WTB Motorcycle

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Looking to buy a bike with a sidecar. It looks like my most likely candidate is the Ural but I’m open to suggestions. I figured someone here might have one for sale or know someone who does.

Cheers
MM

Last edited:

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
I have looked at them; even have a bud that owns one.

His is 2 wheel drive and is a ringer for the military version.

It is amazing how well they reproduced the original?

Even has the mount to hang a machine gun on the side car!

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I've never driven a sidecar bike. Any thoughts on the driving experience?

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
Not enough to give an opinion,

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Mark

If you do a search there are probably lots of Harley's available for sale that people have added sidecars to as there are sidecar companies out there

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I've never driven a sidecar bike. Any thoughts on the driving experience?

In short, it stinks-nothing like riding a motorcycle. You must steer much like a car and they pull like crazy. Unless someone has a disability, I would never recommend one. In the case of a disabled rider, I would recommend a trike over a hack. Harley even abandoned them-they now sell a trike. On the positive side, they look cool and its fun to get the sidecar passenger airborne during fast right hand turns. The Urals can be purchased with 2 (rear) wheel drive-perfect if you are storming the beaches of Normandy.

Last edited:

rdjmp

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2011
DFW Texas
Call Perry Bushong over in Fort Worth. He is THE sidecar guy. 817-877-5900

http://www.perrysmotorcycles.com/

I can hook you up with other info and references if Perry doesn't fix you up. Perry will teach you how to drive (not "ride") one and show you some different model pros and cons whether you buy there or not.

Since you have a GT you will already be used to the crowd everywhere you stop.

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
I have guided a side car for several thousand miles so i can honestly give you my 2 cents worth.

Sinovac pretty much hit the nail on the head. I enjoyed it when i had it but you probably wont like it for very long.
They are extreamly hard on the motorcycle its hooked to. The first thing that loosens up are the neck bearings, then the forks and swing arm bearings then you will noitice that your back tire is bald after about 2 thousand miles, then you will need to replace the brake shoes, Then your handle bars will need to be tightened up for the third time, ect ect
I had an FLHTP Police issue Harley Davidson with the matching Police issue side hack and i had tons of fun with it.
On one trip to Sturgis i took the interior of the side car out and completly filled it with Beer and ice. No kidding it was so full when i left home ice was falling over the sides.
In 700 miles i had to replace the back tire when i got to the rally,{not because i was doing burnouts} It was a blast.

If you ride it in a conservative responsible manner it will not be as maintence heavy as mine was.
Remember not to park it where you have to push it backwards out of a parking stall unless your bike has reverse.
Harley actually offered a reverse kit that was nothing more then an electric motor hooked to the side car wheel. it weighed a ton and looked like hell.
Long story short, Glad i had it, wont do it again.

Last edited: