why Ford is in trouble, my opinion.

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
OK, I haven't been on the site for a while, and to remind everyone of my winning personality, I'll post it like I see it.:thumbsup

I MIGHT be exaggerating just a bit in a few of these :wink but the frustration is still real.

I've been trying to buy a new Ford F250 for over a week.
Salesmen don't call back, don't want to spend 30 minutes on a locate, just want me to buy off the lot or order a truck.

Why can't I order a truck and have it in 2-3 weeks? Why does it take 6-8 weeks? Certainly a truck just like I want is already in line for production, just assign it to me, or make a change on the line and Git-R-Done. When you're company is in trouble you go the extra mile right?

Why can't they search the whole country instead of 100 miles out. I am paying the shipping cost anyway.

I want to buy a truck but all the salesmen would rather drink coffee and smoke than spend time actually earning their commission.

When my wife wanted a new Saturn Sky, it took 5 minutes to search the whole country to find the one she wanted. Took the Ford dealers (two of them) a whole day each to search 100 miles. Then try to convince me to buy something I don't want.

Maybe their system does not allow the level of search that is needed to find what I want, but if not, why not. I should be able to locate it myself via the internet, but the Ford site is too limited in it's search capabilities.

Argh, I've spent so much time trying to finish a simple transaction, geeeezzzzz. Pull up your panties and run a world class company for crying out loud. It's not that damn hard.

Any dealers out there that want an easy sale, ready to put in a bit of effort? Got 15 minutes to spare?

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
your beef with sales guy

Sounds like your beef is with the sales guy not Ford just drop him and go to someone else.

My local Ford dealer, one call he finds what I want and delivers it to me with the paper work. Got my new F350 dually, & (3) 07 V8 Explorers in 1 day and my 07 F-150 Harley AWD in 1 week had to have new color and NAV.

Good & Bad people end up working all kinds of places.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
If you go try to buy a BMW X5 with 4.8i, you have to order and the wait is about 6-8 weeks.

Not a problem with Ford, just a common production/inventory/supply problem for many manufacturers. We might as well just be able to order directly off a website for some makes/models and have the car delivered direct.

Customer service in a retail environment is becoming more and more rare, as many companies try to "efficiently" manage inventory, which has a net impact of leaving showrooms without product to sell and waiting customers.

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
I've already talked to 4 sales people, guess it's a South Florida thing.

My beef with Ford I guess would be that:
---6-8 weeks is too long, for anything built in the usa. I know all auto manufactures are the same, but that's not an excuss.
---Better search for consumers as well as dealers, to quickly find product. Forget the cool sexy wiz-bang site, make the site fully functional (searchable)
---and the biggest grip, they don't have Heritage Livery available on the F250, what is that?

So my problem is with all car manufacutres, dealers and salesmen I guess. This just gets better and better! Maybe I expect too much from the world? :willy

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
We actually had a 4.6 X5 a few years ago. Loved it until something went wrong.
Took it in for service and the dealer pissed us off so bad that we demanded they bring it back out without performing the service, we tradded it that day and have never EVER looked at BMW's again.

But, a similar thing has happened with our Jag and a Toyota I owned many many moons ago. Guess my expectations are too high.

But, I really don't like begging a dealer, please please sell me a truck, and if you don't mind, please please can I pick the color. I watch my employees work way to hard for the money I spend :rofl

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Brian, why aren't you here in Indy, are you squared away for the Rally in KAL-FOOL-NIA?:wink
Miss yah man!:thumbsup

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
OK, I haven't been on the site for a while, and to remind everyone of my winning personality, I'll post it like I see it.:thumbsup

I MIGHT be exaggerating just a bit in a few of these :wink but the frustration is still real.

I've been trying to buy a new Ford F250 for over a week.
Salesmen don't call back, don't want to spend 30 minutes on a locate, just want me to buy off the lot or order a truck.

Why can't I order a truck and have it in 2-3 weeks? Why does it take 6-8 weeks? Certainly a truck just like I want is already in line for production, just assign it to me, or make a change on the line and Git-R-Done. When you're company is in trouble you go the extra mile right?

Why can't they search the whole country instead of 100 miles out. I am paying the shipping cost anyway.

I want to buy a truck but all the salesmen would rather drink coffee and smoke than spend time actually earning their commission.

When my wife wanted a new Saturn Sky, it took 5 minutes to search the whole country to find the one she wanted. Took the Ford dealers (two of them) a whole day each to search 100 miles. Then try to convince me to buy something I don't want.

Maybe their system does not allow the level of search that is needed to find what I want, but if not, why not. I should be able to locate it myself via the internet, but the Ford site is too limited in it's search capabilities.

Argh, I've spent so much time trying to finish a simple transaction, geeeezzzzz. Pull up your panties and run a world class company for crying out loud. It's not that damn hard.

Any dealers out there that want an easy sale, ready to put in a bit of effort? Got 15 minutes to spare?

This pblm isn't limited to Ford dealerships, Brian. And I'd bet the owner of the place isn't/wasn't aware of the situation (regardless of where the buck stops).

Before the wife & I ordered her BMW, she wanted a '300 SRT8. I tried for 2 weeks to get a cash-no-trade price outta the salesman ...'got fed up and EMAILED the same dealer (they're here in town - otherwise I wouldn't have recontacted 'em) ...explained that I couldn't get a price outta "Joe Blow" and asked the internet dude to give me one ... HE never even bothered to contact us either. So, I said, "Screw it", and we started looking at other cars. (And it made me laugh to read your comment about salesman putting smoke breaks first - WE DROVE BY THE CHRYS DEALERSHIP TWICE WHILE THIS WAS GOING ON AND SAW OUR "SALESMAN" SITTING ON A BENCH OUTSIDE THE SHOWROOM SUCKIN' ON A CANCER STICK BOTH TIMES! So, you must be right!:lol

Contrary to the BMW X5 comment posted somewhere above, my wife is absolutely NUTS about her Bimmer (concession to Chris! We all know it's really BEEMER!!! :lol :rofl ). She's sooooo glad she didn't get the 300 now it's not funny.

Incidently, we were told it'd take 45 days to get the car from the time our salesman called Germany to order it. It was here in UNDER that - COMING ALL THE WAY FROM GERMANY ... not Detroit. (It got here in 42 days, I think ...and that included 10-14 days or so "in the boat" getting here.)( And this was one built to our own specs ...'not a car already "in the pipeline".).

So, ya. I gotta agree. 6-8 weeks to get a domestic anything is pbly a weeeee bit too long.

Last edited:

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
So, if this gentelman who started the thread had a good expericence buying his truck, than Ford would be ok?:confused

H

HHGT

Unless you approach the purchase of a car with knowledge, homework or by getting connected with the GSM, you will end up dealing with a teared sales system run mostly by idioits and designed to maximize profits. Years back I figured this out and have not had any bad experiences since. A fellow member recently asked to me to help him find a the new Toyota Truck. Within 24 hours, I found him one for $100 over invoice - almost unheard of for a Toyota

With respect to BMW, Honda & Toyota, I personally would never consider any of them. In my opinion they are the most over rated and over priced vehicles in existence. You can buy US made cars with 10 Yr/100,00 Miles warranty.

Fit and Finish are the first words of garbage that are argued and I honestly dont get it. Sooooo, if anyone would like to explain what Fit & Finish means; I welcome you explanation.

With respect to the original post, pm me what model, color and option and I'll find one for you at below invoice - assuming its not a Shelby. CA to FL shipping should be approx. $1,000. BTW, I am not a dealer.

Cheers!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
With respect to BMW, Honda & Toyota, I personally would never consider any of them. In my opinion they are the most over rated and over priced vehicles in existence.

Well, 'twould appear 'you be' in the minority with THAT opinion, HH!:lol :lol :lol

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
Not limited to Ford. My wife thought that she might want an MDX..so I drove to the closest dealer and started walking the lot...walked inside..sat in the car in the showroom. Walked out and got in my truck and left...not a word from anyone! Well no MDX for me.

Got the name of a salesman with a chevy dealer and called him...he has searched out to 500 miles and can't find what I want...so going to have to order an 08'...don't like the lack of rebates but I get it at Invoice and don't have to haggle.

What I think you mean more SuperB is that Ford needs to do something to make the dealer experience more pleasant because their representatives are doing very much to help them move cars. I'm there with you on that one...

Matt

H

HHGT

Well, 'twould appear 'you be' in the minority with THAT opinion, HH!:lol :lol :lol

Always been a minority and proud of it!:cheers

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Always been a minority and proud of it!:cheers

:lol :thumbsup
Me too in a LOTTA ways!

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
Bony, I really wanted to go to Indy, even paid....
But, we've got a one year old and are expecting another addition in November. Both Indy and the Rally were too much, so I had to pick one, and the Rally is "The One" :thumbsup

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
Yep Empty, you'd think Detroit could get a custom job done in 2-3 weeks, 42 days from Germany is pretty quick when it's spending a week on a boat and a week at a dock.

As for The Beemer, we really liked the X-5, it was the deeler. We buy 2-3 new cars a year and don't even look at Beemer's any more. I was considering an SLR in addition to the GT. But couldn't bring myself to entertain rewarding that dealership. Beside, I decided I didn't like the SLR as much.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Brian-

You're going to love the new Superduty when you get it. I just took delivery of my new F250 King Ranch last week. What a nice ride!

Part of the problem with getting one quick is that the redesigned model is in very high demand at the moment and dealers are only allocated so many. With demand so high, many dealers have little/no incentive to work hard on a sale. Short sighted I know...

BTW, it is Bimmer NOT Beemer. (pet peeve) :lol

See you at the rally in LA.

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
I decided to change my requirements and look at a few other options.
Looked at a Toyota and a Nissan.
Didn't like the Toyota Tundra, it rides so rough that I hit a bump in the road and got a nose bleed.
The Nissan Titan was pretty nice, but the interior is kinda cheezy (but I guess it's just a truck).
Told the sales man to find me one and an hour later he found 2, quoted a price and just needs to get availability from the other dealer.

What I'd like to see, and it will never happen because it hurts dealers, is a full internet search. Meaning you can enter everything you want and find it anywhere in the country, or see when that exact model is scheduled to be built, or when it COULD be built if you ordered by 4PM.... Then, do like Saturn and just sell cars, stop putting moronic salesman in the way of profits and just sell cars. How wonderful it would be, here is exactly what you want, it's in Colorado and can be at your local dealer in 2 days, call Joe at 555-1212 and set it up...

Even better, buy it online and have FedEx bring it to your door.

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Many of these problems may be at least partly "dealer specific" to that locale. Where I live, the best service seems to be from the local BMW and Lexus dealerships. I have received stellar service from both of these dealerships. On the other hand, the local Porsche dealership leaves a lot to be desired. I purchased a Cayenne Turbo from them almost 2 years ago...can never get a "live" person on the phone, always get voicemail. The last time I took it in for service, they were out of loaners so they gave me a rental car--Suzuki! I took it without complaining. Seems at Porsche that the squeaky wheel gets the grease! Next time, I am squeaking!! :eek Never happened with the BMW dealership when I had my X5. :frown Conversely, my local Ford dealership is fantastic. Really rolls out the red carpet. Always easy to schedule appts, good work, good documentation!!

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
HHGT and all,

I was looking for an F250 Crewcab Diesel 4x4 LongBed Lariet or FX4 with PTO
I wanted Burgandy or Blue as well as several options like Nav, DVD, Reverse Aid, Adj pedals, Tailgate step. Eventually both dealers found Black or Silver, after I called two more times.

I guess the problem is the PTO, there must not be a way to do a locate with PTO and the salesman have a choice of a smoke or an hour at a computer.

The PTO, BTW, is for a RealACPower.com solution. Which is an install of a 15Kw Generator to the Trucks PTO.

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
F-150 250

I decided to change my requirements and look at a few other options.
Looked at a Toyota and a Nissan.
Didn't like the Toyota Tundra, it rides so rough that I hit a bump in the road and got a nose bleed.
The Nissan Titan was pretty nice, but the interior is kinda cheezy (but I guess it's just a truck).
Told the sales man to find me one and an hour later he found 2, quoted a price and just needs to get availability from the other dealer.

Both of those are 1/2 ton, more a F-150 or Lincoln LT comparable.
Check out the new Harley F-150 with the Roush S/C option, very cool.
:thumbsup

New 2008 F-250 Super Duty Diesel is really cool twin turbo's and my favorite part is the tail gate step.:biggrin

What I'd like to see, and it will never happen because it hurts dealers, is a full internet search. Meaning you can enter everything you want and find it anywhere in the country, or see when that exact model is scheduled to be built, or when it COULD be built if you ordered by 4PM.... Then, do like Saturn and just sell cars, stop putting moronic salesman in the way of profits and just sell cars. How wonderful it would be, here is exactly what you want, it's in Colorado and can be at your local dealer in 2 days, call Joe at 555-1212 and set it up...

Even better, buy it online and have FedEx bring it to your door.

Great idea!