testing my speedhut gauges

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hQskey-pzFk?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hmm thats supposed to embed.

clicky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQskey-pzFk

yeah. seems like its tracking speed speed pretty well.. now if the lighting just worked!!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
You must live near Fast Freddy. There aren't any roads in my area that I would ever try that on!

Your car must not be stock it got up there pretty quickly. :thumbsup

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Looks like US 93 in Arizona, somewhere between Wickenburg and I-40

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Looks like US 93 in Arizona, somewhere between Wickenburg and I-40

Yep, was there last week!!! I went to the Bondurant school and then to Vegas Tuesday PM, but there were cops everywhere. I kept it at about 6-8 MPH over and there were still people passing me. Didn't see anyone pulled over though.

I did not quite that on a stretch on I25 north of Cheyenne. I get nervous about doing that kind of stuff on roads I haven't been on before to scope it out. I found a comfortable spot on I70 west of Green River. Made 145 in the Shelby GT but haven't had the GT out there yet. I'm not afraid of going fast on a good road surface but cautious about it on places I've not been before.

Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Yep, was there last week!!! I went to the Bondurant school and then to Vegas Tuesday PM, but there were cops everywhere. I kept it at about 6-8 MPH over and there were still people passing me. Didn't see anyone pulled over though.

I did not quite that on a stretch on I25 north of Cheyenne. I get nervous about doing that kind of stuff on roads I haven't been on before to scope it out. I found a comfortable spot on I70 west of Green River. Made 145 in the Shelby GT but haven't had the GT out there yet. I'm not afraid of going fast on a good road surface but cautious about it on places I've not been before.

Watch out for little animals (squirrels, rabbits, etc.) - any distraction at that speed and you're history. Coyotes, too. My recommendation is to save those efforts for a closed course or airport runway event.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Cool!

Ed

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

You got some cajones! Daytime and everything!

topshot

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2012
Metro Detroit, MIchigan
WOW, I bet that get your attention while your driving.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hQskey-pzFk?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hmm thats supposed to embed.

clicky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQskey-pzFk

yeah. seems like its tracking speed speed pretty well.. now if the lighting just worked!!

By lighting...are you talking about the backlighting on the gauges? I've went thru 2 voltage inverters that covert the car's DC to AC thus powering the backlights. The Speedhut gauge needle lighting is powered by DC which is through the main harness. Anyway, the first inverter was totally dead and the second one worked for a day and then smoked and failed. I'm waiting for a beefed up reengineered inverter from Speedhut. Here's a pic of the inverter blowing off a nice plume of smoke.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 485

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
Think I will stay with stock gauges...Sorry to hear about your problems with speed hunt gauges.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
The smoke freaked me out at first. My wife and I were pulling out of the garage and she screamed "fire!" I've had 2 E-type Jags and an old Mini Cooper all melt wires behind the dash. I'm familiar with how Lucas engineered smoke conduits disguised as electrical wiring. My first concern was damage to the wiring harness, but the problem fortunately is limited to the inverter.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Don't get why they designed the gauges to use an inverter for power supply anyway. There is no shortage of ample output low voltage DC leds that could be used for backlighting. They will likely get this fixed but it is disconcerting to say the least.

I sure hope the Autometer research project turns up something useful, even if its an aftermarket fix.

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
they told me on the phone they've had issues with inverters and were switching to a new model #. so they are aware. As far as staying OEM, it definitely has its plusses, but until the design flaw is fixed, i'm not going to pay to put a faulty design back in.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
As far as staying OEM, it definitely has its plusses, but until the design flaw is fixed, i'm not going to pay to put a faulty design back in.

:agree:

I haven't had a problem with my inverter and hope I don't. Seeing smoke come out of the dash isn't comforting to say the least. I really like the Speedhut lighting, it is better than OEM. You can adjust the both pointer and backlighting to your liking.

:agree:

I haven't had a problem with my inverter and hope I don't. Seeing smoke come out of the dash isn't comforting to say the least. I really like the Speedhut lighting, it is better than OEM. You can adjust the both pointer and backlighting to your liking.

Dear BlackICE,

since end of August 2012 i do have a speed hut dash as well installed, and no problems whatsoever !

Dave Jones did find it for me, after several stockgauges started to fail and i always liked the idea for myself with mostly continental europe use, a odometer- replacement with the kms outside and miles inside. After it had been fitted to my car, i drove from Brentwood, Essex, near London in U.K. to Leeds, to Edin- burgh in Scotland, and hundreds of miles through scotland, partly on lousy tarmaced roads, very bumpy and several dozens of those cow-, in scotland merely shepgrills where embedded in the tarmac. Your vehicle gets all over shaken. I returned from there all by car back to Switzerland, via the Netherlands and through France, again with lousy tarmac roads, all went well, i drove then in october 2012 two days on the Red Bull Ring in Austria, (before: "the ÖSTERREICH- RING, the Ex-F1 track of Austria) which is well known for little bumps (like small waves) in the breaking zones of the tracktarmac, just before turns, everythinghwent well, no failures, no problems till nowadays,
I personally think, that our GT friend, with smoke coming from his GT's dash, just was very unlucky, or don't you agree.

FelixIbizaSwitzerland

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I personally think, that our GT friend, with smoke coming from his GT's dash, just was very unlucky, or don't you agree.

FelixIbizaSwitzerland
I don't know. With such a small sample size no one can tell. I haven't had any problems but haven't driven the car as much as you have. The part is simple enough to swap out if needed so I'm not to concerned about it. I just have to remember if I see smoke coming out of the gauges not to freak out. But bringing this up reminds me to contact Speedhut get the updated part just in case.

To me it's no brainer to go Speedhut given the huge cost difference. Other than the tach's smaller size and different shape, I think the Speedhuts have better features and look better than OEM.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
since end of August 2012 i do have a speed hut dash as well installed, and no problems whatsoever !

Do you have pictures of your gauges (day/night) ?

Matthias

Last edited:

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Do you have pictures of your gauges (day/night) ?

Matthias

Speedhut is really awesome. They'll custom up the gauges however you like. I'll probably get the factory fix so that the car is returnable to stock in the future, but I truly do love my Speedhuts. Here's a link to my pics (day/night). http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?25176

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Thanks for the hint, know that already :) wanted to see Felix specific Gauges because I am thinking about something similar and sometimes a pictures is much better compared to my Imagination :)

Matthias, aka Brombear,

i will fly to switzerland on 10th of November, drive my car from 11.11. on and will drive to Jürgen Alzen in the "Siegerland" to go for a dynotest and some rounds on the Nordschleife without public with either streettyres when it should rain or slicks from Yokohama on 18 " weels all around when not raining.
Then i will fly back latest on 29th of november to the Balearics.

In between, when driving up to Jürgen Alzen Motorsport in 57518 Betzdorf, near Siegen, you can look at my speehutdash because i drive through FFM area.
As soon as i do know more exact planning, i' ll let you know and we can meet on a "Autobahntankstelle" or at the FFM Airport in front f. ex. "Hotel/Restaurant Schweinsteige next to the late "Esso" fuel station (maybe it has now a new Label instead of Esso!!)

What do you think about my proposal ?

FelixIbizaSwitzerland

You can as well call me, on my landline in Ibiza: 0034 971 33 26 76, or spanish handy 0034 690 287 233 should i not pick up the landline, all calls are possible between 09 and 24 h !