Whipple 4.5L

ezratigfeld

Jan 9, 2019
Floda, Sweden
Hi,

I plan to change to a whipple 4.5L and understand I have to upgrade the software, but other then that
is there something else I need to upgrade, I guess fuel pumps?

Thanks,
Ezra

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
there are a lot of more informed people on this forum about this subject than me but I know from experience you open up a whole new realm of upgrades to the GT when you install that large of a supercharger. you might want to really ask around before purchasing or installing to save you a lot of grief but then it depends on what kind of driving you intend to do as well. Rich installed my 3.4 Whipple and it became a whole new car and driveability was excellent. tune makes a world of difference as well. even a 3.4 is 50% larger than the stock Lisholm if I'm not mistaken. jmo

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Hi,

I plan to change to a whipple 4.5L and understand I have to upgrade the software, but other then that
is there something else I need to upgrade, I guess fuel pumps?

Thanks,
Ezra

What are your performance goals? I WOULD NOT put a 4.5 whipple on it, that blower is way to big and requires a ton of support mods to engine fuel system etc.. There are two new options coming out for the Ford GT.. One will be a magnuson tvs 3.1 liter blower (same style rotor pack as 2020 gt 500 just bigger and the other will be the new gen 5 3.8 whipple.. Both of those options are a 100 times better than the old 3.4 and 4.0 whiipple technology.. Shoot me a pm if you have any questions.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
What are your performance goals? I WOULD NOT put a 4.5 whipple on it, that blower is way to big and requires a ton of support mods to engine fuel system etc.. There are two new options coming out for the Ford GT.. One will be a magnuson tvs 3.1 liter blower (same style rotor pack as 2020 gt 500 just bigger and the other will be the new gen 5 3.8 whipple.. Both of those options are a 100 times better than the old 3.4 and 4.0 whiipple technology.. Shoot me a pm if you have any questions.
good information

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I’d reply on a PM, but I’m sure everyone wants to know why the new blowers are supposed to be better than the last generation Whipple 3.4. Tighter clearances? Something else?

I have a whipple 3.4 I haven’t installed yet.

Ghost

Jun 15, 2018
I’m very interested on the new generation blower options as well

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

Will the Gen V 3.8L require fuel system change over?

ezratigfeld

Jan 9, 2019
Floda, Sweden
I just want more power was thinking I will go with the american mentality ''BIGGEST IS THE BEST'' but maybe that's not always the best option :)

I understand I may have to upgrade more than I think. Is there someone else here who as changed to 4.5L whipple and can tell me what mod was made so I know about what needs to be done to get it running as it should?

Last edited:

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Will the Gen V 3.8L require fuel system change over?

No. i would imagine 1000whp being very easy with it on a stock motor, Cam and valve spring swap and probably pick up 150-200whp on top of that. The new rotor design also makes less tq.. Which honestly is a better thing. It is also capable of 1700-1800whp at full tilt. Not many will go that route but its a beast and light years in technology a head of the 4.0 and 3.4 blowers..

Reactions: Fast Freddy

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
I’d reply on a PM, but I’m sure everyone wants to know why the new blowers are supposed to be better than the last generation Whipple 3.4. Tighter clearances? Something else?

I have a whipple 3.4 I haven’t installed yet.

The rotor technology is more efficient, The 3.4 and 4.0 technology is over 20 years old now.. Good superchargers but by no means great compared to today's standards and what the oe and aftermarket is offering.. Take the new 2.65 tvs rotor pack that is available in the oem Hellcat, track hawk and GT500 mustang.. The Gt500's make 1000whp with ease and so do the others. Ford gt's are hard pressed to make 850whp with a 4.0 whipple in comparison. Plus they are a heat pump.. I know that if the 2.65 tvs blower is made for production it will make 925whp no problem as there has already been a gt engine that has done it. That will put the 3.1 liter tvs in the 1000whp range with no issues on a stock gt engine.

I get some of you guys might not want to make that much power but the nicer thing about it is that when you slow the blower down boost wise it is just more efficient and will make less blower heat and less heat soak compared to the older whipple stuff. For the guys who want a direct bolt on kit that can be done in their own garage with simple tools and can make twin turbo power very easy. These up coming options are going to be a great option..

Its going to be mid 21 or so before these are available..

If i had a commitment on the whipples and knew a number of those interested i could maybe get it into a priority production schedule.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
I just want more power was thinking I will go with the american mentality ''BIGGEST IS THE BEST'' but maybe that's not always the best option :)

I understand I may have to upgrade more than I think. Is there someone else here who as changed to 4.5L whipple and can tell me what mod was made so I know about what needs to be done to get it running as it should?

Even if you put a 4.5 whipple on your car it is not going to just magically make (ALL THE POWER) the supercharger capable of.. It will take about a 20-30k upgraded engine build, extensive fuel system, clutch, headers/exhaust, custom intake kit etc. It's probably 50k to properly utilize that blower and its not a great piece compared to the new technology that is coming out from whipple. You are better suited to wait and get the new technology that is smaller size, more efficient and packs a bigger punch than 4.5 liter blower

Trust me when i say this.... YOU DO NOT WANT A 4.5 WHIPPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The rotor pack is super heavy and they break belts on top of it. It's not designed for a 10 rib belt system like the GT has.

You need to start with a power goal first.. How much power do you want to make? Then pick your power adder.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
Even if you put a 4.5 whipple on your car it is not going to just magically make (ALL THE POWER) the supercharger capable of.. It will take about a 20-30k upgraded engine build, extensive fuel system, clutch, headers/exhaust, custom intake kit etc. It's probably 50k to properly utilize that blower and its not a great piece compared to the new technology that is coming out from whipple. You are better suited to wait and get the new technology that is smaller size, more efficient and packs a bigger punch than 4.5 liter blower

Trust me when i say this.... YOU DO NOT WANT A 4.5 WHIPPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The rotor pack is super heavy and they break belts on top of it. It's not designed for a 10 rib belt system like the GT has.

You need to start with a power goal first.. How much power do you want to make? Then pick your power adder.
(y)

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Of the new blowers about to come out, which looks to be the better unit? Whipple or TVS?

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Of the new blowers about to come out, which looks to be the better unit? Whipple or TVS?

Honestly they both will be equally great options. If you wanted to make balls out power 1500+whp the whipple will be the blower of choice. If you want to make up to 1200whp they both will be great.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I concur with what has already been written about the previous gen Whipples. I would pass as well.

Regarding the specific question of OEM fuel limitations, I think you will likely need to make some mods if you want to go over 850HP or so. As such, for me, I would say that 850HP should be the goal. Fuel system mods begin to introduce another level of complexity which may be straightforward to the diehard guys but less so the owner that seeks a reliable (tinker-free) supercar.

Reactions: 2112 and B.M.F.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
I concur with what has already been written about the previous gen Whipples. I would pass as well.

Regarding the specific question of OEM fuel limitations, I think you will likely need to make some mods if you want to go over 850HP or so. As such, for me, I would say that 850HP should be the goal. Fuel system mods begin to introduce another level of complexity which may be straightforward to the diehard guys but less so the owner that seeks a reliable (tinker-free) supercar.

i have twin drop in 400’s for fuel pumps that will support 1050-1100whp pretty easy. Then a person doesn’t have to deal with surge tank set up.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
For say 850, like Kendal suggested, just a boost-a-pump, correct?

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
For say 850, like Kendal suggested, just a boost-a-pump, correct?
Yes and twin 52lb injectors

Ghost

Jun 15, 2018
Just curious, and I know this is an odd question, how loud are thosedrop in 400 fuel pumps compared to stock?

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Just curious, and I know this is an odd question, how loud are thosedrop in 400 fuel pumps compared to stock?

you won’t hear them even if you have boost a pumps on them

Reactions: EthanFf