Will Viper Wheels Fit GT?

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
A local source is advertising Viper wheels and tires at what seems to be an attractive price. 18" front and 19" rear. Will these fit the GT?

Thanks

1434gt

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2006
i dont think so,5 lug vs 6 lug

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
No. Vipers are a 6 lug and GTs are a 5 lug.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Just gives you the idea of what our engineers know today. Bill, can you still count? Retirement is a bad thing. Think of the chambers in a revolver.

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Thanks guys for the answer.

I guess it is a definite no!

Frank, I didn't see the wheels. I think if I had, I might have figured it out for myself. Yes, I have both 5 and 6 chamber cylinders for revolvers, and even I know they are not interchangeable.

Regarding the Viper wheels " at an attracive price ", I guess I should know by now that anything that sounds too good to be true just ain't gonna work out.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
If you need a spare set of wheels for track tires, the standard FGT wheels (not the optional light weight wheels) can be found at a reasonable price. They are about 1.5 lbs heavier than the optional wheels (each). If you look around you can probably get a complete set for under $1500.

Chip

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Thanks guys for the answer.

I guess it is a definite no!

Frank, I didn't see the wheels. I think if I had, I might have figured it out for myself. Yes, I have both 5 and 6 chamber cylinders for revolvers, and even I know they are not interchangeable.

Regarding the Viper wheels " at an attracive price ", I guess I should know by now that anything that sounds too good to be true just ain't gonna work out.

7 and 8 shot revolers exist as well.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
If you need a spare set of wheels for track tires, the standard FGT wheels (not the optional light weight wheels) can be found at a reasonable price. They are about 1.5 lbs heavier than the optional wheels (each). If you look around you can probably get a complete set for under $1500.

Chip

Bear in mind that the standard FGT wheels are cast.

The optional wheels are forged, so that one would expect them to be stronger when running on the track.

Not sure how the many aftermarket wheels are made, but, for equivalent or slightly higher prices, I would pick forged wheels. Just MHO

PS - However, I haven't heard of anyone having trouble with the cast wheels on the track

Last edited:

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Ice,

I think my .22 revolver is 9 chambers, and I saw an ad today for one with 10. I guess people are always looking to go one better.

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta

Chip

Actually, if the forum is accurate (and I've no doubt it is), it's closer to 8 lbs lighter for EACH front wheel and 9 lbs lighter for EACH back wheel for the factory forged vs the factory cast wheels. I was thrilled with the lightness of my Dymags, which are pretty feather light, but truly stunned when I took off the forged BBS's as they're about the lightest factory wheel I've ever seen.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...ot-standard-wheels&p=3771&viewfull=1#post3771