The 200 MPH Dilemma

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
It is simply awesome that the GT is capable of 200 mph right out of the box. However, to tap that potential requires lots of space. For those wishing to become members of the exclusive Doscientos club, there are basically three choices:

1. The Public Option. Involves flagrant speeding on public roads. May result in fiery death, including your own. Also creates significant issues with your local peace officer if he happens to witness your heroic act of bravery. DO NOT ATTEMPT

2. The Closed Public Road Option. This is where an organizer gets permission to close down a deserted stretch of road. He then divides cars into classes based on top speed, or speed they plan to run. Problem is, if you want to go 200, you have to comply with tons of restrictions, often involving a roll cage. Most of us GT guys resist the idea of bolting a roll cage into our GTs. We don't need no stinking roll cages. These events have also been known to break Enzos into pieces. Fiery death is a possibility.

3. The One Mile Option. The organizer rents an airstrip. You pay your entrance fee, wait for awhile, then flog the crap out of your car and come to rotor cracking stop in one mile. Requires more oomph than a stock GT can muster to get to 200 and back in such a short distance.

If none of these appeal to you, but you continue to nurse a desire to honestly say that you have driven your GT past 200, I submit the following daydream. I realize that much of the following has already been discussed in various threads, but I was unable to find a complete and thorough resolution, so here goes.

1. A bunch of GT guys get together and rent a 12,000 foot airstrip for a day. THIS IS A NON PROFIT VENTURE organized exclusively by its participants. Spousal consent or knowledge is optional. It's my daydream so I say it's in a cool season with calm winds.

2. Said bunch of GT guys make the safety rules. Said rules may include a rolling start from the runoff areas, thus meaning that you are going 40-60 mph before the speed run actually starts. Whimpy? Yes! But also easier on the hardware. No stinking roll cages required. Run at your own risk.

3. Get to over 200 on your GPS , then ease off. Obtain written proof of your glorious achievement, a license plate frame that says Club 200 on it, and learn the secret handshake of the brotherhood of speed. Go home without fiery death.

If this sounds appealing, we should organize something. I am a lawyer by profession (not something I admit very often, but for the sake of the brotherhood, I will make an exception). I am confident that we could navigate around the legal and liability issues if it were properly handled. The primary rule would be to observe the KISS principle.

Thoughts?

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Actually - I LIKE IT!

KISS principle is Good! Hope it's nearby..... not adding or making it more complicated but would like to see:
1. Option for the 0 mph start to base it off the other certified track results and other FGT baselines and results, Run A and Run B - AM/ PM?
2. The cost/option of a radar/laser gun and camera at the finish can't be that much to rent to certify all results - it's up to the owners to take it or leave it.....
3. Hope the event is in the MW or center of US and the air is cool.......
4. Sticker or plate gimme- In my state if you have a License Plate that covers the renewal tags or state of issue - Instant $100 ticket (NC means to get out of the budget debt - $100 at a time) - I'll pay for a plate frame but a window sticker is more than I need to brag when you look at the FGT!

BTW - first round of drinks on me :cheers

Thanks Mitty, let's see now - how do we get a 12k runway.....

waldo - cough, cough.......

Last edited:

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
personally I like to dance with the fiery crash senario a little. :biggrin

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Right on target! :thumbsup

Now, I just hope the event is somewhat close to me! :willy

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
personally I like to dance with the fiery crash senario a little. :biggrin

I knew there is a reason why we get along

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
if a laser gun (speed .. :lol) is needed ... I might be able to wrangle one up for a weekend to use.

The star wars weapons stay at home... :biggrin

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
The big airstrip in S.Florida, Dade-Collier Airport, where they do mile runs sounds exactly as described. I know some members here have run it. I have yet to have the chance.

It's apparently very long, wide, flat, cool this time of year. Some groups are already renting the airstrip - milemarker-1.com, topgunrun.com. Perhaps a private rental can be arranged if they are already renting it to these groups.

If so - count me in. Much rather hang run my GT buds than the Corvette or F-car crowd, not that there is anything wrong with most of them.

Last edited:

MDT

GT Owner
Jun 24, 2006
Isn't somebody doing this in the Mohave in the next few months? Know it's more then GT's, but just a thought. The real problem with public roads besides killing someone else is that they take your car if they catch you. That would really suck.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
The big airstrip in S.Florida, Dade-Collier Airport, where they do mile runs sounds exactly as described. I know some members here have run it. I have yet to have the chance.

It's apparently very long, wide, flat, cool this time of year. Some groups are already renting the airstrip - milemarker-1.com, topgunrun.com. Perhaps a private rental can be arranged if they are already renting it to these groups.

If so - count me in. Much rather hang run my GT buds than the Corvette or F-car crowd, not that there is anything wrong with most of them.

I second this suggestion! Not too far from Heffner in Sarasota either, for those that want last minute tunes or double hair dryers. I'm tired of the one mile limitations and really want to run this track.

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
Great idea!

I once co-chaired an open road race on Texas HWYs. I'll never sign up for that job again. Event required DOT approval and it got done and run. :cheers

Being an attorney, you know the liability issue and solution. Skin that cat, and with a few volunteers, the rest is easy.

Subject to your game plan, I know a few Texas GTs that might play.

Drop me a PM and I'll tell you all my mistakes.

Good luck.

FLY GT40

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2006
So. Ca.
Isn't somebody doing this in the Mohave in the next few months? Know it's more then GT's, but just a thought. The real problem with public roads besides killing someone else is that they take your car if they catch you. That would really suck.

The Mojave Mile on March 6

It has a ton of restrictions rules and speed limits based on safety eq(role cage,fire suit,helmet,) and drivers experience. or speed limit 190 or less.:confused:frown

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Maybe DBK will have something special setup for us owners at Rally V. :cheers

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
The need for speed.

Gentlemen,

This would ideally be done in midwinter near, at, or below sea level as this would provide the coolest, densest, and the driest air. Aircraft runways are ideal for this sort of thing because they are always free of obstacles on both sides. A blown tire at 200 mph will send your car off course no matter how skilled the driver. Speed doesn't kill, but the rapid deceleration that results from impacting an obstacle does. If you are able to put together such an event I believe you'll have a fantastic turn out. I will see you there as well.

Chip

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
anybody ever thought of contacting a proving grounds to see about usage/rental of:

I can imagine they would want some form of insurance but a quick corporate structure could be tossed into place and that be used to bind coverage to the event ...

just rambling a few thoughts ...

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
They are offering this already in desert east of San Diego. I saw it online or on TV, I will dig it up. Some 200 mph club.

I got to 118 in 3rd gear on Saturday. My brother shit his pants so I backed her down. God these cars are powerful in 2nd and 3rd.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
You must have read my post !! :biggrin
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17028&highlight=rALLY+MIAMI

High Speed Event Day :

Well the Texas mile was a Hoot !! I am happy to say I got to run there !! And if you had as much fun as I did maybe you would like to do a similar type of event at Rally 5. I got to speak with many drivers at the Texas mile and they were all very happy to run the event. For many guys that was the fastest they had ever driven their GT's. I also know that there are many guys that still have the quest to drive their GT's to it's 200 MPH capability.

There is a 10 500 ft Airstrip that is available for rent. This facility just started to be used this year. There is a car group, I think it is World class Driving that uses this place for there 200 MPH exotic car experience. It went to an event there this year that was run in a different format than the Texas Mile.

I would recommend the following format for our GT rally:

1) Recording speeds via GPS units i.e., Garmin nav systems or V boxes / Drift boxes etc.. We would have this place all to ourselves and by using the GPS devices we would not need elaborate scoring and timing equipment.

a) The speed sensing device can be placed directly in front of the driver in his line of site, This way he can watch his speed without looking over at the speedo. FYI the Stock speedo is off by 5 to 6 MPH at 200 . It reads high. GPS reading would be more accurate.

2) Rolling starts: You would not start your high speed run from a dead stop. At this facility you can drive down the parallel taxi way make a big 180* You can hit the main 2 mile air strip with a 50 to 60 mph head start.

a) Rolling starts will take away some of the jitters and the ills of a possible muffed launch. Your clutch may thank you for this

b) The extra speed should help a stock GT reach it's max speed and be able to slow down in a safe distance before you run out of runway. But note even in the two mile distance it will be close for a stock GT to reach 200 MPH and have enough room to stop safely . At the event I attended most of the GT's that were there were pulley and tune or Whipple powered and all ran over 200 MPH.

3) I know Dave will cringe when I write this but I will bring it up anyway. I would recommend this be done at the end of the day when everyone has had there fill of high speed runs. At the event I attended guys were allowed to line up and race their buddies. This could be done safely if we followed the following format.

a) Only two cars at a time. This airstrip is very wide and two cars can run safely with a very wide gap between the two cars.

b) No racing from a dead stop. I would start the cars and have them do roll on races from 1st gear.( approx 15 - 20 mph.) We had a rolling start zone of about 50 yards . One car sets the pace the other car matches the pace and when you hit the start line you hit it. Rolling starts are easy on the tires clutches and reduce the likely hood of someone getting out of shape trying to do a hard launch. The cars could safely race 1/2, 3/4 or 1 mile.

c) If Dave felt this was to big of a risk maybe we could do this after the airstrip runs as an unofficial activity.

4) This airstrip is west of Downtown Miami . I am guessing would be less than an hours drive from downtown Miami. You would travel to the airstrip via major roads and it is very easy to find.

It is simply awesome that the GT is capable of 200 mph right out of the box. However, to tap that potential requires lots of space. For those wishing to become members of the exclusive Doscientos club, there are basically three choices:

1. The Public Option. Involves flagrant speeding on public roads. May result in fiery death, including your own. Also creates significant issues with your local peace officer if he happens to witness your heroic act of bravery. DO NOT ATTEMPT

2. The Closed Public Road Option. This is where an organizer gets permission to close down a deserted stretch of road. He then divides cars into classes based on top speed, or speed they plan to run. Problem is, if you want to go 200, you have to comply with tons of restrictions, often involving a roll cage. Most of us GT guys resist the idea of bolting a roll cage into our GTs. We don't need no stinking roll cages. These events have also been known to break Enzos into pieces. Fiery death is a possibility.

3. The One Mile Option. The organizer rents an airstrip. You pay your entrance fee, wait for awhile, then flog the crap out of your car and come to rotor cracking stop in one mile. Requires more oomph than a stock GT can muster to get to 200 and back in such a short distance.

If none of these appeal to you, but you continue to nurse a desire to honestly say that you have driven your GT past 200, I submit the following daydream. I realize that much of the following has already been discussed in various threads, but I was unable to find a complete and thorough resolution, so here goes.

1. A bunch of GT guys get together and rent a 12,000 foot airstrip for a day. THIS IS A NON PROFIT VENTURE organized exclusively by its participants. Spousal consent or knowledge is optional. It's my daydream so I say it's in a cool season with calm winds.

2. Said bunch of GT guys make the safety rules. Said rules may include a rolling start from the runoff areas, thus meaning that you are going 40-60 mph before the speed run actually starts. Whimpy? Yes! But also easier on the hardware. No stinking roll cages required. Run at your own risk.

3. Get to over 200 on your GPS , then ease off. Obtain written proof of your glorious achievement, a license plate frame that says Club 200 on it, and learn the secret handshake of the brotherhood of speed. Go home without fiery death.

If this sounds appealing, we should organize something. I am a lawyer by profession (not something I admit very often, but for the sake of the brotherhood, I will make an exception). I am confident that we could navigate around the legal and liability issues if it were properly handled. The primary rule would be to observe the KISS principle.

Thoughts?

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Interesting suggestions! (Other than the dance with the fiery crash scenario).

Steve how fast can your GT go with the machine gun mount on the roof?:cheers

Kevin

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Steve how fast can your GT go with the machine gun mount on the roof?:cheers

Kevin

It depends on rate of fire and which way the muzzle is pointing. :lol

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005

Wowzer, it is amazing how two great minds can come up with such similar and yet brilliant ideas independently:wink

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Great idea! Please set one up in California, please.....

Ed