Rotors and pads

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
OK I finally found the right rotor and brake pad set up .I purchased the Brembo racing rotors from Shadowman .This set up works with the stock calipers!!! The pads I went with are Pagid yellows.(For fluid I use super-blue.)
I just did 2 days at Watkins Glen in brutal heat and humidity .The brakes were flawless!!! I had a constant HARD pedal .As I get older I realize how nice it is to have a constant hard one !!!
The only problem I had was after 5 laps the car temp would climb up to 245 degrees.Prior to this extreme weather, the temp only went up to 225.
The single adjustable Penske T&A shocks are wonderful!Its really nice to be able to go to the track and stiffen them up for race car handling. But even better is being able to soften them up for street use.
Thank you to all the great people who have made my Gt a better car.
The Gt guys ,Alex of T&A shocks,and Shadowman .
Bests, Roketman

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Damn it.....sumthin' else I gotta buy now. :ack

Thanks for the write-up Rocket!

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Photos of the rotors Please !! :biggrin

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
The rotors are slotted not drilled .I can also state that the fins in the middle of the rotor are directionally correct.There is a left and a right side.They are a 2 piece floating rotor as well .Shadowman can fill you in more.They are his baby !!
Very important to use the correct pads .Its all about dissipating heat !!

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Nice post of the brakes. Thank You. I apologize for the hijack rant in advance…

It really is a shame our cars are crippled by this heat issue after all this time. I have never heard of any other modern supercar ever needing such care to prevent overheating like this (having to be careful to stay in higher gears, etc.). I have owned Ferraris, Lamborghinis, and Porsches (air cooled even) and driven them without any thought or remote concern of overheating, nor have I heard of anyone I knew in that world with such a problem (unless the car was very old). My car has every possible fix for this solution, and the temps are still too high as well. Early on folks outside this community spoke of the Ford GT “Achilles heel” being the broken axle shaft bolts which turned out to be nothing really in the end. But the high temps experienced during “spirited driving” (what the car is supposed to be designed for) in my opinion is the current “Achilles heel” legacy for the Ford GT. Maybe this will too become “nothing” one day when someone designs a real fix for the problem short of removing the air conditioning. Many of the developers for aftermarket products for the Ford GT are from the “drag racing” world, and as such will never experience the problem and their traditional fixes for their purposes don’t work in road racing. A simple “Gurney” flap design for the front pair of air dams, Kip? Heffner, Muscle Motors, and Stillen have kicked around other mechanical ideas. Meanwhile folks with other F, L, & P cars are chucking every time we limp back after a handful of laps on a DNF at a simple trackday. Kind of silly really when you consider the tremendous amount of aftermarket work that has been done on these cars.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Gulf GT,
I have had the inter cooler mod done by the Gt guys ,the brake ducts made functional .I must say these have really helped .Prior to this last very ,very hot day my temp only went up to 225. I was pleased with this .There were 2 other Gets at the event.One of them a friend of mine Dave has the gurney flap on the nose and also removes the grill covering the fans.His temp never goes over 225.But in all fairness he does run slower around the track.I am however open to any ideas on how to bring temps lower. I will say the Nardo car never got hot engine temps when I drove her in Vegas .

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Ron correct me if I am wrong, but don't you now have pully and a tune? more air and fuel does equal more heat? Might be a factor?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Granted, I may not run as fast or as hard as you guys on the track, but my car has never had an issue, and I have the '05 grill AND my front bra on at all times; however, I think it's just that other color cars are crippled right from the start since they are not RED.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
"...inter cooler mod.." What's that?

Howard

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Kind of like a flux capacitor, but only found in RED cars. Other color cars need twin turbos/bigger whipples to keep up.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I have a RED car and run a BRA at the track. I wired my fans constant on when at the track and have a pulley for 600RWHP and I can go like hell for 20 minutes before it creeps up to the red line on the temp gauge. I'm going to change coolant and add the springs in the hoses to see if it makes any difference. I know I'm going like hell because there are no passers, just the passed. :lol

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
It really is a shame our cars are crippled by this heat issue after all this time. I have never heard of any other modern supercar ever needing such care to prevent overheating like this (having to be careful to stay in higher gears, etc.). I have owned Ferraris, Lamborghinis, and Porsches (air cooled even) and driven them without any thought or remote concern of overheating, nor have I heard of anyone I knew in that world with such a problem (unless the car was very old). My car has every possible fix for this solution, and the temps are still too high as well. Early on folks outside this community spoke of the Ford GT “Achilles heel” being the broken axle shaft bolts which turned out to be nothing really in the end. But the high temps experienced during “spirited driving” (what the car is supposed to be designed for) in my opinion is the current “Achilles heel” legacy for the Ford GT. Maybe this will too become “nothing” one day when someone designs a real fix for the problem short of removing the air conditioning. Many of the developers for aftermarket products for the Ford GT are from the “drag racing” world, and as such will never experience the problem and their traditional fixes for their purposes don’t work in road racing. A simple “Gurney” flap design for the front pair of air dams, Kip? Heffner, Muscle Motors, and Stillen have kicked around other mechanical ideas. Meanwhile folks with other F, L, & P cars are chucking every time we limp back after a handful of laps on a DNF at a simple trackday. Kind of silly really when you consider the tremendous amount of aftermarket work that has been done on these cars.
Very well stated.

Aug 25, 2006
OK I finally found the right rotor and brake pad set up .I purchased the Brembo racing rotors from Shadowman .This set up works with the stock calipers!!! The pads I went with are Pagid yellows.(For fluid I use super-blue.)
I just did 2 days at Watkins Glen in brutal heat and humidity .The brakes were flawless!!! I had a constant HARD pedal .As I get older I realize how nice it is to have a constant hard one !!!
The only problem I had was after 5 laps the car temp would climb up to 245 degrees.Prior to this extreme weather, the temp only went up to 225.
The single adjustable Penske T&A shocks are wonderful!Its really nice to be able to go to the track and stiffen them up for race car handling. But even better is being able to soften them up for street use.
Thank you to all the great people who have made my Gt a better car.
The Gt guys ,Alex of T&A shocks,and Shadowman .
Bests, Roketman

Roketman aka Ron

Thank you

For the kind words and the commets about the rotors; they are the best hardware that Brembo offers. It took a great amount of work from my end and Brembo to bring this program togther and the results are exactly as anticipated.

Takes care

Shadowman

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...I will say the Nardo car never got hot engine temps when I drove her in Vegas .

As I recall, the Nardo yellow car does not have an air conditioning system.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Ron correct me if I am wrong, but don't you now have pully and a tune? more air and fuel does equal more heat? Might be a factor?

Many stock cars have had the same problem.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
No ac in the Nardo car is correct.
My cooling issues are vastly improved with the intercooler mod .The extremme heat was not much of a help .Shadowman or Rich from the Gt guys could post pics of the mod.
I guess we will see how she does in Texas

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Gulf GT,
I have had the inter cooler mod done by the Gt guys ,the brake ducts made functional .I must say these have really helped .Prior to this last very ,very hot day my temp only went up to 225. I was pleased with this .There were 2 other Gets at the event.One of them a friend of mine Dave has the gurney flap on the nose and also removes the grill covering the fans.His temp never goes over 225.But in all fairness he does run slower around the track.I am however open to any ideas on how to bring temps lower. I will say the Nardo car never got hot engine temps when I drove her in Vegas .

Thanks, and that is my understanding. The cars that are not generally having the problem are not really being "pushed". The "Nardo" car has the AC condenser removed and front cooling aerofoils added, and obviously they did that for their own high heat reasons because we know they were definitely "pushing" that car to the limits.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12035&highlight=nardo

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
What is the intercooler mod?

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
What is the intercooler mod?

I believe its reducing the size of the intercooler. It is somewhat contraversial depending upon who you talk to.

Dave

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I believe its reducing the size of the intercooler. It is somewhat contraversial depending upon who who talk to.

Dave

I guess that will help with the engine coolant temp at the expense of air inlet temps. I guess I would pass on this mod.