05 GT on MSO at Mecum Auction

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
As a neutral observer, I would agree that taking a GT to an auction makes no sense. I have very rarely seen an auction sale yield a private sale result.

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Always a lot of new buyers at Mecum Auctions I've been to. Totally different than BJ Auctions where Very Rich Crazies challenge each other with big bucks and alcohol. I think Mecum is closer to a real marker situation than BJ. Dana Mecum will negociate fee to the seller (1-2%) if needed to sell the car. Even with reserve sales they sell usually 78-87% of total cars. Dana works off the averages and does very well. Thats my 2 cents. I like seeing white GT's bringing top money and this is top money in my book. Tomy

I've had the chance to go to both auctions back to back for a few years now. The difference in atmosphere is remarkable. The Mecum event has a very middle America feel; it seems like its more about cars and selling them than it is anything else. There is a sort of "warmth" there, as personified by Dana himself. BJ on the other hand, is very much like a circus; it feels like Las Vegas on crack. Virtually every car is sold without reserve, and there all always a few slippery looking characters in the mix. I really like Craig Jackson and think that he is a standup guy. However, the weather system that swirls around the show is a little spooky if you ask me. I would NEVER sell a car at BJ, but I might consider selling one at a Mecum event. I'm a control kind of guy and BJ gives you anything but control. Its a great show, however, and I look forward to it every year.

gtforme

GT Owner
Apr 12, 2009
I honestly believe it is the most beautiful car made in 45+ years. Other than my Cobra, nothing is as pleasing to my eyes.

I second that , I have my cobra and GT side by side and I often find it difficult to decide which one to drool over

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
You can find MP4-12Cs on dealer lots brand new asking $30-60k under sticker. Now that they have reached the secondary market and are being advertised on eBay you see them listed anywhere between $200k-$250k. Ferrari San Francisco has a $267k silver car that looks really nice asking $207k with 700 miles. Needless to say, McLaren haven't done a great job with their sales and marketing approach. That car is so good it shouldn't be discounted.

DBK, I'm pretty sure that there will be a Mclaren somewhere in my future. Your information is most helpful and thought provoking. If ever there was a occasion to let someone else take the hit for the first few months of ownership, its this one.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
eBay has the option of an auction, but NONE of my listings on eBay are in Auction format. They are advertised prices.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Btw the 427 cobra sold after the auction was over for $7xx k, and became the top seller. So 1-2-3 were all fords, 2 was a boss 429 at 417k and 3 was the SCCA trans am mustng for 400k. Lastly looked through the Saturday lots, there were several vettes that were no sales even when bid into the 400's.

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Loved that black survivor Boss 429!!!

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
ebay---A great place for exposure and show your products (Cars) and Company for future Sales.

Lightning

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 9, 2006
Hutchinson, Kansas
John McComb was a friend and neighbor of mine here in Hutchinson in 1966 when he purchased that SCCA Mustang that sold for $400,000. The car was going to be Jerry Titus's ride, but Jerry was killed testing the Mark IV GT40 and John bought the car. I was just 14 but I still vividly remember that rig sitting down the street. In the summer of 1969 I even worked for Terry Doty in John's shop. Those were the days. Terry was John's mechanic and taught me a lot about figuring out problems. John even offered to sell me his '67 TA Mustang for $5,000 race ready when he started driving for Datsun, but I was 17 and still in high school. Looking back now maybe I should have bought it. Oh well, lots of stories about those times that might be better over a drink at a rally. Vince

campgreenlake

GT Owner
Sep 10, 2007
Florida
Sale details below:

No. 9: Lot S182
2005 Ford GT
5.4/550 HP, 6-Speed
Sold for $220,000 Details »

JCO1966

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 22, 2006
Greenville SC
You forgot the commission! Total will be around 240,000

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
Sorry for the thread highjack but since were talking auction houses and getting best value for the seller. What would you guys recommend I do. I have a 2010 Shelby GT 500 Super Snake with 2k miles on it and mostly every option that was offered. I live in Miami so I was considering BJ Palm Beach in April. However, if I use Mecum, is there a venue that you guys suggest would help me get the most for the car?

SBR

GT Owner
Aug 23, 2009
From a convienence point of view, I would say that the BJ Palm Beach would be your best bet if you are a gambler and want to risk selling your car for no reserve. Mecum has an auction in Houston in April and Indy in May and will offer you a reserve and their fees are lower than BJ. I personally will not sell a car no reserve, but just that's just me. Good luck.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
From a convienence point of view, I would say that the BJ Palm Beach would be your best bet if you are a gambler and want to risk selling your car for no reserve. Mecum has an auction in Houston in April and Indy in May and will offer you a reserve and their fees are lower than BJ. I personally will not sell a car no reserve, but just that's just me. Good luck.

BJ does reserve, but I sort of doubt they would take a GT500 SS on reserve. You could ask.

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
thanks fellas

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Sorry for the thread highjack but since were talking auction houses and getting best value for the seller. What would you guys recommend I do. I have a 2010 Shelby GT 500 Super Snake with 2k miles on it and mostly every option that was offered. I live in Miami so I was considering BJ Palm Beach in April. However, if I use Mecum, is there a venue that you guys suggest would help me get the most for the car?

maxemus, just to continue this discussion, why have you decided to sell via auction instead of a private transaction? Granted, there are many good reasons to go with an auction, including speed, convenience, anonymity, etc. What are you hoping to accomplish?

I ask simply because I am often curious when I go to the auctions, especially BJ, what the motivations are for selling in this environment.

Bob Hibbs

GT Owner
Oct 17, 2007
Wow! $220,000 for a stock car! It would seem that the market for these beasts is going up.
This thread has been helpful.
Any thoughts on the impact on value for a Heffner 750 upgrade?
I am thinking of selling my blue 05 with 5100 miles and perfect.
I didn't see any GT's at BJ in Phoenix.
Are most of the cars going privately or ebay??

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
All boats rise with the tide.

SBR

GT Owner
Aug 23, 2009
BJ does reserve, but I sort of doubt they would take a GT500 SS on reserve. You could ask.
BJ will place a reserve on their "Salon" cars. I believe the minimum value needs to be in the 500k range.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
All boats rise with the tide.
Not all...just a few, like these GT's and Cobra's!