Whipple Rattle

DRIVEBY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 17, 2006
Las Vegas
After getting the car out from winter storage, I have discovered a noisy rattle which appears to come from my 3.4L Whipple. It's about 3 years old and 10K on it. I haven't called Whipple yet.

Any ideas on how bad this might be?? :confused

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Is it a rattle or a click? Get it fixed dude. Driving time is here.

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
Check out my post back in '08 with video, it turned out to be the SC belt. Does your sound like mine?

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9836&highlight=whipple+noise

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Also, could be a loose pulley. We recently had this problem with a whipple. The whipple pulley is held on by three or four Allen screws. Unfortunatly the whipple has the be removed to fix this problem.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Also, could be a loose pulley. We recently had this problem with a whipple. The whipple pulley is held on by three or four Allen screws. Unfortunatly the whipple has the be removed to fix this problem.

Not True!

I changed pulleys without removing the SC.... Need a right angle allen set and it can be done. Take your time and for God's sakes don't drop the screw! You can find replacements but it will take a trip to Ace Hdwr and Lowes at least!

Don't forget the Loctite!

DRIVEBY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 17, 2006
Las Vegas
Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it. It's definitely not a chirping noise like Heritage Bruce's, but a rattle as if it's starved for oil - I guess I should have made a video and sound byte, but I'm an idiot.

Whipple has opened up a work Case on it, so hopefully, we'll figure it out & I'll be back on the road soon. :cheers

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Not True!

I changed pulleys without removing the SC.... Need a right angle allen set and it can be done. Take your time and for God's sakes don't drop the screw! You can find replacements but it will take a trip to Ace Hdwr and Lowes at least!

Ok, I will re-phrase. In my opinion, the supercharger SHOULD be removed to do this correctly so that you get the right amount of torque, lock-tight, etc so that you dont have this problem again, IF this is the problem. Our charger sounded the same as you say. It sounded as if the inside was grinding, etc. Oil level in the charger was correct. So, we removed the charger and found that the pulley was loose. We removed the allen screws, Added lock-tight, re-torqued them and have never had the problem again. Now, as MAD said, I guess it IS possible to do it without removing the charger and everything may go great, but in my opinion, it is not that much work removing the charger and the project will get done more accuratly this way. Hope you solve your problem. :thumbsup

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Don't forget, MAD is a dopey engineer. The kind of guy that designs this bullcrap that is impossible to work on.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Don't forget, MAD is a dopey engineer. The kind of guy that designs this bullcrap that is impossible to work on.

Yes, that is true. After I saw it took you and 5 family members to change a lightbulb - we learned that we had to institute in general a "Darwin" protection mechanism on any device with a moving part design :thumbsup

see ya Doc.....

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California

Are you speaking of the human body? It wasn't designed by an engineer.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007

I will admit, Mads spelling is probably a little better than mine. I knew the way I was spelling loctite did not look correct.

DRIVEBY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 17, 2006
Las Vegas
Update

What can I say....

The guys at Whipple (Brian & Mike) really stepped up to the plate. After a one week turn around for a very fast & relatively cheap rebuild, my 1st Gen Whipple is going back on the car tonight.

These guys went out of their way to expedite my case and I literally had a fresh supercharger coming back to me in less than a day.

Thanks Whipple! :cheers Now I can race against Dr. Frank mid-June at Road America. :willy

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Hey DriveBy, hate to ruin your hopes, but it's mid-July.

DRIVEBY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 17, 2006
Las Vegas
LOL ..... More Practice time for Ya.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Mine has the same squeal as the one in last years video. It is at Whipple as we speak.