Wierd Dust Queston

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Since it was so rainy at VIR last week, I needed an FGT track fix and drove about 125 miles on my home track - Nelson Ledges today. The FGT ran great!!! I gave rides to corner workers who have worked tirelessly all season and had fun. However, I noticed a black dust on my rear bumper and facia that I never have seen before. I also noticed that out of turn 13, a slow right-hander that leads to the front straight (and therefore is a pedal-to-the-metal corner exit) that the rear end "chattered", kind of like traction control was kicking in. Note that it was not loss of mechanical tire grip, as I typically rotate the car/tires on that exit. I assumed that the chatter was the differential - limited slip. With the black dust I am wondering if my clutch isn't up to the task of the sticky Hoosiers on a race course. Any thoughts and ideas? I attached a photo of the dust with my fingers running through for contast.

Attachments

• FGT Dust.jpg
    FGT Dust.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 276

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
I get that on mine. I'd say it is a combination of exhaust and tire dust

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
I have noticed the same after track sessions! Think Mullet is correct!

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
If your clutch were giving out, you'd definitely smell it first. You may have just dislodged some accumulated dust in the clutch housing. I recommend several more track excursions to research the issue further.

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ

+1

However, it might be the pollution Toledo produces. Lol.

Another reason why black is the best!

I believe this never happens to GT's that are permanently parked in the garage either.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I believe this never happens to GT's that are permanently parked in the garage either.

Are you refering to EP?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Tim,

I think that is tire dust - from your Hoosier's and perhaps some rubber already on the track.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I think all of us get that, and it's the same with other cars too.... a combination of tire dust, particulates from the exhaust (sticking by static), road dust, brake dust, moon dust, angel dust etc

H

HHGT

While Kendall was changing my oil last weekend, he showed me some normal clutch dust that weeps out from where the transaxle and the engine come together. I would imagine Tim that if you wanted to make sure it was not clutch dust, you could remove the diffuser pan and do a visual inspection to determine the amount of clutch dust deposits and put your mind at ease.

Cheers!

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I'll pull the pan and take a peek. Good idea.

Mase

GT Owner
Dec 23, 2006
Jacksonville, Florida
Tim,

I dont think that is clutch dust. Exhaust/Tires for sure.

FLY GT40

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2006
So. Ca.
Since it was so rainy at VIR last week, I needed an FGT track fix and drove about 125 miles on my home track - Nelson Ledges today. The FGT ran great!!! I gave rides to corner workers who have worked tirelessly all season and had fun. However, I noticed a black dust on my rear bumper and facia that I never have seen before. I also noticed that out of turn 13, a slow right-hander that leads to the front straight (and therefore is a pedal-to-the-metal corner exit) that the rear end "chattered", kind of like traction control was kicking in. Note that it was not loss of mechanical tire grip, as I typically rotate the car/tires on that exit. I assumed that the chatter was the differential - limited slip. With the black dust I am wondering if my clutch isn't up to the task of the sticky Hoosiers on a race course. Any thoughts and ideas? I attached a photo of the dust with my fingers running through for contast.

Tim
Diagnosis: Fun dust
Definition: Dust accumulation from exhaust, tires,track or road dust in the wake of car after going out for a spirited run. Kind of like sweat after a good work out. Good job keep it up.:cheers

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Just looks like you have been enjoying the car.

Team Jeff

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2007
Tim, I've experienced the same sort of "dust" - often times some of it is stuck on the paint & I end up using cleaner wax or bug & tar remover to clean it all off. Glad your enjoying the fastest of all the colors. ;)

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Tim, I've experienced the same sort of "dust" - often times some of it is stuck on the paint & I end up using cleaner wax or bug & tar remover to clean it all off. Glad your enjoying the fastest of all the colors. ;)

I agree, I just haven't tracked it enough to know. It is running a bit richer with different timing than the stock tune, which also changes things. I was getting 4 MPG on the track. Three fill-ups during the day!