Z06 does it really have a chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FordGTGuy

Aug 1, 2005
Norfolk, VA
given that the Z06 is lighter what about the fact that it has less power then the Ford GT and isn't mid engined? Why is it vette fanboys not bring this up, they only bring up price :frown. to say this car is going to be an easy beat for the Z06 is straight :bs.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
The short answer from me is that I think the Z06 will beat the GT in a number of performance categories. Very light, derived from the C6R, n/a for the road course. It's a beast, regardless of the price. I believe the first actual deliveries are taking place today, or within the past 24 hours. But it's a hopped up Corvette. That's not detracting from what a sweet car it is, but you can't include it with the GT, F430, Gallardo, because it comes with the quality of a hopped up 45k Corvette...

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Until there is a comparison test done by a magzine comparisons are meaningless. You need the cars same day, say driver, etc. to make sense of what is happening.

So those that think the C6 Z06 is faster fine. Those that think the Ford GT is faster fine.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
barondw said:
Until there is a comparison test done by a magzine comparisons are meaningless. You need the cars same day, say driver, etc. to make sense of what is happening.

Even on the same day most magazine comparisons are meaningless. :lol

Svt03Cobra

GT Owner
Aug 14, 2005
? TN
All I have to say is......FORD > GM

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
DBK said:
Even on the same day most magazine comparisons are meaningless. :lol

Bingo.

FordGTGuy

Aug 1, 2005
Norfolk, VA
DBK said:
The short answer from me is that I think the Z06 will beat the GT in a number of performance categories. Very light,

only the blue devil version is mythed to be very light not the Z06, and the Z06 is tuned for Nurburg so wouldn't it only be fair to allow a setup like this on a Ford GT before passing judgement on its road corse skills? :thumbsup

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
FordGTGuy said:
only the blue devil version is mythed to be very light not the Z06, and the Z06 is tuned for Nurburg so wouldn't it only be fair to allow a setup like this on a Ford GT before passing judgement on its road corse skills? :thumbsup

I believe that the C6 Z06 is going to be as quick if not quicker than the Ford GT in just about every category. This is based on talking to testers who have already driven both cars.

Remember the fastest times for a "stock" GT are about 11.5 for a quarter mile. BTW that is very fast for street car. Anything less was done with a specially prepared car on a specially prepared drag strip.

If I am right and the C6 Z06 is quicker so what, it doesn't take away from the GT. They are two different type cars.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
FordGTGuy said:

The regular Z06 is already significantly lighter than a Ford GT. Roughly 300 pounds, which at 10% of total weight, is a significant difference. The Z06 ran the ring in stock configuration (I've heard they may have changed camber a bit, but that's near irrelevant). I would assume a car that could crack 7:42, which is the same as a 911 GT3 on cup tires, isn't going to be an easy act to follow.

There's a dyno sheet of a real C6 Z floating around that made 450+ rwhp stopping well short of redline. Put together those power to weight ratios and it'll be a close contest, performance wise.

satx

Aug 25, 2005
Dana Point
the Z06 will need more like 500rwhp to beat a GT in straight line performance, even with the weight advantage.

FordGTGuy

Aug 1, 2005
Norfolk, VA
DBK said:
The regular Z06 is already significantly lighter than a Ford GT. Roughly 300 pounds, which at 10% of total weight, is a significant difference. The Z06 ran the ring in stock configuration (I've heard they may have changed camber a bit, but that's near irrelevant). I would assume a car that could crack 7:42, which is the same as a 911 GT3 on cup tires, isn't going to be an easy act to follow.

There's a dyno sheet of a real C6 Z floating around that made 450+ rwhp stopping well short of redline. Put together those power to weight ratios and it'll be a close contest, performance wise.

The C6 Z06 was totally configured for Nurburg.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
FordGTGuy said:
The C6 Z06 was totally configured for Nurburg.

Jan Magnussen, the test driver and #64 C6R driver disagrees. :biggrin

On the notorious C6 Z flying through the air photo:

"The photo is taken at Flugplatz. I´m going 240-250 km/h at full throttle in 4th gear and the car is actually jumping twice: After the first jump it lands so hard that it takes off again, as you can see in the second picture. As it lands the second time I have to take a sharp right immediately after.
The car is a standard car with street setup - had it been my racer it would hardly have left the tarmac. At NBR the street car reaches 295 km/h on the long straight in 5th gear (6th gear is an overgear for saving gasoline). At NBR there are no run-off areas like other tracks,. You simply have to stay on the track. When you are halfway around the 20 km, you think it´s a good thing there are only half as many places left you risk running off the track" Jan says.

"The street Corvette has virtually no grip compared to my race car which has a large rear spoiler. But it does have almost as many BHPs as my Le Mans racer and is almost as fast. The rev limiter sets in at 7000 rpms, and it does have more than 500 BHPs. It´s fast."

Also, Dave Hill has repeatedly told gatherings that simply suspension adjustments made be made by the driver to the stock suspension. He said the Ring car was a totally stock car, so if anything was changed, that would have been it.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
DBK said:

On the notorious C6 Z flying through the air photo:

"The photo is taken at Flugplatz. I´m going 240-250 km/h at full throttle in 4th gear and the car is actually jumping twice: After the first jump it lands so hard that it takes off again, as you can see in the second picture. As it lands the second time I have to take a sharp right immediately after.
The car is a standard car with street setup - had it been my racer it would hardly have left the tarmac. At NBR the street car reaches 295 km/h on the long straight in 5th gear (6th gear is an overgear for saving gasoline). At NBR there are no run-off areas like other tracks,. You simply have to stay on the track. When you are halfway around the 20 km, you think it´s a good thing there are only half as many places left you risk running off the track" Jan says.

"The street Corvette has virtually no grip compared to my race car which has a large rear spoiler. But it does have almost as many BHPs as my Le Mans racer and is almost as fast. The rev limiter sets in at 7000 rpms, and it does have more than 500 BHPs. It´s fast."

Also, Dave Hill has repeatedly told gatherings that simply suspension adjustments made be made by the driver to the stock suspension. He said the Ring car was a totally stock car, so if anything was changed, that would have been it.

I agree except that the tires may have been changed, which is not that major a modification.

FordGTGuy

Aug 1, 2005
Norfolk, VA
DBK said:

:bs

the video of the creation of the car says that the whole street setup was created on the Nurburg.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
FordGTGuy said:
:bs

the video of the creation of the car says that the whole street setup was created on the Nurburg.

If you're saying the car was created with large racetracks in mind, it certainly was. Being prepared to run the car at the ring or any other significant track should be how the car comes from the factory. My point is that the Z as is on the a dealer lot will be 99.9% the same way it was on the 7:42 run.

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
Saw my first C6Z on the highway today. Black car...unfortuneately I was in the CR-V with my wife (probably wouldn't have raced me otherwise).

FordGTGuy

Aug 1, 2005
Norfolk, VA
DBK said:
If you're saying the car was created with large racetracks in mind, it certainly was. Being prepared to run the car at the ring or any other significant track should be how the car comes from the factory. My point is that the Z as is on the a dealer lot will be 99.9% the same way it was on the 7:42 run.

eactly and does the Ford GT have a track setup compared to the Z06's? But even w/o it its predicted to run just as fast on Nurburg. I would love to see some setups on these Ford GTs.

fordification

Aug 9, 2005
it's clearly apparent that GM has put all efforts into building the best corvette ever. much of the c6r development went into the Z. and with the use of cf fenders, magnesium roof, and titanium pistons, they spared no expense, and most likely will not profit from a measely 65k price tag. I wouldn't be surprised if it was quicker then the GT. They've had 50 years of production + racing development. GT had 6 months. But with that said, I'd still take the GT any day and twice on sundays.

fordification

Aug 9, 2005
the target was the 360 modena. and it's far past it's expectations. kudos to GM for holding out till Ford unveiled the GT to set the benchmark.

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
fordification said:
kudos to GM for holding out till Ford unveiled the GT to set the benchmark.

Welcome to most of their history...

Status
Not open for further replies.