Whipple Making Noise, please help me to ID it

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
I've had the Whipple for a few months now and it all in a sudden is making a chirping sound at about 2K RPM or above. It is quiet at idle. Could this be the pulley needing some lub or belt tension?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5523095587301538585

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Why don't you give Dustin Whipple a call and the link to the video.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
+1

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
+2

And I would assume any kind of chirping with a correlation to rpm is typically belt related.

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
Belt

From the look on the video the "manual" tension pulley on the Whipple itself looks like it needs to be slid over to the drivers side some more. Usually that pulley is almose all the way to the drivers side in the slot.

Rich

GFORCE

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2006
Had the same thing

How many miles on your car before you put the whipple? It was not the SS
belt.It was the other belt which had streched a inch.

Aug 25, 2006
I've had the Whipple for a few months now and it all in a sudden is making a chirping sound at about 2K RPM or above. It is quiet at idle. Could this be the pulley needing some lub or belt tension?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5523095587301538585

Hi Bruce

No w certainly Dustin is the person to offer the definative answer however I assume and yet must ask;

1. Is there sufficient oil in the gear case; you can look at the site glass while it is sitting still with a mirror or through the back glass of your gal and it should be in the middle of the sight glass.

2. To place the Whipple tensioner in proper position one must completely relax the OEM tensioner and then slide thje Whipple snout belt wrap idler over as far is possible; snug it and then release the OEM tensioner.

Now having asked and said this it sound more mechanical however through the video the audio maybe skewed.

Hang in there

Shadowman

H

HHGT

Hey Bruce, sorry for your troubles. If you need to borrow my covered trailer to transport let me know.

BTW, didn't Jack @ MMP do the install? What was their opinion?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
From the look on the video the "manual" tension pulley on the Whipple itself looks like it needs to be slid over to the drivers side some more. Usually that pulley is almose all the way to the drivers side in the slot.

Rich, I agree with your observation too and I discussed this with Bruce last night. Shadowman & Dustin both advise to have this idler over as far as possible.... so this is something that should be done at some point. I'm not sure this is the culprit, however, as the OEM belt tensioner is still applying relatively linear tension, whereas the idler will improve belt wrap (less slip chances at higher boost).

Bruce, in seeing/hearing the video..... that chirp is annoying as hell!! I better understand the frustration you expressed last night!!

Are you reasonable sure that it is the SC pulley? It could be one of the other pulleys.....

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I've listened to the audio over & over and I'm going to be the "odd man out" here and say that sounds like bearing squeal to me.

'Hope I'm wrong ------

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Pockets that was my first thought too. The Whipple bearings on the pulley side are bathed in oil, unlikely to fail. The bearings on the other side I believe I sealed units that are more likely to fail. But without further testing I wouldn't know for sure it was the Whipple or some other rotating part. A quick test would be to use some auto stethoscope to try to isolate the sound by probing around. Be careful to not get it tangled in the belts! If it sqeaks without generating boost then it is unlikely to be the belt. One way to test that would be to rig the superchargers bypass valve to always be in bypass mode. Then at moderate RPMs there should be no boost and less load on the supercharger's belt.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I've listened to the audio over & over

Me too.... so my other suggestion is to fog the garage and hope you kill the damn cricket.

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
Belt

Sounds like a belt squeal. One way to isolate the belt is to CAREFULLY spray a touch of water on the belt to see if the noise stops for a few seconds. That will at least tell which belt is making the noise.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Me too.... so my other suggestion is to fog the garage and hope you kill the damn cricket.

:cheers kendall good advice :thumbsup..... Bruce sounds like belt (I hope)

Try the water test ......

Aug 25, 2006
I was relucttant to say anymore because the bottom-line is that I feel that it should be looked at rather than endless speculation

In any case

What I do and have had numerous others do over the years; including Ford GT owners that ask me about belt noise is use a bar of soap

It is easy and quick.

Fire the gal and then place the bar of soap at the belt edge as if attempting to cut it and it will migration enough material to confirm one way or the other in a matter of seconds. It is not messy and one ois not attempting to spray this or that here and there never certain that contact has been made.

Certainly the noise as heard could be a belt however in the video IMO it had more of a mechanical soound as such I wanted the known items checked such as gear case oil level before doing anything more.

Takes care

Shadowman

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I was relucttant to say anymore because the bottom-line is that I feel that it should be looked at rather than endless speculation

In any case

What I do and have had numerous others do over the years; including Ford GT owners that ask me about belt noise is use a bar of soap

It is easy and quick.

Fire the gal and then place the bar of soap at the belt edge as if attempting to cut it and it will migration enough material to confirm one way or the other in a matter of seconds. It is not messy and one ois not attempting to spray this or that here and there never certain that contact has been made.

Certainly the noise as heard could be a belt however in the video IMO it had more of a mechanical soound as such I wanted the known items checked such as gear case oil level before doing anything more.

Takes care

Shadowman

I've always used chalk for this. It also works like a champ...

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I've always used chalk for this. It also works like a champ...

you only put 711 miles on the FGT and you "chalked" her :slap

Morning EP! :biggrin

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
NO, yew mental midget! I've always used chalk on ANY "squeaking" belt.

(And, it was 778.2 miles, Mr. Knowitall...)

Mornin', Mike!

GFORCE

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2006
All i can say

I had the same thing,it was the other belt.Not the SC belt.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I had the same thing,it was the other belt.Not the SC belt.

But, usually, a squeaking belt will change "pitch" a little as it grabs a bit, then slips a bit, then grabs, etc., as you go up or down in RPM's. ("Squeals" at different pitches, so to speak.)

This sound/pitch seems pretty much constant to me.