A solution or two for dealer mark ups/adm fees on new GT!!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
While they could certainly change the planned volume, there are practical limitations with the car. A carbon fiber Viper hood made at Plasan takes 90 minutes to produce. Even if you're not fighting for autoclave time and doing pre-preg, you're still talking about a pretty long production time for anything in CF, which virtually the entire Ford GT is.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Who is making the carbon fiber tub and body panels?

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I believe 250k.
I am not worried about selling the car for a profit. I was't when I bought my 05 in 05.
I am only worried about a chance to buy the next GT for a "reasonable" price. I will not pay "much" over MRSP. The ford by back ( or dealer) plan sounds good to me (since I am not selling)!

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Ford doesn't have that luxury. How many owners would be willing to sign on for the car while giving Ford right of first refusal to buy it back at MSRP for some substantial time period? I suspect not nearly as many that would like Ford to guarantee the car gets sold at MSRP.

Im really surprised at you saying this here...... I think you know the answer is most here would take that deal, i would rather sell my house than to sell my GT :)

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Am I missing something ? Didn't one of the Ford exec say all production are spoken for already.

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
"The allocation strategy that works best is the one that makes it most likely I end up with one." - Everyone, Ford GT Forum, January 2015. :lol

Exactly right!:biggrin
The idea of a MSRP buyback is nice, but that is not how these deals are actually set up. The thing that is not mentioned here is these agree not to resell contracts are set up to protect the markup the dealer could have received in the first place. My buddies Ferrari dealer contract for first right of buyback said lower of MSRP or current market value (loosely based on wholesale). So even though he had a buyer at or above MSRP, he would have had to sell to the dealer for the market value which was presented at much below MSRP at that time. How many would still sign then? I sure wouldn't, especially if I put up 300k or more.

Last edited:

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
The Lexus LFA allocation debacle is a great example of how restricting sales and adding legal agreements can screw up a cars legacy.

The 05/6 Gt should be a great model of what works right with low volume high demand vehicles. The worldwide market will set the transaction price for this car and there is nothing to any of us can do to stop that. There is a pretty big swing in laying down the cash from Dubai to Daytona.

Ford would need a team of lawyers chasing customers to enforce any buy back restrictions. And the negativity of all that would be a media nightmare. MSRP is really just a dream of a liberal Senator from Oklahoma from the 50's! And a good deal is no more than a state of mind or emotion.

stew

Jan 20, 2015
Louisiana
I believe the term is free market system. I have always wanted an 05-06 GT. I remember seeing a Gulf one at a dealer about an hour from my house when they first came out. The dealer said they wanted 100k over sticker. I was so mad I just left. Every time I have seen any GT since, it was priced above MSRP. I have no doubt that some of you lucky people have gotten them at or below MSRP and I never pay above MSRP for anything, but this time around I may have to so that I can ensure that I get the car I want. The reality is if I dont, someone else will. The free market system can stink, but whoever said life was fair was just trying to keep you in your place...

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
I believe the term is free market system. I have always wanted an 05-06 GT. I remember seeing a Gulf one at a dealer about an hour from my house when they first came out. The dealer said they wanted 100k over sticker. I was so mad I just left. Every time I have seen any GT since, it was priced above MSRP. I have no doubt that some of you lucky people have gotten them at or below MSRP and I never pay above MSRP for anything, but this time around I may have to so that I can ensure that I get the car I want. The reality is if I dont, someone else will. The free market system can stink, but whoever said life was fair was just trying to keep you in your place...

Began my career working for a fellow who later became a billionaire. He was quoted as saying, "Fair? That's a tent in the country." It was a good place to learn.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I will have to remember that quote about the tent!!!!

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
As I often told my estimators - don't forget the A.O.P. at the bottom of your bid sheet.

Additional Owner Profit. (i.e. to recover owner funds for the "no profit jobs" that happen once in a while)

It never bothered me to ask for it for the business, and personally hate to pay it as a consumer .

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida

GTs were changing hands in the mid $120k range not that far back. Timing is everything. On another note, I predict that these hyper-tech cars will have a much shorter shelf life in terms of desirability than the FGT/Carrera GT and prior cars.