North Carolina
That's a heck of a lot of effort just to get rid of the Mac :lol

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
That looks awesome. Car looks great minus the side stripe and with the (powdercoated?) wheels as well. It really sets off the silver big time.

However, I definitely wouldn't do it for the average street only driver. Minus a helmet, a roll cage in a seemingly innocuous accident can be a death sentence. Last year two brothers in our local car scene were killed in an accident in their car equipped with a cage. RIP.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
'Goin' with Dave on this.

Besides, the GT is tuff-E-nuff to get in & outta for us, ah-hummm, "older folk" w/o the 'cage!

And anyway, I seem to remember a Forum member who's GT ended up on it's side at the bottom of a "ditch"(?) here a while back (at a screwed up road construction site) and both HE AND HIS PASSENGER walked away just fine.

So, FOR THE STREET the GT ought to be about as safe as any car CAN be w/o a cage. The car is pretty tough.

...And then there's the "resale" thingie...

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
That looks very well engineered. Kudos!

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
if you are gonna do any real racing with this car. you got to have the cage. you won't pass tech without it.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Who in the world would screw up an amazing car like the GT with a stupid change like this. Resale is shot, can't get in the car, more weight, and looks like sheet.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Oh, and like DBK said a car with a cage is a lot more dangerous than one without, but wait, what does NHRA or SCCA say about that?

Ripper 02

Permanent Vacation
Aug 16, 2006
Texas
I agree with Dave totally with this one!!!!!!

NHRA or SCCA ??????? What does John plan on doing with the car ????

Drag race maybe??? Then ok .... SCCA.... Do not need it in the least...

IMHO , it totally ruins the street functionality of what and why this car
was designed in the first place.....

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Oh, and like DBK said a car with a cage is a lot more dangerous than one without, but wait, what does NHRA or SCCA say about that?

Nowhere did I say it's more dangerous with than without. There's no question it's safer if you're going to race the car when properly equipped. There's also no question it's more dangerous when not properly equipped.

The SCCA forums have discussed this many times before, and when discussing street cars with cages the following are direct quotes:

"The biggest concern for me is personal safety while on the street. A roll cage is far more dangerous when not used in conjunction with a helmet. Your un-helmeted head will crack like a raw egg if it comes into contact with a roll cage in an accident."

"Also, considering that a full cage makes a street-driven car significantly more dangerous on the street"

"In my opinion, from what I have seen, a full cage makes a street car much more dangerous during what it is normally used for ... street driving."

"First of all, a street driven car is VERY dangerous with a cage and maybe a roll bar. Without a helmet and shoulder harnesses, I wonder how you would prevent head to bar contact in a street accident."

"Why are you so quick to ignore their safety while driving their car on the street? Are you willing to accept the responsibilty if they die in an accident on the street because their unhelmeted head came into contact with a roll cage that you mandated they put in their street car? What will that do to SCCA's insurance, when they get sued for knowingly putting their members at risk who drive their cars on both the street and track? "

This was to address the popularity of cages in Sport Compact Car:

"Myth #10: Roll cages make your street car safer.

The Truth:This statement is only true if you are in a collision while wearing a helment. In reality, welding or bolting in a multi-point cage is one of the most dangerous things you can do to your street car. Even if scrpulously designed and wickedly fabricated, cages are meant for race cars and drivers wearing helments. Sure, a cage can dramatically improve chassis ridgity, but this huge increase also means that energy that was supposed to be absorbed by crumble zones can now be directly transmitted to your body. In a high-impact collision, that sweet 4130 chromoly tubing can crack open your unprotected head like a watermelon.

The Fix:
Padding a rollcage can lessen the potential for injury, but unless you are willing to wear a helment and 5-point harness to the grocery store, you're better off without one in your street car. -EL"

People should definitely be armed with that information before they ever make such a decision.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Ruins, TOTALLY RUINS the street funtionality of what this car was designed for. A bit strong reaction, eh? Ruin?????????? WTF?

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Wow, I didn't realize, I'll just go ahead and take it out. You guys are so smart and supportive, you remind me of my parents.

So, I guess I won't be able to go to any mile events and go as fast as the car is capable, or the 1/4 mile track, or any sanctioned high speed events. Thanks for ah, let see, I think its called,

Raining on my Parade.

I was reluctant to post because of bullshit like this, so I guess from now on I'll be less forthcoming

Don't worry Ripper 02, you won't have to go up against me, because your GT doesn't have the hp. You could come at me with your Vipers, but that's right you don't have a cage, so I wouldn't want to be unsafe and race with somebody who wasn't properly prepared.

The only one with big balls, and not a big mouth is Joe, I don't see him whining about any of this crap. He's just out running his car, having a grand ole time and not listening to Nye Sayers.

Keep it going Joe, your the man.

MODERATORS NOTE
============
It is not to late to clean up the language used, the edit button is your friend. Your apology below is noted, but frankly posts like this destroy forums.
BONY
YOUR MOM ON THE FORUM

Last edited by a moderator:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Well, all I'll say is that it should go without saying posts like that are completely unnecessary.

I never said you should take your cage out. I said "That looks awesome." Then I pointed out that your idea that "everyone should do it" was flawed. It was uncalled for to take the dig at Ripper, but I'm not even going to get into it about that.

If you're going to say "I think everyone should do it" regarding something that makes a street car not only less safe, but actually deadly, be prepared for the opposing view to be voiced. And it has nothing to do with acting like parents. It's called common sense. If people aren't going to track their cars, it's unwise to put in a cage if they wish to keep their skull in one piece in the event of an accident. If somehow posting that is whining or bullshit, so be it (Unless instead of throwing a tangential tantrum you want to provide a sound rationale as to why that idea is wrong).

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
Cool cage . . . tough to get in & out of.

Especially for larger folk.

Very impressive roll cage install. Years back I had a good friend outside Orlando put sub-frame connectors and a full cage in my ’70 Mustang. He was well aware of heavy-duty foam surrounding the cage at critical points and that there was nothing more dangerous than “anything less than a full roll cage”, properly installed. Many folks go on the cheap, just to pass technical inspection, and, as a result, these unsafe roll bars end up crushing them. But that doesn’t mean roll bars are unsafe.
As for the comment on impact cushioning, another myth. This myth can be dispelled by the removal of the old dirt embankments (great for cushioning impact) and guardrails replaced by concrete walls at about every sanctioned racing event I am aware of. True, they have added some safer barriers to work in conjunction with the concrete at critical points. There are many examples that can be found in the archives of life where a safe roll bar may have contributed to disaster, yet, there are many more non-disasters that have been prevented by having them.
There are countless stories when wearing a seatbelt has contributed to and resulted in death, but I recommend them highly also. Heck, I even had a seatbelt latch failure one morning about 2 AM in the middle of nowhere. It was a good thing I had a knife handy to cut the belt off. But what can be said for a Dodge.
Nice pic’s.:thumbsup

Pete S.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Wow, what a thread!

John - your goals for the GT require the cage. Bottom line is that if the GT is modded with the Whiple or TT's and want to track it on either the mile or 1/4 mile - you need a cage to push the car too it's fullest potential.

I wish I could achieve similar goals wo/ the cage but at Maxton I can't go over 140MPH or 190MPH at Texas Mile. For the quarter - you also need the cage. John - keep going, I'm going to be living vicariously through you and Joe.

Is the cage for everbody - no. It depends what your goals are for the GT..... To each his own. Case in point - Enzo's on the bling/ home entertainment path. Shadowman has changed the exhaust twice wo even driving the car. Some people swear by 3M bra's while other swear by Speedlingerie.

I'm just glad that options are available for the Ford GT and to each his own. The car has proven itself to meet many different goals - no matter how extreme they are.....

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
Wow, what a thread!

John - your goals for the GT require the cage. Bottom line is that if the GT is modded with the Whiple or TT's and want to track it on either the mile or 1/4 mile - you need a cage to push the car too it's fullest potential.

I wish I could achieve similar goals wo/ the cage but at Maxton I can't go over 140MPH or 190MPH at Texas Mile. For the quarter - you also need the cage. John - keep going, I'm going to be living vicariously through you and Joe.

Is the cage for everbody - no. It depends what your goals are for the GT..... To each his own. Case in point - Enzo's on the bling/ home entertainment path. Shadowman has changed the exhaust twice wo even driving the car. Some people swear by 3M bra's while other swear by Speedlingerie.

I'm just glad that options are available for the Ford GT and to each his own. The car has proven itself to meet many different goals - no matter how extreme they are.....

Well said Mike :thumbsup

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Why I like it.

Thanks for Raining on my Parade.
I was reluctant to post because of bullshit like this, so I guess from now on I'll be less forthcoming

Cuda,

A big part of the reason we all bought these cars is their connection to the racing history of the original GT's. This is enhanced by the history being made today with this years Ford GT LeMans entry, other road racing GT's world wide, Joe's amazing GT, and your efforts. Not too long ago on this Forum TurboKiller started a thread about 1/4 mile times and the biggest problem was getting banned because it didn't have the cage required for a car that fast. Now that I am finally successful enough to buy a car like this I am too old, too fat, and my balls aren't big enough to race or get in and out of my car with that cage. So I live vicariously through guys like you. After you become the first guy to put a GT in the 9's at the strip you will receive congratulations from every member of this Forum. Good luck, make history, and keep posting. :cheers

Chip

Ripper 02

Permanent Vacation
Aug 16, 2006
Texas
Don't worry Ripper 02, you won't have to go up against me, because your GT doesn't have the hp. You could come at me with your Vipers, but that's right you don't have a cage, so I wouldn't want to be unsafe and race with somebody who wasn't properly prepared.

The only one with big balls, and not a big mouth is Joe, I don't see him whining about any of this crap. He's just out running his car, having a grand ole time and not listening to Nye Sayers.

Keep it going Joe, your the man.

Im Sorry , did someone P%^SS in you cereal this morning????????

Was I talking about YOUR car????????

I have to agree with DBK's post on street car's with cage's....

I dont have the HP to run against you???????

What car or cars are you referring to ??? Did you TT yor GT ???

Does Joe even drive his own GT at events ??????

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Nice cage

Are you going to keep the interior stripped to save weight?

gtkurt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 25, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
First off let me say you are my new idol. The cage looks great I hope I have enough courage to follow in your foot steps when the time comes. Is there a reason the door bars do not remove? My GT is going under the knife Monday 03/26/07 I am sure I will be in cage country soon. At our local track we can run 10's if we rent the track but that adds up in a hurry. My CCW wheels slick & skinny pkg. Is getting drooped of by UPS right now! I cant wait to get out to the track. Thanks for posting the pictures. Kurt:thumbsup

P.S.
I talked to John at Accufab just today what a great and knowledgeable guy he spent a good half hour just answering questions for my about my GT.