iPhone!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
This thing is amazing!

I know it's going to break, because it's an iPod and that's what iPods do, but this is really the first mass market phone that will change the way people use their phones.

Qualms: slow EDGE network (why?), inability to use iTunes songs as ringers,
screen has a mild discoloration at the bottom.

Pros: Syncs my Mac Calendar, photos, e-mail, pop3 email, music flawlessly, comes with a real full internet browser, built-in WiFi, Google Maps built in, better than expected touchscreen utility, and as usual, Mac raises the aesthetic and ease of use bars way beyond their competitors. The way you use the phone isn't just useful, it's cool, it's entertaining, it makes me not hate using my phone. Clever stuff.

I almost got a Blackberry but convinced myself to wait a couple months for the iPhone. Glad I did. Maybe I'm biased because all my stuff is Mac hardware, but it makes me glad I own Apple stock. They'll move an incredible amount of these and based on what I've heard about production costs and provider bounties, they should make a killing on them; it just remains to be seen how well they'll hold up.

Bought one for me and one for the woman....

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Ok. I want one, my stupid Blackberry now refuses to sync my stickies, and I have spoken to the tech folks at RIM more than I have to my wife during the last two, or three weeks. I have two Blackberry's. They will call me back tomorrow between 10am and 11am to try to sort out an alternative way for me to maintain my files. If not, I may have an I phone in the afternoon.

I have tried the I phone, not nuts about the keyboard, it will take a while to get used to it.

If the Blackberry note issue is sorted out, ... if,...
I would like to hold off for them to get on the GGG system up for the I Phone, and I am in.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
The keyboard does take some time to adjust to. I find myself getting speedier with it already after one day.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Question, how about getting on the forum, does it work well, I have issues with the Blackberry. By any chance, have you tried on line banking with all the pop ups etc. ?? Can't do that with my Blackberry.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
The forum works perfect. As you probably know, as you change the orientation of the device, it changes the orientation of whatever you're viewing. The lengthwise view of the site and ability to expand as you "expand" your two fingers makes it a cinch. I've intentionally screwed around on vBulletin sites just testing it. Nothing I'd substitute a computer for, but it's legitimate internet, not "adapted" for crappy phone internet.

There is a magnifying glass for text that is useful for smaller typeface.

I just tried my online banking and it works fine. It's Safari (if you know Mac) so it handles multiple browser windows you flip through.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
ok, done, I am getting one tomorrow... I will suffer through the edge.
I ass-ume you got the 8gig unit. I am not into I pods (still have some great 78's, 33's and 8 tracks) but can use the other features.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
iPhone components

Back in 1988 my best friend and fellow Firebirds Aerobatic Team member Rory Moore and I were having lunch. Rory owned an insurance claims adjusting business in Phoenix, Arizona at the time. He told me a story about two of his best friends who were officers in the United States Navy at that time. They were both Ph.D.'s and working on a high-level computer chip program in the NOSC laboratory. They built custom silicon on Sapphire chips that were used in the warhead guidance systems of intercontinental submarine-based ballistic missiles. Pretty heady stuff. Rory told me he intended to sell his business and use the proceeds to fund his two friends who intended to leave the Navy soon and start their own semiconductor chip manufacturing business. The technology they had developed and believed they could ride to fame and fortune was truly different than any chip developed up to that time. The way to make computer chips faster and more powerful is to make them smaller, but if you make them small enough, they stopped working. The reason for this is the imperfect and porous nature of silicon. When you slice it thin enough, it resembles a slice of bread sliced superthin, you can see right through it. These two young Ph.D.'s had figured out a way to change the molecular structure of silicon, eliminating imperfections and purifying it so that when it was sliced superthin it still worked. This superthin film when applied to an insulating layer of Sapphire produced a very low power consumption, extremely small, and incredibly fast computer chips.

Rory moved from Phoenix to San Diego where he and his two friends, Ronald Reedy and Mark Burgess founded Peregrine Semiconductor Company in a 1000 square foot, fast food restaurant building one block away from the Navy recruit Depot. I was one of the initial 80 investors. Fast forward 19 years, after running out of money time and again, a dozen brushes with near death, refinancings, cram downs, venture capital firms, and employee management shuffles, Peregrine semiconductor still exists. I still have all of my stock and the company still has not gone public, though they expect to during the next year. Today, most of the very small cell phones you see including the Razor phone can only be produced by using Peregrine chips. The new iPhone uses a Peregrine Semiconductor chip as well. Today, Peregrine sells over 200 million chips per year and they are growing like a weed. When they finally do go public, I will hopefully recover my two decade old investment along with a decent return.

Buy those iPhones and help Chip retire! :banana :banana :banana

Chip

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Hey Chip...
I think in last weeks edition of Business Week there was an article that mentioned them in conjunction with Apple. The article also focused on how Apple has a public image of being guys in turtle neck sweaters, jeans and sneakers, and in reality, they are a most demanding secreative supplier. Most of the vendors are given as little info as needed to accomplish thier rfp. Some vendors find themselves banking on a relationship with them, only to find that they will not be awarded the big contract at the last minute.

Meanwhile, my Apple stock is doing very well, although I thoughts in past years that I would be using the certs to wipe the oil drippings off my garage floor.

Happy Sunday,
God Bless America,
daniel

p.s. still haven't been able to reach RP

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
ok, done, I am getting one tomorrow... I will suffer through the edge.
I ass-ume you got the 8gig unit. I am not into I pods (still have some great 78's, 33's and 8 tracks) but can use the other features.

I did get the 8 gig. The EDGE is pretty annoying depending on the internet content you are using, but with the ubiquitous WiFi connections around it's livable. EDGE is plenty good enough to sync mac and pop3 mail quickly. I've never been a big iPod guy either, but I'll use it in my car.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Yeah, yeah, the consumer groups are already after Apple because of the battery problem and the fact you can't change them yourself. Wait for the next generation you guys on the cutting edge.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Chip, regarding Peregrine Semiconductor Company, given the long and troubled past, it is liking that huge dillution of ownership happened for the early shareholders. In spite of that, I hope you do well when it IPOs.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Hope springs eternal

Chip, regarding Peregrine Semiconductor Company, given the long and troubled past, it is likely that huge dillution of ownership happened for the early shareholders. In spite of that, I hope you do well when it IPOs.

Huge dilution would be an understatement. Had I made my investment in the final round instead of the first round, I'd probably have about 10 times more shares than I have now. I'm pretty sure the venture capitalists could have wiped out the initial investors completely, but the founders, who were still critical employees, prevented that because many of the initial investors were their family members and best friends. At this point, any return will be a great return. 10 years ago I mentally wrote off my entire investment and placed the shares in my CCELA account (Chips Complete Equity Loss Account). If they have a successful IPO, I'll do fine.

Chip

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Yeah, yeah, the consumer groups are already after Apple because of the battery problem and the fact you can't change them yourself. Wait for the next generation you guys on the cutting edge.

I don't know why people think this is a big deal. When has there ever been an iPod you can change the battery on yourself? It's not like this is new information. Granted, it is a pain in the ass to be without your phone, but if you're worried about the 80 bucks for a battery that will take over 1000 full charges, you shouldn't be springing $600 for a phone with a minimum $60 monthly contract. Alot of vendors like Sony have required that you send their laptops direct-to-vendor for any service anyways.

It will be totally outdated in 6 months, but this is the way of electronics...

(I've never been big into consumer advocacy group issues like this because I've always kind of thought you had the crazy option to not purchase an item if you didn't like it or the way it worked.)

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
(still have some great 78's, 33's and 8 tracks)

What...no "45's" ???????:eek

jj1987

Jun 9, 2006
I don't know why people think this is a big deal. When has there ever been an iPod you can change the battery on yourself? It's not like this is new information. Granted, it is a pain in the ass to be without your phone, but if you're worried about the 80 bucks for a battery that will take over 1000 full charges, you shouldn't be springing $600 for a phone with a minimum $60 monthly contract. Alot of vendors like Sony have required that you send their laptops direct-to-vendor for any service anyways.

It will be totally outdated in 6 months, but this is the way of electronics...

(I've never been big into consumer advocacy group issues like this because I've always kind of thought you had the crazy option to not purchase an item if you didn't like it or the way it worked.)
There are kits for the Ipod battery that allow you to change it at home. I'd give the iphone a few months, and I'm sure the same will be available. For some reason people just like to hate on apple :confused

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
I have heard nothing but complaints here about the new phone. When the battery goes out you have to send the phone back to them and wait until it is repaired. There were a few other issues that had people up in arms too. There was a bit on TV the other day saying how many were very upset with the phones not to mention AT&T cellular customer service has been at the bottom of the scale lately. Plus it will not work with the new Microsoft Vista or any Microsoft product from what I hear. Great for Mac people bad for the rest of us.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I got one too. You're right DBK, it is the first phone sense motorla's flip that will really change the way people use a mobile phone.

As for the debate about Apple users... behold

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkrn6ecxthM

cudacharlie

Dec 21, 2005
SoCal
I tried to get one on the Monday after release, and when I showed up at the Apple store at 8:45 am, expecting a few hard-core MacHeads to maybe be waiting, I was greeted by 450 people waiting in line for what turned out to be 22 phones that had arrived the night before.

The thing that surprised me was the demographic of those in line. Only about four of us looked like the guy that plays the role of "Mac" in the tv ads. Most of those in line were Asian or Latino, had strollers and/or kids with them, and looked like their home pc was a four-year-old Dell POS which was only used for emailing pics to grandma. In other words, they were the "normals" that we Mac devotees usually think "just don't get it". ("It" being the whole Mac zeitgeist, which can be all-consuming).

The fact that the "normals" lined up in droves (waiting 450 strong since 2am!) speaks volumes about the future success of the iPhone. I was really surprised. (And glad, as I bought plenty of Apple at the utter bottom, when John Sculley was still CEO!)

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I think the phone will continue to transcend the typical Apple demographic. It was a no brainer for me because all of my hardware is Mac. But there's an awful lot of people who love their iPods who will be buying one, or just people who hate the typically crappy assortment of phones out there.

It's funny, no matter what time of day it is, what day of the week, there's always one store I go in that's just swamped with people. The Apple store.

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.