Takata airbag recall

Billy J.

GT Owner
Oct 29, 2014
That is great news.Thanks... I assume they had to order the parts first before you took your car in for your appointment?

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
Less than an hour total time for both sides.

I posted pictures back earlier in this thread showing he actuator on the driver side air bag module.

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
I posted pictures back earlier in this thread showing he actuator on the driver side air bag module.

It is post #118.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Notice to Ford dealerships:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM469524/RCMN-14V802-0185.pdf

(Note, contains illustrations for the installer)

excerpt:

FORD GT SPECIAL HANDLING
NOTE: Dealers should make every attempt to consolidate repair of the driver and passenger inflator
replacements in one visit.
Dealers are authorized to claim up to a maximum combined value of $200 to provide unique services
to Ford GT owners under Customer Satisfaction Program 14809. Examples of potential services
include:
• Technician travel to vehicle location for repair
• Vehicle transportation (towing/flatbed) to and from dealership
Ford and Lincoln Dealerships are authorized to claim the special handling allowance. Owners will not
be notified of this service in owner mailings.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Notice to Ford dealerships:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM469524/RCMN-14V802-0185.pdf

(Note, contains illustrations for the installer)

excerpt:

That is pretty cool! Thanks for the info. Will be nice to have a tech come do this in the safety of my own garage. Thanks, Ford!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
That is pretty cool! Thanks for the info. Will be nice to have a tech come do this in the safety of my own garage. Thanks, Ford!

I don't think the exception applies to a home call but rather to a dealer out in the boonies of Nebraska that has to bring in a trained GT tech from Omaha :)

From looking at the service manual it doesn't look too hard. I took the passenger side airbag out of my Mustang in about 10 minutes. Note it's not the airbag itself but the canister of accelerant that inflates it that is replaced.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
I don't think the exception applies to a home call but rather to a dealer out in the boonies of Nebraska that has to bring in a trained GT tech from Omaha :)

From looking at the service manual it doesn't look too hard. I took the passenger side airbag out of my Mustang in about 10 minutes. Note it's not the airbag itself but the canister of accelerant that inflates it that is replaced.

Oh. Yeah, maybe you are correct. It sounded too good to be true. Still, it says "technician travel to VEHICLE location for repair", not to "closest vehicle dealership" for repair.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Does anyone know why pre Feb. 11, 2005 and post Jan. 30, 2006 are not included in the recall? Different supplier used early and late in the production run?

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Does anyone have the recall number for the passenger side inflater replacement?

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Is it 100% that post-Jan 06 cars are exempt? My build date was August 2006, I've not had any recall notice, so hopefully I can relax?

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Mine's built date is Aug 2006, no recall notice to date and OASIS pulled from local Ford dealer on Dec 12, 2014 "no campaign messages found".

Contradictory to say the least, from NHSTA website their advisory dated:
Wednesday, October 22, 2014
Media-only contact: Karen Aldana, 202-366-9550, Public.Affairs@dot.gov
(Note: Corrects vehicle list provided with advisories of Oct. 20-21)

Includes:

Ford: 58,669 total number of potentially affected vehicles
2004 – Ranger
2005 – 2006 GT
2005 – 2007 Mustang

Billy J.

GT Owner
Oct 29, 2014
Thanks guys for the good updated info and the attachments....Very helpful
Bill

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
FORD GT SPECIAL HANDLING
NOTE: Dealers should make every attempt to consolidate repair of the driver and passenger inflator
replacements in one visit.
Dealers are authorized to claim up to a maximum combined value of $200 to provide unique services
to Ford GT owners under Customer Satisfaction Program 14809. Examples of potential services
include:
• Technician travel to vehicle location for repair
• Vehicle transportation (towing/flatbed) to and from dealership
Ford and Lincoln Dealerships are authorized to claim the special handling allowance. Owners will not
be notified of this service in owner mailings.

I think that is 100% proof of Ford's stand-up/class act stance on treating GT owners.

8yrs on and they still are treating you like a VIP client.....seems more like bespoke hypercar cars (eg, Carrera GT, McLaren , Bugatti, etc) and how they handle client relations in service recalls.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Kayvan, thats interesting. I'd love for a tech to come to my house to do this repair. In fact, the local folks have talked about getting together in the spring for just this kind of option. PS Love the profile pic!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Kayvan, thats interesting. I'd love for a tech to come to my house to do this repair. In fact, the local folks have talked about getting together in the spring for just this kind of option. PS Love the profile pic!

I don't read that as they will make a house call, but rather Ford will reimburse a dealer for the expense to have a trained tech come from another location to that dealership should they not have a Ford GT Trained technician in house.

On the other hand, I'd be willing to bet a local dealer will send a guy to someone who has 8 cars all wrapped in plastic in their warehouse :) Maybe even one car if you make a good case of a wrapped in plastic car.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Tony, thats a better read, for sure. Maybe I just had wishful thinking!

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Tony, thats a better read, for sure. Maybe I just had wishful thinking!

You weren't alone. Read just a few posts back.

jbyrnes

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 13, 2006
Louisville CO
So Ford had a GT training program for technicians? Did they get an accreditation that I can inquire about?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
You weren't alone. Read just a few posts back.

Of course, Sioux Falls and Minneapolis are only about a comfortable 1/2 day drive away from each other :) Maybe you could find a dealer in Mankato, who has no FGT tech most likely, that would split the difference :) Send for the guy in a limo.

(I grew up in that area :) )

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
So Ford had a GT training program for technicians? Did they get an accreditation that I can inquire about?

Uh, yep. But you want to ask if they went to school or actually, maybe, worked on one... It's like brain surgery school: Did you pass the simulations or did you actually do something on a real, er, car.

Your best choice is Sil Ter Har.