Wixom Assembly Plant soon to be no more

Mark McGowan

Ford GT Team Alumni
Jul 31, 2006
Went by the old GT final assembly building yesterday in Wixom Michigan and took a few photo’s. For everyone information the Wixom Assembly complex is being torn down (most of the main plant is gone) and it looks like the GT assembly building will be next. Spent a lot of time there, not as much as Rich but was a great time.

Attachments

• wixom3.jpg
    wixom3.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 1,231
  • Wixom1.jpg
    Wixom1.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 1,128
  • Wixom2.jpg
    Wixom2.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 1,302

debtdrives

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 20, 2007
Oakland, Michigan 48363
Whatever happened to the yellow GT that was on the roof? Keith

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Whatever happened to the yellow GT that was on the roof? Keith

Hanging on the wall at SVT.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
That is where the beautiful Lincolns of the late fifties and sixties were made. All good things must come to an end. My son and I were there in 2006 and were graciously given a tour by the gentleman in the picture. Unfortunately, I don't recall his name.

DSC_0451.jpg

DSC_0482.jpg

DSC_0485.jpg

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Truly a sad day, Mark.
Thanks for posting pictures for those new to our family.

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
My grandson sent me pictures a few weeks ago. Won't miss the main plant too much (still sore from that building). I will miss the GT building. I spent many days and hours there. As much fun as it was building the GTs, my favorite memories are the time I spend with guys like :bow Mark, Chris, John, Scott,(both of them) Mike, and countless others. Many of the hours were spent off the clock. For me, hanging around and helping them was magic. Their combined knowledge could not be measured. As a mechanic, and fix it guy, I always considered myself as pretty knowledgeable. I was dirt compared to these guys.

:bow:bow Mark, I still have my Ford ID. Next time your out this way, or I get back there, I'm available for some ride time in your latest project.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Won't miss the main plant too much (still sore from that building).

When I was there they only had one assembly line operating building Town Cars. The other line built the LS and had been shut down some years before. I bet Ford wishes they had continued the RWD LS. What a nice car. As I recall, the administrative offices were straight out of the late '50s. Everyone there was extremely nice.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Some more pictures from the Wixom GT assembly building for those that have not seen them:

DSC_0454.jpg

DSC_0452.jpg

DSC_0471.jpg

DSC_0464.jpg

My son is just shy of 18 and now realizes how cool it was to have visited the GT assembly plants in Troy and Wixom. I hope when I am dead and buried he recalls the visit fondly. He probably will enjoy restoring our (then) worn out GT less.

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
Sin,

When I hired into Wixom, in 77, there were 7000 people, on 3 shifts, building 32 cars per hour. When I went out to the GT building in 2004, the main plant was building 63 cars an hour with 700 people. The jobs were set up by the second. In order for a person to keep their job out of the hole, they had to be actually doing their part of the build for 56 seconds of every minute. (thus the aches and pains now LOL)

On the GTs, each team had to build 1.10 cars a day. Because there was so many operations to do on the GT, you had to work steady, but you never had to rush. That's why the quality was so high on the GT. To get on the GT program was a very special accomplishment. I don't recall anybody on the program, at least on my level, who went on the program for a easier job.

The office portion of the main plant had been pretty much unused for many years, but in the 70's it was full of people. I worked with a guy for a while that came to the Wixom plant when it opened in 1958. He was still there when I went on the GT build. He had come from the original Lincoln plant in Highland Park. Talk about seniority. (or lack of a real life)

Glad you and your son enjoyed your visit. Both my sons were in the GT building, and got a few rides in the shop car. (they can't fire me now, so I can say that my oldest boy had some left seat time in the shop GT) I know they too will remember their experience for many years.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I love these historical plant threads. I , too, have visited a bunch of car and tire plants (when I was a tire lawyer) . It is pure Americana .

I grew up with my dads 57 T Bird which I think was built in Dearborn. 58 and a few years after were at Wixom.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
GT Tech, thanks for sharing that story. Having FGT team members post on this site make it a special place.

Terry, I also love the feel and smell of those old factories. I always imagine them humming along at full capacity back when the industrial might of the United States was unparalleled anywhere in the world. I'm sure my romantic view of those old factories is due in no small part to the fact that I didn't earn a living working in them and sweating my butt off like GT Tech. Nevertheless, you hit the nail on the head, pure Americana.

Since we are getting sentimental, here are additional pictures from the GT assembly building:

DSC_0455.jpg

DSC_0456.jpg

DSC_0457.jpg

DSC_0458.jpg

DSC_0459.jpg

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
DSC_0460.jpg

DSC_0461.jpg

DSC_0462.jpg

DSC_0463.jpg

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
DSC_0465.jpg

DSC_0466.jpg

Note the Canadian bumper spacer on the yellow car

DSC_0467.jpg

DSC_0468.jpg

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Great pictures Sinovac! Brings back great memories of R1.

And now the only similar comparison to the visual impact of this many GT's in one gathering is our annual Rallies!

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
I know I've said it a hundred times, but looking at those images of GTs lined up like soldiers make me amazed the car was ever made. You have to give Ford a ton of credit for producing such a world beating, iconic car at a time when other brands were just plain going away. Now, nearly 10 years after the first ones rolled off the line, the car is as timeless and graceful a design as ever produced, not to mention produced in significant numbers. Furthermore, the car was absolutley killer in performance and realistically, underpriced for what it offered. I know I'm biased, but no one ever tires of looking at the GT.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Well said.

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
Yes, well said.

Thanks for the pics Sin. I've seen almost every picture on my DVDs, but it's nice to see others. Brings back good memories.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
That reminds me, I haven't seen a team yearbook for sale recently. I wonder how much those gems are worth now.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Sure glad I went to rally 1.

Great thread.

Button

Jul 11, 2009
Iowa
I love the Wixom plant pictures. It really was a once-in-a-lifetime moment for the FoMoCo.