What to call the new GT

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
I've figured out what they should call the new GT, given that they've all been "NAMED" "GT", but the original was dubbed the "GT40" and ours dubbed the "GT", the new one should be dubbed "GT-E" or "GTE". Both for the 'eco-boost' engine, as well as the racing class at LeMans it'll most likely contest. Yes?

So, GT-E/GTE. If we start using it now, it'll catch on, I'm sure of it. :biggrin

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I think I can get on board with this.

Matech GT1

GT Owner
Apr 2, 2009
London
Excellent thought. :)
Works for me.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
GTU

For; GT Unobtanium

:lol sorry, couldn't resist.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I've figured out what they should call the new GT, given that they've all been "NAMED" "GT", but the original was dubbed the "GT40" and ours dubbed the "GT", the new one should be dubbed "GT-E" or "GTE". Both for the 'eco-boost' engine, as well as the racing class at LeMans it'll most likely contest. Yes?

So, GT-E/GTE. If we start using it now, it'll catch on, I'm sure of it. :biggrin

I think I can get on board with this.

Got the boss' approval, Pro. Looks like you got a winner.

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Why change a great name ..... Ford GT Works for me.

ROCK

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2006
Miami
GT-R would have been the best.
GT Turbo or GT-T might work...
Although Ford thought about this long and hard and sticked to Ford GT which also works fine.

NJGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
I like the idea.

Ford has used the GT-E name in the past.

It was a special option package for the Cougar in 1968 which included the 7.0 litre engine. Limited production - 357 built with the 427 and an additional 37 GT-Es were built with 428 Cobra Jet Ram Air engines.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Why change a great name ..... Ford GT Works for me.

The car will always be Ford GT, but it's a pain in the ass to explain which model year you're discussing. :lol Need quick reference.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
The car will always be Ford GT, but it's a pain in the ass to explain which model year you're discussing. :lol Need quick reference.

Simmer down, people. ^^what he said. Just a naming convention for the forum to differentiate the 3 cars instead of having to say 05/06 GT, 'old' GT, new/old GT vs. the 'new GT'.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
GTII or GT2

OR, to incorporate the 2 prior GT offerings and the NEW one: GTIII or GT3

Clax

GT Owner
Mar 22, 2006
How about...

Ford GT50

It's the 50-year anniversary of the GT40, hence the use of "50". And Ford wouldn't have to worry about the rights issue with GT40.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
It's common for the aficionados of certain makes to refer to their model by the manufacturer's model number. E.g., "S197" for Mustangs of 2005-2009, W123 for MB E class cars of 1979-1985, etc. What is the internal model number of our 05-06 GTs and the model number of the new GT?

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Ours could have been called Mark V, the next one Mark VI, so simple and a continuation from the originals.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
La Henry

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit

Close the polls. :lol

But no space. LaHenry. Perfect.

Could also go with LaPhoenix.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Close the polls. :lol

But no space. LaHenry. Perfect.

Could also go with LaPhoenix.

My nomenclature suggestion is easily worth a second year allocation.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
No but seriously, if people want to call it something to easily designate between the two?

To me, 2005-2006 Ford GT will always be referred to in shorthand as: FGT

To me, the forthcoming new Ford GT will always be referred to in shorthand as: PHX

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Ours could have been called Mark V, the next one Mark VI, so simple and a continuation from the originals.

...buuuuuut... when you ask for such-and-such part at the parts counter you may be handed one with "Lincoln" stamped on it...

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
D
No but seriously, if people want to call it something to easily designate between the two?

To me, 2005-2006 Ford GT will always be referred to in shorthand as: FGT

To me, the forthcoming new Ford GT will always be referred to in shorthand as: PHX

I like FGT2......since it implies a FGT3.