wind noise

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
I took my 2006 out yesterday, and was surprised to hear more wind noise than I had thought I had previously heard. The door ajar light works and was out but checked to make sure it worked by opening and closing the doors and hatch and hood, leaving each one ajar and sure enough the light came on. Strange thing is the the wind noise was even there at low speeds. The car has not been driven in about three months, is there any experience out there about the cars, now that they are older developing wind noise when driving? OR has it always been there and I was just not aware of it because I turned the radio up loud all of the time?

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I have been trying, for years, to isolate and locate the specific location of wind noise on the driver side door, right by my ear. To no avail. Also, the little triangular vent window on driver side will occasionally vibrate, and the slightest finger pressure on the rear top two thirds of that window stops that vibration.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You might look at the unlock button on the outside of the door. When it is hot outside you can feel the AC leaking cold air there.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
I have been trying, for years, to isolate and locate the specific location of wind noise on the driver side door, right by my ear. To no avail. Also, the little triangular vent window on driver side will occasionally vibrate, and the slightest finger pressure on the rear top two thirds of that window stops that vibration.
real first world problem(s)...

Reactions: PeteK

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I’ve noticed more wind noise over the years too, particularly when I haven’t driven it in a few months. I think that some of it was always there, and to some extent seals compress and distort over the years, causing more noise. I’ve played around with pressing my fingers against seals along the inside of the door, but without much effect. Next I might try putting some blue tape around the outside amd inside window seals and other joints.

Lately I’ve been thinking of going with an ANR headset—like a Bose A20 pilots headset. Then it can Bluetooth to my phone and be totally independent of the car radio.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Your exhaust system isn't loud enough if you're concerned about wind noise.
Just saying...............!
Best,
Mark

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Anybody treat the rubber seals to soften them up and possibly create a better seal?

I am with Mark.

Attachments

• 5DA103FB-8C3C-4A4F-B224-48F45672FA63.jpeg
    5DA103FB-8C3C-4A4F-B224-48F45672FA63.jpeg
    30.5 KB · Views: 8

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Anybody treat the rubber seals to soften them up and possibly create a better seal?

I am with Mark.
I silicone spray all of them twice a year. A bit of wind noise that comes from the top of the windshield. Very minor, as I have decreased hearing capability...i.e. old age issue..both the car and the driver. 😀

Reactions: GTinTN

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
well sounds like it is a common problem as the cars get older thank you

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Lately I’ve been thinking of going with an ANR headset—like a Bose A20 pilots headset. Then it can Bluetooth to my phone and be totally independent of the car radio.
And you won't be able to hear emergency vehicles. That's why wearing headsets while driving is illegal in most states.

Aerospace Protectant 303 works very well on rubber seals. It's what the military uses.

Last edited:
Reactions: sr71

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Your exhaust system isn't loud enough if you're concerned about wind noise.
Just saying...............!
Best,
Mark
Yah, I hear you Mark (bad pun intended). But 500 miles into an 800-mile day, it adds to the fatigue factor. Not that my increasing age has anything to do with it…

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
And you won't be able to hear emergency vehicles. That's why wearing headsets while driving is illegal in most states.

Aerospace Protectant 303 works very well on rubber seals. It's what the military uses.
I use it on door seals, clamshell seals, and it leaves a nice satin finish on all the hoses. Not greasy and doesn't collect dust.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
The guy I bought my red '05 from said he used WD40 on all the rubber parts. It seems to have worked as they all look brand new, but then it had 207 miles on it and was kept inside. Anybody know any reasons against WD40? (besides the odor)

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Another 303 user here. On everything, even tires (I hate "tire shine")

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
The guy I bought my red '05 from said he used WD40 on all the rubber parts. It seems to have worked as they all look brand new, but then it had 207 miles on it and was kept inside. Anybody know any reasons against WD40? (besides the odor)

WD40 is made of petroleum products. Petroleum products soak into and deteriorate most rubber products. I would assume the door seals are a rubber product. Meguiars No. 40 works great on rubber, vinyl and plastic products. Great to detail everything on the interior except leather. I have not used 303, but Mequiars No. 40 seems to have the same properties as the 303 marketing info.

Last edited:

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
FWIW, Ford also sells a Ford or Motorcraft brand product for protecting rubber parts.

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
As a thought, you may want to check the little seam between the top and bottom of the door that splits the window and the little wing window. Some can delaminate a bit and can pull away causing a gap making wind noise.

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
so evidently not uncommon?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I dont think I drove the 05 once in 2021 with the windows up, so Im zero help.