Dec 13, 2013
Dallas Texas
I have ordered a 4.5

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
i know some guys doing a 4.7. Please make sure you have an aftermarket balancer when doing these larger blowers. or you will have crank snout issues. Its alot of stress on a half moon key way! Let me rephrase that. Its too much stress on the key way .

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
i know some guys doing a 4.7. Please make sure you have an aftermarket balancer when doing these larger blowers. or you will have crank snout issues. Its alot of stress on a half moon key way! Let me rephrase that. Its too much stress on the key way .

Best to add a 2nd keyway, at 180°.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006

100% agree.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California

Which mean you are pulling the motor!

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
yes i didnt state that but meant to. You can not add a second key way unless you pull the crank. I do have a kit to pin an aftermarket balancer which will essentially be the same thing as having the crank cut. There is a mandrel and you have to drill into the crank. I will take pics as i am doing it to a forum members car this weekend in our quest for some more power.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota

yes you are correct.... I have a away todo it with out pulling the motor and will have pics after this weekend

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

Yep!!

Might even want to install a different crank that has been cut for 2 keyways, thus keeping your original. Probably best to broach or mill a new one.

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
yes you are correct.... I have a away todo it with out pulling the motor and will have pics after this weekend

Do you mean those kits that have a guide to drill a hole (not keyway) where you insert a steel rod?

Can't be much clearance to do the job, is there?

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Do you mean those kits that have a guide to drill a hole (not keyway) where you insert a steel rod?

Can't be much clearance to do the job, is there?
Yes a hardened roll pin! Right angle drill should be able todo the job! We shall see tomorrow!!!

Ralphie tue factory cranks are cheap also so yes could buy a spare and cut full key ways as the half moon key ways are not as strong or ment for hard abuse from a big blower....

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
all went good thx Dan. That was the fasted mod we did lol

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
Please update as warranted! Lots of interest in the mac daddy Whipple!

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Your not going to see big benefits from the 4.7 unless you have built motor and upgraded fuel system. The big whipples are more efficient at higher boost then than the smaller ones but their is a limit to how much boost you can use with pump gas. Methanol (or E85) would be the preferred fuel but you will need be able to pump a lot of it. Its nearly double the volume for the same energy as pump gas.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Your not going to see big benefits from the 4.7 unless you have built motor and upgraded fuel system. The big whipples are more efficient at higher boost then than the smaller ones but their is a limit to how much boost you can use with pump gas. Methanol (or E85) would be the preferred fuel but you will need be able to pump a lot of it. Its nearly double the volume for the same energy as pump gas.

:agree:

My Gen1 already pushes the limit of the stock fuel system and readily available 91 octane.

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Some of us are hoping the bigger whipple will take less effort to do the same job as the smaller one. We in Texas hope this equates to less heat generated for the same power. That will allow us to track the car longer in the Texas furnace. Is this stinking thinking or is it possible.

Thugboat

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Some of us are hoping the bigger whipple will take less effort to do the same job as the smaller one. We in Texas hope this equates to less heat generated for the same power. That will allow us to track the car longer in the Texas furnace. Is this stinking thinking or is it possible.

Thugboat

Going bigger would be the wrong direction for a road racing track with heat concerns.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Chevy has been able to get more efficiency out of a smaller unit. 1.7 vs. 2.3. Spun a lot faster. Curious how that translates to heat generation.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Going bigger would be the wrong direction for a road racing track with heat concerns.

I think you're correct in one way because in a track situation you'll be using all the power you can get and more power = more heat. But for a specific power output, the bigger blower would Surely be more efficient and thus generate less heat?

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
I'd still like to see the big Whipple with upgrade fueling, plus e85. I made 850 rwhp on s 3.4 e85 setup. I'd love to see the bigger system going the same route. .