New clutch

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
First off, sorry it took so long to get this one ready. We've been working hard with AP but there have been some hurdles.

The initial review/description of the clutch came from the AP engineers. To be honest, it was on such a technical level that it was like a different language. We've gone through their description and made it a bit easier to read/understand. If you would like to see the engineers description of the improvements that were made feel free to PM me with your email address and I will forward it to you.

Most of you haven't had the stock clutch out of your car so you don't know exactly what it looks like. Once we get the new clutch from AP I will be taking some comparison pictures to better illustrate these improvements.

There were four primary improvements made to the clutch that result in one major improvement.

1. The two AP friction discs have a reduced wave spring in the middle of the discs. This improves the clutch in a couple of ways:

A) There is a more positive feel to the pedal during engagement
B) The travel is reduced to 65mm (2.55 inches) from 90mm (3.54 inches) from engaged to disengaged. Basically, you won't have to push so far to the floor to get the clutch to disengage.

2. Clutch cover diaphragm springs are tested and selected to have the highest possible rating that is still within Ford's range of allowable tolerances. This is important as an excessively high spring pressure clutch could cause premature engine thrust bearing and/or clutch release failure. This also results in a clutch that is virtually identical to stock in pedal effort.

3. The friction material used is a proprietary AP facing develop for use in their street clutches. This material has much better heat dissipation and fade resistance than the factory Ford F510 material used in the stock clutch. The combination of optimized diaphragm pressures and improved clutch friction material results in a clutch that can transmit 616 ft. lbs. of torque yet still be completely streetable.

4. The friction discs are upgraded to a 6 spring design rather than the 4 spring design of the original. This allows for more torque capacity and increased longevity during heavy use.

This clutch is a direct result of extensive testing done by Stillen on the New Zealand Targa Rally.

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
We wanted to keep the cost reasonable so we stayed as close to stock replacement as possible. An O.E.M replacement clutch is $1,829.00. This new and improved clutch will be $1,878.00

We will have the first five clutches arriving within the next few days.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
...WOW!! Price gouging! :biggrin

I must say that Stillen is becoming more and more the 'go to' guys!

Hammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 10, 2006
San Diego, CA
Sounds great, Kyle!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I'm gonna copy this to the tech section. :cheers

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Kyle,
Great info.. Do you have any idea what the torque rating of the stock clutch is?? Thanks..

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
For more information about AP and their clutch history check out their website at.

http://www.apracing.com/car/carbon/index.htm

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
Sorry, I just found this thread.... great information and thanks for all the explaining of differences...... helps out a lot... Now even for the basic daily driver (I don't track the car or street race her)

This would be an overall great replacement and longer lasting clutch?

Thanks ahead of time.....

What is the cost of labor for installation?

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
Sorry, I just found this thread.... great information and thanks for all the explaining of differences...... helps out a lot... Now even for the basic daily driver (I don't track the car or street race her)

This would be an overall great replacement and longer lasting clutch?

Thanks ahead of time.....

What is the cost of labor for installation?

I am sorry that it has taken so long for me to reply to this question. Sometimes I forget to subscribe to threads like this one.

This installation is very involved and basically requires us to take apart the back of the GT. Complete installation will take about 10 hours. If you would like to see a GT that has been torn down feel free to stop by our shop right now. Our GT is torn apart getting the NEW RACE cluth and TVS blower upgrade.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Can we get pics? Must see both TVS and dismantled transaxle!

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Great New Stuff

Thanks Stillen. Looking forward to seeing the pic's.

DBK add me to the entry list for this one too! Just in case---

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
This installation is very involved and basically requires us to take apart the back of the GT. Complete installation will take about 10 hours.

Heh... the GT guys had my new clutch installed in about 2 hours. That's sick. I think the Ford book say 14 hours.

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
Here are a few pix of the torn down transaxle...I don't have any good pix of the TVS on the GT right now, but I will have those towards the end of this week.

The man on the left is the Ricardo engineer. Steve Millen is the man on the right with the black jacket.

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 219
  • Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 218

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
The car is torn apart again in case anyone wants to stop by and check it out. It truly is a remarkable car and you respect it even more when you get to see it full blown apart like this.

Attachments

• 3 9_Kit.JPG
    3 9_Kit.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 216

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Thanks for the photos. Now that I see the transaxle case apart it brings to mind, who is going to be the 1st to polish the tranaxle case for bling?

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
Heh... the GT guys had my new clutch installed in about 2 hours. That's sick. I think the Ford book say 14 hours.

WOW...That is VERY impressive. With three guys flat out working on it we were able to strip the back half of the car (everything out except the motor) in about 4 hours. That is our current record.

I assume they did not take apart the back half of the car if they were able to do it in 2 hours?

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
Kyle....is your new blower available? Do have a cost? I didn't see it on your website..

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
Kyle....is your new blower available? Do have a cost? I didn't see it on your website..

Not yet Chris...Come on down though and check it out. It is a VERY impressive unit and should produce some great gains. We are doing the prototype work right now and hope to have more information by the end of the week.

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
I forgot to mention that the transmission is back out of the car right now because we are also working on the NEW race clutch. 30% lighter and smaller. This will be only recommended for race applications.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit

Go get pics dude.