1/4 Mile GT Record! Worlds fastest?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
'Gotts tuh agree with ol' Chip on this'un. There's just no need to SHOW the car can do this or that just for the benefit of proving something to someone who won't be financing the bill for any damage that results. Besides, dumping the clutch in a high RPM 'drag race start' is NOT driving it "like it's supposed to be." The GT is a road racer ... NOT a drag car (even though it'll 'hold it's own in THAT department too - despite it's tall gearing!!!!!:lol )

agreed.. 100% right on.

dgussin1

Jul 6, 2006
Chicago, Il
'Gotts tuh agree with ol' Chip on this'un. There's just no need to SHOW the car can do this or that just for the benefit of proving something to someone who won't be financing the bill for any damage that results. Besides, dumping the clutch in a high RPM 'drag race start' is NOT driving it "like it's supposed to be." The GT is a road racer ... NOT a drag car (even though it'll 'hold it's own in THAT department too - despite it's tall gearing!!!!!:lol )
I don't go drag racing to prove anything to anyone...I go and do it because it's fun and I can legally drive 130mph.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I don't go drag racing to prove anything to anyone...I go and do it because it's fun and I can legally drive 130mph.

My comment wasn't a criticism of drag racing or the motivations of those who do. "Why own it if you don't drive it like it's supposed to be", would seem to imply a GT was designed for drag racing and all owners should drive their's as though it was. It wasn't. So why "thrash" the car just to prove to whomever that it WILL do what someone says it can? That was my point. Besides, on tracks designed for such things, you could do OVER 205 - which the GT WAS designed to do! So, why 'settle' for 130? Drive it like it was intended instead (...like I read someone suggest somewhere)!:biggrin

Besides, you can build/buy any number of drag' cars that'll turn the numbers you wanna turn for a heck of a lot less than a GT costs. 'Lots cheaper to FIX those too! :lol

Dat wuz me general thought. ( 'Gotta go catch a plane now!)

Last edited:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Because they are there.

why own it if you're not going to drive it like it's supposed to be? :ack

I bought it so I could hang out with cool guys like you at the Rally's and Indy!!:cheers I have taken my GT to the track (with Camilo on board!) and pushed it till I ended up off the track (just a few feet) but it was a road course and I did not have to fry my clutch. The brakes glowed red hot though.:eek The GT was designed for Le Mans, not the drag strip. I like drag racing but I would rather do that in a Mustang that I could break and rebuild with easy parts availability. My Shelby trifecta, GT40, Shelby Mustang, and Cobra are objects of beauty that give me great pleasure even when I'm not driving them. To each his own 'eh.

Chip

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
i currently use my viper and will use my GT for road racing & 1 mile top speed shootouts only. the manual trans and the independent rear end where designed for this. the rear engine in the GT is the icing on the cake. :biggrin when i wanna go drag racing i bust out my camaro or my lightning and hit the strip. give me an automatic transmission & soild axle live rear end for the 1/4. :usa my vette is just-a-cruzer :lol

Last edited:

Outlaw

GT Owner
Apr 25, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
I went 10.90 @ 137 mph on stock tires with a bogging launch ( only got 1 pass ) ... All I have is pulley / tune from Tony @ HP and heffner catback exhaust.

I plan on doing a good amount of drag racing with it ... I feel I could have pulled another couple tenths out of it if I had a couple more runs...

Im replacing the tires this week, so Ill have to get some new numbers. I am confident I can get some mid to low 10's with my current mods. 625rwhp

hope this helps

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
What tires are you going to use?

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
wow 137mph is impressive

do you remember what the 1/8 mile mph was?

Outlaw

GT Owner
Apr 25, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
im putting the hoosier R6's on it ... i dont remember the 1/8th , ill get the timeslip tomm. and look.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
You had to be doing at least 105-110 at that point. 137 is seriously booking (and just very minimal mods:willy). What was the weather like?

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
137 should be in the 9.90s - 10.0s range in the quarter mile. My race car was running 10.10 - 10. teens @ 137, and I know my 60' times were off slightly. (1.39) :thumbsup

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
I went 10.90 @ 137 mph on stock tires with a bogging launch ( only got 1 pass ) ... All I have is pulley / tune from Tony @ HP and heffner catback exhaust.

I plan on doing a good amount of drag racing with it ... I feel I could have pulled another couple tenths out of it if I had a couple more runs...

Im replacing the tires this week, so Ill have to get some new numbers. I am confident I can get some mid to low 10's with my current mods. 625rwhp

hope this helps

thats impressive! that mph is HUGE. what was your 60 foot time?

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
im putting the hoosier R6's on it ... i dont remember the 1/8th , ill get the timeslip tomm. and look.

Those #s are great. Do I assume correctly those runs were with the stock tires? Let us know how you do with the hoosiers. How do you usually launch? Rpm's and such.

Manny