Who needs a Prius?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I drove the car 500 miles yesterday, averaging somewhere between 70-75 mph, and I calculated highway fuel economy of 23.5 mpg for the trip. I made it almost 370 miles before the fuel gauge light scared me into stopping. Not bad! And that includes quite a bit of hill climbing and a brief couple of exhibition runs for a car full of high school baseball players absolutely freaking out about the car. They had the video camera out so I'm sure that'll pop up someday.

Courtesy of my freeflyer 30 psi boost gauge I finally figured out my car is currently set at 16 psi, which is nuts, because it feels damn fast as is, and I spent most of the year last year running it at 22-23 psi on C16. :eek Honestly, this thing is just awesome right now with only probably 750rwhp. I don't even think I need the other 200 back.

So there's the answer. All we need to do is twin turbo lots of these cars and run them up to 800hp and we'll save all kinds of gas! Just don't go WOT, because you can easily wipe out that HWY fuel economy in a couple seconds.

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
I drove the car 500 miles yesterday, averaging somewhere between 70-75 mph, and I calculated highway fuel economy of 23.5 mpg for the trip. I made it almost 370 miles before the fuel gauge light scared me into stopping. Not bad! And that includes quite a bit of hill climbing and a brief couple of exhibition runs for a car full of high school baseball players absolutely freaking out about the car. They had the video camera out so I'm sure that'll pop up someday.

Courtesy of my freeflyer 30 psi boost gauge I finally figured out my car is currently set at 16 psi, which is nuts, because it feels damn fast as is, and I spent most of the year last year running it at 22-23 psi on C16. :eek Honestly, this thing is just awesome right now with only probably 750rwhp. I don't even think I need the other 200 back.

So there's the answer. All we need to do is twin turbo lots of these cars and run them up to 800hp and we'll save all kinds of gas! Just don't go WOT, because you can easily wipe out that HWY fuel economy in a couple seconds.

I heard a rumor that Itsonlymoney gets over 30 mpg. But then again his car has NEVER seen boost. :biggrin

Why's your boost set so low? I thought you'd be set in the 25-28 range.

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
I heard a rumor that Itsonlymoney gets over 30 mpg. But then again his car has NEVER seen boost. :biggrin

I also heard he was told about running used trans fluid in his Dodge diesel. My kinda guy. :thumbsup

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
:slap

FM99

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 4, 2008
Iowa
I averaged 24 mpg going from Iowa to N.C. and back last year. Stock FGT. Why the gas guzzler tax? It gets better mpg than my 2-door explorer?

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
Thats the beauty of the Heffner kit... lotsa power on low boost.. easier on the system... higher reliability...

even at C&D when we competed with my yellow car we were only running 21 psi... on pump gas....

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
I never cease to be amazed by the FGT. I can get a steady 22-23 MPG on the highway in a totally stock Super exotic car. For my company I have a 2001 Malibu - gets 20 best case, a chevy colorado pickup - gets 16 best case, and a Chevy Dually - gets 8 loaded or empty no matter. MY FGT is the most economical car in the fleet!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
A FGT cruising on the highway gets great mileage. I got low 20s going to Vegas for Rally III and I was cruising at an average speed of well above the flow of traffic with many WOT pulls in 3rd when passing. All done in the heat with a/c on full. Great mileage. A Prius would get worst mileage if it could even make the trip at that average speed, which I doubt could be done. Prius mileage goes way down if you go much over the posted speed limit and the with the A/C on the mileage takes a bit hit. Now drive in downtown San Francisco for 1 hour in a Prius vs. a FGT and a bet the Prius will be over well over 40 MPG an a FGT less than 10 mpg. Different cars for different uses. Which car would you use to take the kids to a crowded shopping center?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
psst....it was a joke :lol

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
I think I got around 9mpg on my last tank

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
psst....it was a joke :lol

So Dave...What mileage did you actually get or did you track it at all. I get 8 running hard on the race track, about 16 to 18 around town and over 20 when running on the highway. How much of a difference does the twin kit actually make on the cars milegae?

Nathan

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
370 miles to a tank, that is incredible, especially on a HIGHLY modded GT!! When I picked up my car from Bill's Area 51 facility, Shadowman was joking (at least half way) as I was leaving and said "you should buy a Prius to make up on gas mileage for the GT. All I did was Pulley/tune. Last month I did 2 trips to Infineon Raceway in Sonoma, which is only 42 miles each way and after 2 round trips i had to put in a 15 gallon! That's like 11.2 mpg!! I don't even have a heavy right foot....

370 miles is great!

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
A FGT cruising on the highway gets great mileage. I got low 20s going to Vegas for Rally III and I was cruising at an average speed of well above the flow of traffic with many WOT pulls in 3rd when passing. All done in the heat with a/c on full. Great mileage. A Prius would get worst mileage if it could even make the trip at that average speed, which I doubt could be done. Prius mileage goes way down if you go much over the posted speed limit and the with the A/C on the mileage takes a bit hit. Now drive in downtown San Francisco for 1 hour in a Prius vs. a FGT and a bet the Prius will be over well over 40 MPG an a FGT less than 10 mpg. Different cars for different uses. Which car would you use to take the kids to a crowded shopping center?

Answer: Neither.

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
I have no idea what gas mileage any of my cars get, not interested. When the tank is empty, they get filled.

I will never buy a Prius or anything resembling one.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
gas milage is probably the least important thing I look for in a sprots car, especially when I have made up my mind to buy one, as I had with the gt, when I saw jeremy clarckson on top gear claiming the gt gets 4 miles to the gallon, I thought to my self, .......THATS NOT BAD:lol

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
Not bad, Dave....but the GT can't take the sports car MPG crown....that belongs to the C5 (non Z06) Corvette. With that 0.50:1 sixth...30 mpg is easy at 75-80 mph....and 32 mpg is not out of the question at 70. Just crazy how good aero, tall gearing, and a torquey motor can work together!

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Has anybody figured out how Clarkson could have possibly gotten 4 mpg? Even on a track I can't get that bad. Maybe I'm just not driving it right.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Has anybody figured out how Clarkson could have possibly gotten 4 mpg? Even on a track I can't get that bad. Maybe I'm just not driving it right.

I wouldnt pay attention to any technical information given by jeremy clarckson, especially about a car:wink

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
So Dave...What mileage did you actually get or did you track it at all. I get 8 running hard on the race track, about 16 to 18 around town and over 20 when running on the highway. How much of a difference does the twin kit actually make on the cars milegae?

Nathan

No, I really did get 23.5 coming home. I meant the Prius thing was a joke because I wouldn't be caught dead in one anyways. The car gets great gas mileage on the freeway now, but the twins obviously make it much much worse at speed. I've tracked it with the TT's twice, and it's a good things good tracks have gas pumps available. :lol

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I don't know if you could get 4 mpg, but if you run the car at high speed for any notable amount of time, the gas gauge needle will move appreciably. Not that I know.