1965 Works Prototype Ford GT40 Roadster

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I just received clarification that chassis #109 is the car for sale. The car is here in the U.S. (L.A. area) Here is the corrected information:

Fords 1965 GT 40 Roadster, Prototype chassis #109

12GT prototypes were made for Ford to develop the GT40 #101 through #112. Chassis #109 was delivered from Abbey Panels of Coventry in October 1964to Ford Advanced Vehicles in Slough near Heathrow Airport.

The body was finished by Eric Broadly and the group at F.A.V. and arrived in March1965 at the Shelby American plant on West Imperial Highway in Los Angeles. Where testing and modifying the GT40was completed.

Shipped to France the GT40 was raced at LeMans in June 1965, by Ford of France withdrivers Trintignant/Ligier. The engine was a 289 and a 5-speed ZF transmission and Halibrand wheels. The car number was (9) and changed to (15)before the race in LeMans. At the conclusion of the race #109 was sent back to Shelby American in LosAngeles. When Ford decided todevelop only the coupe, Dean Jeffries acquired #109 from Shelby and Ford. In an article in Autoweek describing how Jefferies and A J Foyt flew to Detroit oneday to meet with Ford’s Jacques Passino. Jeffries saw the GT40 sitting in a warehouse and asked to buy it. Passino said no problem, you can have it. we’re done with the Roadster’s.

Recentlythe Roadster has been gone over, the original interior back in and a new bodyput on. The original body from the 1965 Lemans race comes with the car, andoriginal 289 motor. Lot’s of spare parts.

This GT40 was built with a dry-sump system. Various engines and transmissions were testedalong with an automatic in this vehicle. The #109 is the only GT40 Roadster (of five built) with a racing historyleft Of Ford’s 12 Prototypes onlysix are left.

By the way, chassis 111 is also for sale in the U.K., but was restored from a rusty hulk of a car sitting in mud, they want $4.75 MILLION for that car. Chassis 109 in L.A. is about a $6 MILLION car.

gt404.jpggt402.jpgGT401.jpg

Last edited:

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
The #15 car Nardo posted is NOT the car. The wrecked car is a coupe.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Chassis 104 was recently sold by a local owner, who had intended to restore it, but due to MS, was rendered incapable to do so. The car was in parts, but was all there, including original Colotti gear box. Car is a roadster as well. My understanding is it went back to the UK for a complete resto, and even in this (rough but complete) condition, fetched north of $3 million.

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Chassis 104 was recently sold by a local owner, who had intended to restore it, but due to MS, was rendered incapable to do so. The car was in parts, but was all there, including original Colotti gear box. Car is a roadster as well. My understanding is it went back to the UK for a complete resto, and even in this (rough but complete) condition, fetched north of $3 million.

Chassis 109 is in the U.K. and they want 3 million pounds sterling. This car has some interesting history with Phil Hill, etc. it also has the original body in brand new condition being kept tight in the original mold.

cobrajeff

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 5, 2006
Daytona Beach
Ford GT Roadsters

GT109 at Laguna Seca in August, 2003:

10170jeffreis_fr.jpg

GT108 at Pebble Beach in August, 2003:

10170gt108.jpg

Being a convertible lover, I've always liked GT roadsters. These cars are beautiful, but way too valuable to drive and enjoy. For road use, I'd take GTX1 #005 (Mk2 GT's old car) with the Candy Chrome Red paint and ghosted stripes. One of the most beautiful cars I've ever seen.

Jeff