WhIPPLE RACE VIDEO vs AWD RACE EVO

Status
Not open for further replies.

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
Ok, so of the ones dressing him down, how many of you have never done a street race? Just curious.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Ok, so of the ones dressing him down, how many of you have never done a street race? Just curious.

Never - but have enjoyed many competitions on tracks! ...and a few with damage, unfortunately.

No public road can be completely closed, and any animal (racoon, rabbit, deer, mouse, squirrel, etc.) could have jumped out and taken a driver's eye away long enough to create a disaster - Just not smart!!

Last edited:

SuperNova

GT Owner
Jul 4, 2013
Ashburn, VA
What I love the most about this community is that there's no "KILL STORIES" sub forum. I've street raced, been to events, etc. I have completely distanced myself from any activities like that because while it's fun playing Vin Diesel (yes I'm a big bald guy with a supra go ahead and laugh) I'd hate for someone from this group to be caught up in something painful or worse.

That said, that's one hell of a quick car. In a controlled setting w/out dust/debris/poles/scary stuff/etc I bet the times would be really impressive. Sounds great as well!

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
I liked street racing till I hit a wall going 90mph in my mustang. On the other side of the wall was a playground, luckily kids werent playing at that time. I loved the video btw, and glad its a closed off street, but shit happens be careful.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Well said, and I agree completely. There are too many legal and sanctioned drag strips with safety rules and inspections, emergency medical personnel, clean and wide racing surfaces, consistent starting procedures, etc., and where a win actually means something, to resort to street racing, in my opinion. I really hate to see video like this involving the Ford GT that I am so passionate about, on this highly respected forum.

Eddie FourFather Hill

I agree 100% with my esteemed fellow Wichitan. Eddie knows a thing or two about drag racing, on asphalt and water!
Ajai Cadambi, MD
Rider High School Class of '78

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
I have not watched the video. I was much younger years ago, and had a few "kills" under my belt. I'm just glad that no one was killed. I'm older and wiser, had I known then, what I know now, I'd like to think that I would not take it to the street, and if I did, not brag about and post it. Sermon over, flame suit on

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I'm also very concerned about safety, so I hope that no one here falls off their soapbox and gets hurt.

Sure, the racing in the video is dangerous, but assuming the road was in fact closed, dangerous only to the participants, and certainly less dangerous to innocent bystanders than the myriad "hauling a** down my favorite road" tales I've read here over the years. Those participating in the race are big boys all and know the consequences.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I'm also very concerned about safety, so I hope that no one here falls off their soapbox and gets hurt.

:lol

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Turn off your lights next time and you'll pick up a half car length .:biggrin . We've probably all had a street race of one kind or another in our automotive lives.. ..

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Is it racing if you are not completing against the clock or another car?

I bet most everyone here has broken the speed limit (EP excluded), so clearly doing that can't be considered street racing.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
No public road can be completely closed, and any animal (racoon, rabbit, deer, mouse, squirrel, etc.) could have jumped out and taken a driver's eye away long enough to create a disaster - Just not smart!!​

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
No public road can be completely closed, and any animal (racoon, rabbit, deer, mouse, squirrel, etc.) could have jumped out and taken a driver's eye away long enough to create a disaster - Just not smart!!​

or pelicans! :lol

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Is it racing if you are not completing against the clock or another car?

I bet most everyone here has broken the speed limit (EP excluded), so clearly doing that can't be considered street racing.

Legally you are correct, but anyone here making that argument demonstrates selective outrage. Roger Rodas wasn't racing against the clock or another vehicle. He was accelerating quickly, over a short distance, to about 93 mph, something no one here ever does I'm sure. I'm fairly sure Walker's family could care less about the existence of a competing vehicle or a clock.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I hope everyone wears their helmets (or Helmut for Ron) in the shower. Just think of the risk of slipping on a sliver of soap.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I hope everyone wears their helmets (or Helmut for Ron) in the shower. Just think of the risk of slipping on a sliver of soap.

I keep all my soap on a rope to avoid that danger, among others.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Blah, post up the videos, these guys have a bigger soapbox for every subject. Nobody here invented street racing and nobody here is going to have one ounce of an affect (or is it effect) on its outcome or popularity. If a mod deletes the thread I will delete my account. Absurd, stone-throwing old nags... Hush and go back to your gossip.

FourFather

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 24, 2007
Wichita Falls, Texas 76306

I love racing and going fast more than most folks, and have done a lot of it, (Google "Eddie FourFather Hill" if interesed), but I have never done a street race. I think street racing sets a bad example for impressionable youth, for one thing.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Was part of the scene as a kid, until a good friend rolled his Mustang 5 times during a street race and died.............
Just too many variables and innocent people on the street.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I want to strangle the kids who pull stupid street racing shit out there in the streets, and today, many states and provinces have strict laws with very harsh penalties for this - but I don't think much will change over the next little while. Closed-course street races are ok as far as I'm concerned, and I won't scream out against that - but it's not quite as safe as the track. I won't participate in it, but I don't race anymore either...

I have on rare occasion, WOT'd my cars and bikes on an empty back road highway to 180-200 MPH, just to see how fast it'd get there. (not smart but I did it anyway)...

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Was part of the scene as a kid, until a good friend rolled his Mustang 5 times during a street race and died.............
Just too many variables and innocent people on the street.

Similar story, in high school, two classmates dragging on a blocked off street, one bumped the other car, lost control, hit a tree, dead on impact. There was no "winner" here, just a lesson, don't street race.

Status
Not open for further replies.