13/14 gt500?

on d bit

Jul 20, 2008
maricopa az
Rumors are flying....
UPDATE (June 30, 2011): FIN now knows the liter of the new 2013 Shelby GT500. Our source within Ford has now made mention that the SVT engine was developed from the Mustang GT's 5.0L V8! With 650 horsepower, the average for a liter will be an astonishing 130 each!

To “one up” General Motors’ releasing of the 556 horsepower Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, Ford’s SVT will give the 2013 Shelby GT500 a heart transplant. Unlike the current supercharged 5.4-liter, the new engine will be turbocharged. Though FIN cannot bring you the engine's new displacement, a 5.0 and 5.8 have been rumored. We can tell you that the engine will deliver a Camaro-killing 650 horsepower according to our sources. This upgrade will make the 2013 GT500 the most powerful, factory made Mustang ever.

Pulled that quote off of another board. I have also heard there is no room for twins, and the vid showing the new mustangs at the ring sound like a blower scream!

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 19, 2007
Frankfort Ill
A good Dr. can almost always make a nice set of twins fit.

Steve

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Forget the 60's, now we live in the "Glory years"!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
A good Dr. can almost always make a nice set of twins fit.

Steve

'Quite true!

E.g.: There's an outfit 20 minutes away from my front door that mounts turbos AFT of the rear axle on 'Vettes or any other car on the planet. 'Don't know how efficient that may be relative to the standard method when one considers the distances involved 'to & from', but engine compartment heat sure won't be an issue...

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
As much as I like the supercharged 5.4, I would love to see a turbo 5.0 in the GT500. However, others in the know have said the turbo is a no go. Ah, the suspense. A turbo 5.0 and a 400lb weight reduction to go along with the IRS planned for the new generation Mustang would be awesome.

Granted, the 1960s cars had more compelling style than the curent cars, but that's about it. The performance of today's cars is simply off the charts. Thankfully, Ford is supporting the enthusiast community better than any other manufacturer.

Last edited:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Forget the 60's, now we live in the "Glory years"!

Gentlemen,

No doubt about that. I turned 16 and started driving in 1972, the first year of smogged up, choked down, low HP American muscle cars. My 1972 GTO was a pig while the 1971 GTO was a screamer. The hottest of the late 60's cars are slugs compared to the fastest cars today.

As those of us who lusted after those 60's cars die off, and the nostalgia for them dies with us, their appreciation will slow or stop as today's kids pay big money for the cars they desire but can't afford now when they get into their peak earning years. Throughout the 70's, 80's and 90's I thought the high compression, big block cars of the 1960's would stand as a high water mark forever. Performance not available in new cars was a big part of their appeal and now that is gone and they handle like a school bus compared to new cars.

What many of them will always have is amazing styling that makes them a window into an era long gone.

Chip

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
As much as I like the supercharged 5.4, I would love to see a turbo 5.0 in the GT500. However, others in the know have said the turbo is a no go. Ah, the suspense. A turbo 5.0 and a 400lb weight reduction to go along with the IRS planned for the new generation Mustangbe awesome.

Granted, the 1960s cars had more compelling style than the curent cars, but that's about it. The performance of today's cars is simply off the charts. Thankfully, Ford is supporting the enthusiast community better than any other manufacturer.

The 400lb weight reduction would never happen, the car would be as light as a regular 5.0 Na car and i highly I doubt turbo's will ever end up on a mustang. We will c though.

on d bit

Jul 20, 2008
maricopa az
The 400lb weight reduction would never happen, the car would be as light as a regular 5.0 Na car and i highly I doubt turbo's will ever end up on a mustang. We will c though.

The weights I have seen has the mustang gt at 3600lbs, and the gt500 hitting 3750lbs. While I do agree 400lbs will not happen without a major downsize in vehicle size, I still believe there is some work that can be done to reduce weight. Specially on the mustang gt's.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Things will get interesting when the manufacturers get serious about weight reduction. The ever-increasing fuel economy standards will require it. But, I think, more than anything else, a concentration on weight reduction will really drive up the cost of a car because of the materials involved to achieve it.