Rolex 24 at Daytona 2017

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Waxing poetic for sure!

Must have been cold to warrant long pants.

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Congrats to Ford!

Dave congrats on your upcoming delivery. Will this child be any more special than the other? :)

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
What a race! Ford kicks butt!

Ed

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
Last 2 1/2 hours re-run on FS1 now.

Last edited:

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Congrats to the drivers, Team Chip Ganassi and Ford.

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
AND THE WINNER IS... The IMSA organisation

The BOP was spot on this time...

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Excellent job all around. Looking forward to another great season.

Sounds like the BOP will keep the races exciting.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
32446896542_6215431757_b.jpg

31756169274_e2816df42e_b.jpg

31787915343_e9552f58b0_b.jpg

32477105281_bf81517d31_b.jpg

32477107101_d667e527aa_b.jpg

32220777440_0bbb6ae88d_b.jpg

31787918393_525ab1626a_b.jpg

32600025095_5e36c77eba_b.jpg

32600027495_2829980ef1_b.jpg

31787896873_d94286ee08_b.jpg

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
32600009785_328c906982_b.jpg

31787899393_1549072bd0_b.jpg

31756152764_6271ea6fde_b.jpg

32559431126_f9a4221f12_b.jpg

31787905073_8ac3175582_b.jpg

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Excellent job all around. Looking forward to another great season.

Sounds like the BOP will keep the races exciting.

Congratulations to Ford, and the team. What an incredible run. Weather was a challenge, race was close, what a day!

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
There was only one thing that would have made this all even better. ..seeing Henry III's smiling face and the proud look on his face in victory circle! Chris told us he was all set to come but last minute other obligations prevented him from being there. I know he was watching the race, and if he reads the Forum - we sure wish you could have been here! Congratulations! :cheers

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Stunning photos. Proud to have been there to watch history being made.

Howard

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
What a spectacular win! Dirk drove masterfully on that final stint. Susan and I were in Oceanside at a wedding but you better believe my IMSA app was on full time. Needed a back up battery for my phone just to keep connected through the whole thing. Then during dinner the conversation turned into Ford's win at Le Mans and their running in Daytona. I wonder how that happened? Haha! Really wish we were there but more importantly congrats to the entire CGR/Ford Performance team. Looks like they are making a habit of winning the big ones! So good! Go Blu.

Vince H

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
One for the ages.

Gentlemen,

Daytona 2017 was truly one for the ages. If it is possible for a race to be more exciting than Le Mans last summer, (though admittedly not as important), this was it. It was absolutely insane. Ford GT's all out front for a period of time, and then all the Ford GT's were back in the pack. Cold, wet, miserable weather all night that the drivers and crew had to deal with. We had a much easier go of it in the comfortable confines of the Rolex lounge directly over the start finish line at the very top of those massive grandstands. We could see the entire track and the cars never disappeared from view and this made for a grand experience.

But during the last hour of that race I stood outside transfixed by the raging battle playing out before me. Six cars within three seconds of the lead, often the top four within one second of the first place car. I stood next to eight men all wearing Rizi Competition Ferrari jackets and hats. With 40 minutes to go they were jubilant as it appeared their car had untouchable speed on every straightaway. It was going to take something dramatic to put the Ford GT out front and Muller knew it. Unable to out accelerate that Ferrari he chose to out brake it in turn one right in front of us. In one of the riskiest and most dramatic passes during that race he pulled off what did not look possible. All of the Ferrari spectators to my right let out a loud collective "F**K" while those of us wearing Ford colors cheered wildly.

The words of Chip Ganassi came to mind when, after the #68 Ford GT took the lead at Le Mans and Ford factory executive turned to him and said, "What happens now?" his response was, "A million things can happen now, and only one of them is good".

But the most heart attack inducing moments were yet to come as that masterfully driven Porsche 911 tried to do the exact same thing about eight laps in a row, stuffing his nose deep into turn one only to have Muller expertly slam the door shut in a masterful display of defensive positioning. I've been to thousands of sporting events in my life but I have never been so on edge. And when it was all over I was almost more relieved than jubilant.

I'll be the first to admit that I would not be calling this "One for the ages" had the final result gone another way. But it didn't.

And with all of that drama going on, Brian Stormer and I were trying to soothe our frazzled nerves by consuming 50,000 calories a day from the buffet, bar, and desert lines up in that lounge. It may take a week or so before our systems get back to normal.

What a ride!

Chip

Attachments

• Porsche.jpg
    Porsche.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:

knightka

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 6, 2015
Los Altos, CA
Photos

Lots of great photos from Daytona in this Jalopnik article:
http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/here-is-your-2017-rolex-24-hours-at-daytona-mega-uber-g-1791777288

yq0yqacysxuoggfvv7gc.jpg

oaq2mr1y0t3ybk7yopvl.jpg

yq0yqacysxuoggfvv7gc.jpg

b3icaaydgxst8disghg2.jpg

zxbmqivnr29nnlwsxwai.jpg

fmcfvm9acmuopavm1jfg.jpg

jeake2mkav1akn91fz44.jpg

qh1vcot007ephmfpncyx.jpg

vsvs3dynxwd0tcjeczm5.jpg

tktbwbicqg2ky5uplbq6.jpg

rof4towv6xj6vykkhkno.jpg

a2tfvom5kbmlzgsnikmt.jpg

klgthvacld3ipquaahas.jpg

nzjpvafaqmniaitplfzd.jpg

ivszponlp611dndizbht.jpg

yscd5xvder2kxt2fnuty.jpg

oatx5vlgoene6npy8p7b.jpg

nogjmeebaalhhkucsgvz.jpg

plcoh97xlytphepwyqsi.jpg

smtvqlwsvk0wi8pdxz4t.jpg

otihhlcq7ae4qhxv8abz.jpg

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Howard spotted this gentleman walking through the grandstand behind us.

wu1.jpg

Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Retired less than a year and that was the best seat he could get?

Howard

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
Gentlemen,

Daytona 2017 was truly one for the ages. If it is possible for a race to be more exciting than Le Mans last summer, (though admittedly not as important), this was it. It was absolutely insane. Ford GT's all out front for a period of time, and then all the Ford GT's were back in the pack. Cold, wet, miserable weather all night that the drivers and crew had to deal with. We had a much easier go of it in the comfortable confines of the Rolex lounge directly over the start finish line at the very top of those massive grandstands. We could see the entire track and the cars never disappeared from view and this made for a grand experience.

But during the last hour of that race I stood outside transfixed by the raging battle playing out before me. Six cars within three seconds of the lead, often the top four within one second of the first place car. I stood next to eight men all wearing Rizi Competition Ferrari jackets and hats. With 40 minutes to go they were jubilant as it appeared their car had untouchable speed on every straightaway. It was going to take something dramatic to put the Ford GT out front and Muller knew it. Unable to out accelerate that Ferrari he chose to out brake it in turn one right in front of us. In one of the riskiest and most dramatic passes during that race he pulled off what did not look possible. All of the Ferrari spectators to my right let out a loud collective "F**K" while those of us wearing Ford colors cheered wildly.

The words of Chip Ganassi came to mind when, after the #68 Ford GT took the lead at Le Mans and Ford factory executive turned to him and said, "What happens now?" his response was, "A million things can happen now, and only one of them is good".

But the most heart attack inducing moments were yet to come as that masterfully driven Porsche 911 tried to do the exact same thing about eight laps in a row, stuffing his nose deep into turn one only to have Muller expertly slam the door shut in a masterful display of defensive positioning. I've been to thousands of sporting events in my life but I have never been so on edge. And when it was all over I was almost more relieved than jubilant.

I'll be the first to admit that I would not be calling this "One for the ages" had the final result gone another way. But it didn't.

And with all of that drama going on, Brian Stormer and I were trying to soothe our frazzled nerves by consuming 50,000 calories a day from the buffet, bar, and desert lines up in that lounge. It may take a week or so before our systems get back to normal.

What a ride!

Chip

Chip, I skipped dinner last night and lunch today. I'm pretty sure I had the same caloric intake as you and Stormcat in the Rolex Lounge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
Chip, I skipped dinner last night and lunch today. I'm pretty sure I had the same caloric intake as you and Stormcat in the Rolex Lounge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think "Icecreamcat" has everyone beat on the caloric intake stuff

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
FORD CHIP GANASSI RACING WINS GTLM TITLE AT ROLEX 24 AT DAYTONA

Joey Hand, Dirk Müller and Sébastien Bourdais drive to GTLM class win in riveting battle of manufacturers

Ford GT has now won its category in both the Rolex 24 At Daytona and the Le Mans 24 Hours

Ford GTs finished p1, p5, p7 and p10

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla., Jan. 29, 2017 – It didn’t seem the 55th-annual Rolex 24 could get any more exciting for Ford Chip Ganassi Racing. All four Ford GTs were united, competing together on one track for the first time since the Le Mans 24 last year. The team qualified p1-2-3 in GTLM. Then came the final 30 minutes of the race.

After starting on pole, the No. 66 Ford GT led much of the early hours. Then came the overnight stints and some of the most challenging conditions, between wet and the cold temperatures, the drivers had ever been up against.

In spite of it all, the same trio who propelled Ford to a GTE Pro win at Le Mans in 2016 – p1 qualifier Joey Hand, Dirk Müller and Sébastien Bourdais - charged up to the front again and again.

“The win made me very uncomfortable to watch. And sweaty,” said Hand, who with Bourdais watched Müller take the checkered flag with the No. 66 just as they did at Le Mans. “I told my family at home before I left that I had a good feeling about this race. I really felt like we could win. We worked really well together. That’s what makes a difference. The three of us together, you may not think a German dude, a French guy who has a bunch of IndyCar championships and a guy from California would work together the best, but we do really work well together.”

While it looked as if more than one Ford GT would make the podium, various pit strategies and cautions landed the No. 69 (Andy Priaulx/Harry Tincknell/Tony Kanaan) p5 and the No. 68 (Olivier Pla/Stefan Mücke/Billy Johnson) p7. The No. 67 Ford GT finished laps down after an accident in the Bus Stop in the treacherous overnight hours.

“It’s an incredible event,” Tincknell said. “You race hard from the start but it’s all about the last hour and keeping the car in one piece for that final flat out run to the flag…Overall, though, what a mega experience. The Americans know how to entertain; bunching the cars up and going racing in this way is incredible. There was some great racing going on and I really want to come back next year.”

It was the seventh Rolex 24 win for Chip Ganassi Racing, the first in the GT ranks, and the 19th win for Ford at the event. Ford and Chip Ganassi Racing first teamed up to win in prototype in 2015.

“With any of these endurance races, there are many ways to win or to lose,” Bourdais said. “To be honest, we just didn’t put a foot or a wheel wrong.”

Both Hand and Bourdais thanked Müller for fighting off rival manufacturers for a riveting finish that landed them on the top step of the podium.

“Dirk just did it in the end,” Bourdais said. “It’s always that way in Daytona. It almost doesn’t matter what happens in the 23 ½ hours, everything matters from the last yellow flag.”

“I have to thank my teammates here,” Müller said. “To follow up to things Chip is always saying in our meetings, hand the car over as you would have it. We’re lucky I don’t have to hand the car over, because there’s a little scratch on the right-side mirror now from my move with the Ferrari (laugher), but what a race. Joey said it. I think to sit here is a big honor because we managed to win a very challenging race. I think the whole team a fantastic job.”

Ford’s history with the event in its current format stretches back to its very first green flag. In 1966, a Ford GT 40 won the first-ever 24-hour endurance race at Daytona.

“This is a great win for our GT program,” said Raj Nair, executive vice president of Global Product Development and chief technical officer, Ford Motor Company. “It's a credit to everyone involved, from our Ford team to Ganassi, Roush Yates, Multimatic and Michelin. Conditions were very difficult throughout much of the race, but that winning car had no issues at all against some of the best competition in the sport.

There's a lot to be proud of with this win and we hope it's the start of a great season for our teams."

The race gives momentum to Ford Chip Ganassi Racing for the rest of the year in both IMSA and FIA WEC competition.

“It’s a proud day for everyone at Ford,” said Dave Pericak, global director, Ford Performance. “We came into this race with a lot to prove after last year and it was great to see all four of our GTs run so well. The competition was amazing, and the 66 car guys ran a perfect race. It's a great way to start 2017, and we couldn't be more proud of everyone who worked so hard to prepare for this race."