delivery and I intend to keep this fantastic car.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The service manual does say to change the transaxle oil at the first service-not cheap!

The service manual says that the transaxle fluid should be changed at 15,000 miles or at 1-year. I suspect for most owners (like yourself), the 1-year mark will come up before the 15K mileage mark.

Big Carrot

GT Owner
May 13, 2006
Dallas
Mine just rolled over 1k miles. What's the consensus? Change now, or wait for 3-5k?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
If it's free, change it. Seems like a lot of the dealers are offering the first change free.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Big Carrot said:
Mine just rolled over 1k miles. What's the consensus? Change now, or wait for 3-5k?

I always change early on a new motor. Just did mine (free - thanks dealer :biggrin ) at 1500 miles.

Big Carrot

GT Owner
May 13, 2006
Dallas
I didn't buy mine new. Is the first oil change something that just comes with the car???

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
depends how bad the dealer wanted to sell the car and how much over MSRP was paid. mine cost $$$

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Big Carrot said:
I didn't buy mine new. Is the first oil change something that just comes with the car???

No - that is a dealer item, not from Ford. Most dealers do a free oil change or two (or life time) on new cars when they sell them to the original buyer - they just forgot to exclude the GT :thumbsup

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
For those of us who plan on doing our own oil changes, what is the best oil (Brand and grade) for a car driven mostly on the street with an occasional track day? I've been real happy with Mobil 1 in my other cars.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
sharp33 said:
For those of us who plan on doing our own oil changes, what is the best oil (Brand and grade) for a car driven mostly on the street with an occasional track day? I've been real happy with Mobil 1 in my other cars.

Good Question! I was thinking of using FORD oil so as not to create any warranty issues.

gwbartlett

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Indiana
I am sticking with Ford synthetic.

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
Fully Synthetic oils with the same American Petroleum Institute rating (e.g., SF, SG etc) are virtually fungible. I believe the highest current rating is SJ. I would go with any 5w50 synthetic oil that is readily available.

I do not believe there will be any warranty issues as long the oil is a 5w50 synthetic.

Eric

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
In the UK most owners will use Mobil 1 - it's what I've put in Lamborghinis and Astons and is about the best available. The GT grade is slightly harder to get hold of though.

Big Carrot

GT Owner
May 13, 2006
Dallas
I got mine changed last week. The dealer that I took my car to had a SVO certified tech, but he had never done an oil change on a GT. They quoted me $86 on the phone, and even though it took them 3 hours to do it, they honored the price! Hell of a deal! I would have paid that for the oil and filter if I would have done it myself!

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Sounds like a deal! :biggrin