1.58 60ft = Broken half shaft

gtkurt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 25, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Well I think I have figured how to get the GT to launch. On my third attempt I blew up my drivers side half shaft what a mess. I talked to Jason Heffner the heavy duty half shafts are not built yet so this may be the first of many.

After trying many different combinations this is what worked the best for me.
Micky Thompson ET streets 26.5X10X17 I tryed 29.5 M&H,28 M&H,28.75 Nitto Drags. I think the gear ratio improvement of the 26.5 MT is the best for this application.
17 inch CCW wheels w/skinny's. These do not just fit I had my sway bar end links shortened 1/4 inch, also a little cutting on the heat shield.
Most important I learned you must rev the car up spiking the boost and launch from there other wise you are in bypass mode and you will bog with out the help of the supercharger.

I never made a full pass. I knew I would only get one before they kicked me out. My third attempt was to be it but that did not work out.
Looking back I wish I just drove thru my first pass with the 1.58 60ft.

Meth injection being installed while the half shaft is being fixed.
You can never have to much power. Kurt

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Where are you planning to install the meth injector nozzles? Ideally after the intercooler, but that would be tough. Also methanol is reported to corrode aluminum.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Impressive, sounds like your really into it. Where did the 1/2 shafts break? Any pictures, would be interesting. If the water/meth injection is used for iat lowering, then not necessary, nor beneficial to mount in aftercooler, it's a closed system at that point.

What about disabling the supercharger bypass when you go to the track, so you won't have to work around it. It's only there for fuel economy when the engine is producing vacuum.

Keep up the crazy work and give us info whenever possible.:thumbsup

gtkurt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 25, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Where are you planning to install the meth injector nozzles? Ideally after the intercooler, but that would be tough. Also methanol is reported to corrode aluminum.

The shop that does all of my work ADS in Chandler Arizona tells me there is a additive we can add to lubricate and help with the corrosion. I believe the jet will go in front of the throttle body. The main reason for the meth is to help with the massive power loss on hot days.

gtkurt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 25, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Impressive, sounds like your really into it. Where did the 1/2 shafts break? Any pictures, would be interesting. If the water/meth injection is used for iat lowering, then not necessary, nor beneficial to mount in aftercooler, it's a closed system at that point.

The 1/2 shafts broke rite where it bolts in to the transaxle. I will try to post some pictures the bolts are still there for all who worry about the half shaft bolts, but the metal exploded.Just like you said I am trying to lower the iat. I think it is going to make a big difference.

What about disabling the supercharger bypass when you go to the track, so you won't have to work around it. It's only there for fuel economy when the engine is producing vacuum.

I thought of that as well. I was told that the air temp gets so hot you get detonation almost immediately. I will check it out to make sure.

How are you and John coming on the turbo set up. I think I will be going that way myself in the future. Kurt

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Soon, very soon. Good luck. Keep us posted.