Why It's Going To Be Damn Hard To Buy A New Ford GT

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
New Ford GT on Car Buzz
Nothing really new or what we already don't know.

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2015/4/1/Why-It-s-Going-To-Be-Damn-Hard-To-Buy-A-New-Ford-GT-7726213/

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
It will be interesting to see how Ford allocates these cars. I think you will see some big dealers "howling" about not getting even one car. It's like handing someone a winning lottery ticket (on a smaller scale).

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
What ever Ford does I hope that they make it impossible for dealer to charge a 200-400k mark up to those willing to pay that to be first in line (I hope that there is no chance of a first line) and I hope it gives all the potential buyers a chance at being in a lottery..

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Their concern is not over which of us gets the few cars but which dealers. Ford doesn't sell cars to individuals (and Tesla is going through a lot of issues trying to do so), they sell to dealers. Dealers sell to us. You can be sure the dealer that Jay Lenno buys his cars from will get two. Once a dealer in your are gets one, duke it out with all the others who want his. Ford may try to block ADMs but with most dealers only getting one, what are they going to do? Tell them they can't have another (next year)? It's gonna be interesting.

If I were a dealer and blocked from ADMs I'd put it on Ebay...

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
I've got a feeling a lot of dealers are going to keep their car IF they get one...

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've got a feeling a lot of dealers are going to keep their car IF they get one...

I suspect you're right. The dealer I'm on a "list" with has a pretty large collection of his own, and my guess is he will want to keep the car.

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Their concern is not over which of us gets the few cars but which dealers. Ford doesn't sell cars to individuals (and Tesla is going through a lot of issues trying to do so), they sell to dealers. Dealers sell to us. You can be sure the dealer that Jay Lenno buys his cars from will get two. Once a dealer in your are gets one, duke it out with all the others who want his. Ford may try to block ADMs but with most dealers only getting one, what are they going to do? Tell them they can't have another (next year)? It's gonna be interesting.

If I were a dealer and blocked from ADMs I'd put it on Ebay...

I have a Jaguar Project 7 on order. with only 250 cars for world wide sales these cars were sold out in 24 hours. Jaguar did right by insisting that the sales were to clients not to dealers. In order to purchase you had to submit the clients name to Jaguar along with a $20,000 deposit. only individuals could purchase. No Dealers or companies were permitted. All cars go to the public to be enjoyed and seen.

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/04/mclaren-570s-priced-from-184900-in-us.html

With this car at less than half the price it will be damn hard for me to justify buying a new Ford GT.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
It's a great time for car guys...so many great options out there in the next few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
True naut.

The MMGT may be antiquated before it arrives in the showroom.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
:lol

Not so much.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
It will be interesting to see how Ford allocates these cars. I think you will see some big dealers "howling" about not getting even one car. It's like handing someone a winning lottery ticket (on a smaller scale).

If I remember correctly... when Dodge came out with the first 1996 Viper GTS cars they handed out certificates to all those that attended the national Viper Owners Invitational in Monterey CA. It was then up to the Viper owners to find a dealer and make a deal to order the car. If the dealer came up with a price that was out of line... you went to the next dealer. Most of the dealers were not happy about the way this went down and many were sold at window if I remember correctly. This was a pretty nice thing to do for the loyal Viper owner Dodge supporters. This put the buyers more in the drivers seat than the dealers... the buyers had more control if one dealer became too greedy they lost the sale.

I know I made a deal with my local Dodge dealer... they didn't even know what the car was...

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
If I remember correctly... when Dodge came out with the first 1996 Viper GTS cars they handed out certificates to all those that attended the national Viper Owners Invitational in Monterey CA. It was then up to the Viper owners to find a dealer and make a deal to order the car.

I expect Ford to do the same for R10 attendees, with the first certificate(s) awarded to the owner(s) of any and all Midnight Blue/White Stripe non-Mac cars in Largo, Florida, whoever they may be. Seems perfectly fair and logical to me.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
I expect Ford to do the same for R10 attendees, with the first certificate(s) awarded to the owner(s) of any and all Midnight Blue/White Stripe non-Mac cars in Largo, Florida, whoever they may be. Seems perfectly fair and logical to me.

Yet another great opportunity for the GT Guys - on-site Rally X color conversions.

Sorry, Sinovac, I already have a commission deal with Denis & Rich.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

This sounds very logical to me - since I won't be able to afford one anyway....

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
This sounds very logical to me - since I won't be able to afford one anyway....

maybe we could sell our allocation?

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
How about ford giving them to owners with at least 30000 miles on their 05 or 06 cars Lol. I'm closer than most of you . Plus then our high mileage cars will go up in value because buyers will want ours to get a new one. Best idea yet

Last edited:

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Guy from Washington called me last week..or was it Kenya..I don't recall.
Said he was a dealer collecting Midnight Blue FGT's. Said if
I gave him my Bank Account number he would put me on the 'list' . He could not guarantee that I would be number one because he already had
Justin Verlander's bank account numbers for a car. He said I would be number two (2).
Naturally I gave him the information. Keeping my fingers crossed.
ajb

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
I gave him my Bank Account number he would put me on the 'list' . He could not guarantee that I would be number one because he already had
Justin Verlander's bank account numbers for a car. He said I would be number two (2).
ajb

Seems on the up and up to me!

Vince H

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
ajb

I think you may have been taken. I know this because I was offered the same deal, but I also get to meet this beautiful woman. She is a surgeon from some foreign country, and all she wants to do is take good care of her man. All I need to do is is let them deposit a whole bunch of money in my account, and I also get to keep a third of it! Excited.