wich tire on a wet track day ?

willem

Ford GTX-1 Owner
Mar 22, 2009
The Netherlands
I ordered a set of hoosier R6 today,but what tires do I use on a rainy day on the track?? the OEM GY??? thanks in advance Willem

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Hoosier Radial Wet?

I have no experience with wet track tires.

willem

Ford GTX-1 Owner
Mar 22, 2009
The Netherlands
there are no 19 inch in radial wet

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
I ordered a set of hoosier R6 today,but what tires do I use on a rainy day on the track?? the OEM GY??? thanks in advance Willem

stick with the stock Goodyears--it's a pretty good wet tire.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
personally i would never track my GT in the wet. it's not worth taking the risk of a wreck imo....

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
personally i would never track my GT in the wet. it's not worth taking the risk of a wreck imo....

+1

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
The best track tires for the Ford GT in the rain are the ones on your tow vehicle. Load your GT back into it's trailer, and leave the track. Flogging a GT in the wet may make sense if you have travalled 2000+ miles to get to a track you will probably never visit again so you can say you drove it, but as a general rule you would be better off skipping it. Unlike the modern Mustang with it's amazing electronic stability and traction control, the GT is nanny free save for antilock brakes. If you biff it however, the Ford GT does offer $3800 headlights, $9000 fenders, a $28,000 clamshell, and $45,000 subframes for quick easy repairs!

Stick with the trailer tires in the wet.

Chip

Reactions: DRIVEBY

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Chip you always have a eloquent way with words.

DRIVEBY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 17, 2006
Las Vegas
The best track tires for the Ford GT in the rain are the ones on your tow vehicle.

Couldn't have been said better - I've tried the the GT in the wet and it will bite you!:ack

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Couldn't have been said better - I've tried the the GT in the wet and it will bite you!:ack

+2!

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
The stock Goodyears performed well for me at VIR. I just drove very carefully in the very wet conditions. I had an instructor and signed up for the Novice group.( The goodyears were better for cornering than for power application.) I was not about to leave my car in the trailer after the ride down from Detroit and take it back clean without getting on the track. I had a great time and learned a lot of new driving skills.
Sorry for the contrary view..Just be careful.
ajb (andy)

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale

There is a company that cuts rain grooves in the R6's . Do a search and you may find some old posts

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I have been very happy with the Bridgestones in the wet. They worked well for me at VIR, and we got plenty wet driving there from St. Louis.