CNBC reports Apple in talks with McLaren

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
Just reported on CNBC. Might be a nice combo. McLaren possibly valued at up to $2 billion?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
McLaren builds really fast cars, but they can be insanely frustrating.

I had to replace a battery in a 12C. No batteries in stock. Anywhere. No wait, no batteries in stock and battery is discontinued. New battery retail is $2400 and it requires $750 "upgrade" kit to install it. When I pulled the battery, I weighed it and it was 23 lbs. Not exactly an 8 lb Braille for that money.

I had a 12C coupe for a year. Nav system never figured out it wasn't in Pennsylvania anymore. Bought a 650S spider, immediately popped passenger side airbag light and the closest dealer who can clear a code is 4 hours away. 3 windshields deep on 675LT at $4800 for the windshield standalone or $6400 for installed.

I like the car as an alternative to Ferrari, they are fast as balls and I think they look good, best paint on a sports car, but between the depreciation (if you buy new) and various reliability quirks, it can be painful. Apple's biz is based on things looking great and just working. Mac has a lot of work to do on those fronts.

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX

I had to replace a battery in a 12C. No batteries in stock. Anywhere. No wait, no batteries in stock and battery is discontinued. New battery retail is $2400 and it requires $750 "upgrade" kit to install it. When I pulled the battery, I weighed it and it was 23 lbs. Not exactly an 8 lb Braille for that money.

I had a 12C coupe for a year. Nav system never figured out it wasn't in Pennsylvania anymore. Bought a 650S spider, immediately popped passenger side airbag light and the closest dealer who can clear a code is 4 hours away. 3 windshields deep on 675LT at $4800 for the windshield standalone or $6400 for installed.

I like the car as an alternative to Ferrari, they are fast as balls and I think they look good, best paint on a sports car, but between the depreciation (if you buy new) and various reliability quirks, it can be painful. Apple's biz is based on things looking great and just working. Mac has a lot of work to do on those fronts.

Didn't you tell me at the Petrol Lounge, "the cheapest way to own a McLaren was to crash it into a Lamborghini and set them both on fire"? I'm still laughing about that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Sounds about right :lol

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
I think it could be an interesting combo actually,
Apple would spend 1% of their cash on hand and buy a product which is a premium product.
And "voila" you have a manufacturing facility and decent engineers you can "teach" to upgrade the product they have in mind while at the same time still selling 1000 Supercars a year and putting the Apple logo on the race cars.

Might work...

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
and they might finally be able to get the navigation to work properly also

digman1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2007
Dallas Texas
I forget the name of the English gentleman from Houston that is doing a commemorative version of Tomy Hamon's GT350 race car from the 60's, but he owns a 2012 McLaren. Said he told his wife he had a big day a few week ago, when the McLaren went a whole day without having a warning light appear on the dash. Not good.

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
and they might finally be able to get the navigation to work properly also

My back up camera never really worked right...there were a ton of little issues. IRIS upgrade was meh.....I don't miss it.

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
I forget the name of the English gentleman from Houston that is doing a commemorative version of Tomy Hamon's GT350 race car from the 60's, but he owns a 2012 McLaren. Said he told his wife he had a big day a few week ago, when the McLaren went a whole day without having a warning light appear on the dash. Not good.

Dave Rowan, Texas Mongrel and he definitely is a gentleman, and his wife Roz, is a lady.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Dave Rowan, Texas Mongrel and he definitely is a gentleman, and his wife Roz, is a lady.

Unfortunately, he may have to get rid of his McLaren when a new FGT arrives. I don't think Dave will shed many tears. :)

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
Unfortunately, he may have to get rid of his McLaren when a new FGT arrives. I don't think Dave will shed many tears. :)

I would consider that fortunately.

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
Both Apple and McLaren need constant software updates and bring out new models every year so it's a great fit [emoji6]

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
Both Apple and McLaren need constant software updates and bring out new models every year so it's a great fit [emoji6]

Phil, did you make it back to London today?

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
First Tesla and Solar City, now this rumor with Apple? There has been an "apple car' rumor for years. I dont see them buying anyone, there would be a JV with VW before they went outright as a manufacturer IMO. Next it will be Lamborghini and Exxon merge to burn off excess gasoline supply. What is the world coming to?

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
“We can confirm that McLaren is not in discussion with Apple in respect of any potential investment,” McLaren said in a statement.

Apple declined to comment.

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
Phil, did you make it back to London today?

Just landed. Now for the joy of jet lag....

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
I think the benefits to Apple would be acquiring the software and engineering aspects that McLaren has. Apple is sitting on over $200 billion in cash overseas and can't repatriate it at less than a 40% tax rate. They would be getting a discount on the purchase, as opposed to bringing the money back home at the abusive US tax rate. "Just do it". A drop in the bucket versus sitting on cash generating nothing.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA

Sounds like your typical British sports car. I read all the horror stories and still bought a Lotus Esprit and Range Rover then went through the same pains.

I'm all -- Buy 'Merican now!! Life's too short.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
I think the benefits to Apple would be acquiring the software and engineering aspects that McLaren has. Apple is sitting on over $200 billion in cash overseas and can't repatriate it at less than a 40% tax rate. They would be getting a discount on the purchase, as opposed to bringing the money back home at the abusive US tax rate. "Just do it". A drop in the bucket versus sitting on cash generating nothing.

Acquisition is part of a financial strategy to repatriate to US dollars - a drop at a time. Nice work if you can get it.. :biggrin

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas

Drove it to NASA and back today. No radio, "tuner not found", so I tried playing my IPod instead, so many pops bangs and splutters through the speakers that you couldn't reallly tell what tune was playing. They are the most amazing car on the track, and the most infuriating on the road.
Apple is not apparently chasing McLaren Automotive Group, but McLaren Technology Group. MTG does all the electronics for (I think) every F1 car out there, plus Nascar, Indycar, etc. they also have some amazing proprietary technology such as 3-D screens that don't need glasses to see the effect.
So now we can look forward to buggy auto electronics that come with no user manual and that's constantly telling you what to do. Oh, and you'll have to buy a new one every year 'cos they'll change a ton of s**t for no reason (witness IOS 10 that looks an awful lot like IOS 8.0)