When to replace mounts and bushings?

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
At what 'age' is it recommended to replace mounts (engine, trans) and suspension bushings. Like any other car, I would imagine they crack, sag and need to be replaced. Our cars are now 12+ years old. Is it time (regardless of mileage)?

Good questions! And what about radiator and other rubber hoses? They get old and crack.

Pat Milliken Ford

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Feb 15, 2017
Redford, Michigan
I talked with our Ford GT mechanic here and he said they shouldn't need to be replaced. The mounts are made differently than years past and last a lot longer. Perhaps more around the 20 year or so mark. As far as rubber hoses, those just need to be inspected and again in most cases they don't need to be replaced. It is more about changing all the fluids (brake, clutch, power steering, differential, supercharger, coolant...) And also changing all the belts and filters.

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Good advice. Hopefully all the parts will still be available in 10 more years!

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
Good advice. Hopefully all the parts will still be available in 10 more years!
sorry but not a chance. jmho

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Bushings in the control arms are not replaceable!! Have to buy new ones. Ask me how I know!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Bushings in the control arms are not replaceable!! Have to buy new ones. Ask me how I know!!!

if it came down to it I'm sure they are replaceable, they just don't want you to replace them.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
if it came down to it I'm sure they are replaceable, they just don't want you to replace them.

True but Scott (northwoodgt) and I have had this discussion. No one has come up with replacements the way they are pressed in. I may recall someone in Europe having someone come up with something.

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
sorry but not a chance. jmho

That's what I was worried about

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I had a conversation with Dennis B of The GT Guy a couple years ago regarding this topic. For those who don't already know, he was on the original development and testing team for the GT. He pressed many bushings of different materials in and out of the A-arms during that time, and he said that you can only press the bushings in once, because the aluminum A-arm points deform under those stresses, and if you press a bushing out and press another one in, it doesn't fit as tightly. So, the A-arms as designed are one-time use. If the arms were made out of steel, you could press old bushings out and new ones in probably forever. But they wouldn't look as cool as the aluminum ones.

Another option I've considered is some way of compressing the aluminum arm bushing bores to restore the "crush" of the bushings, but that's not an easy thing to do. Long-term solution is probably to fabricate steel arms from alloy steel tubing.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
He pressed many bushings of different materials in and out of the A-arms during that time, and he said that you can only press the bushings in once, because the aluminum A-arm points deform under those stresses, and if you press a bushing out and press another one in, it doesn't fit as tightly.

If I understand what you're saying, knurling the bore would reduce the bore diameter, thereby recreating the interference fit.

There are a number of hand operated internal knurling tools available.

Alternatively, use slightly larger bushings. GT101 had Powerflex make swaybar bushings. They manufacture bushings to spec.

Last edited:

68Rcodeman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2008
Spring Hill, FL.
On Ford Expeditions and Explorers the lower control arms are aluminum and we press the ball joints out for replacement. The new ball joint from Ford comes with a Green locktite. I have not had any press back in loose and that is the recommended manufactures repair procedure. I do believe the control arm recall on the early 2005 cars that Jack Roush machined from billet cost Ford $40,000.00 each car.?? Ouch!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Is there a way to melt the old bushing chemically or with heat in a way the A-arm is not harmed?

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Unfortunately, no. The rubber bushing actually is contained within an outer metal shell, which is what you press out of the A-arm.

I like the Locktite idea. Rich and Dennis are supposed to be at the Rally, maybe we should have a tech discussion with them about ways to replace the bushings without having to replace the arms.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
OK, Still thinking out loud here.

Say you melt the rubber out, then use an EDM to spark erode the metal shell out of the arm. The EDM are insanely accurate and should be able to remove the shell casing without touching the A-arm. I have had oiling holes spark eroded into the shell of sealed cam roller bearings without making any contact with the rollers themselves. Accurate to within a couple thousandths of an inch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_discharge_machining

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Well, no need for an EDM machine--a hand held hacksaw would do the trick too. In fact I've done something very similar in a different application. However, heating up the A-arm and bushing enough to burn out the rubber might have deleterious effects on the aluminum A-arm. I don't know if they were heat treated in any way, or whether the alloy is even heat treatable, but I'd be cautious about applying the blue wrench to these pretty parts.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Yeah, not a torch, maybe an accurate oven?

Just tossing ideas at the wall to see if anything sticks.

68Rcodeman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2008
Spring Hill, FL.
Here is how to remove without heat. Take a drill and a 1/8 bit. Drill onto the rubber bushing numerous times clockwise causing the rubber to become removed between the inside metal sleeve and the outer metal once the rubber is removed the inner sleeve will fall out. Then scrape the rubber out this will let you work on removing the outer shell of the bushing. You can then scribe the outer shell from the inside not cutting into the control arm and the shell will remove with ease. I have used this method on early Bronco track arm bushings. Hope this helps. No heat if use this procedure.

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
Here is how to remove without heat. Take a drill and a 1/8 bit. Drill onto the rubber bushing numerous times clockwise causing the rubber to become removed between the inside metal sleeve and the outer metal once the rubber is removed the inner sleeve will fall out. Then scrape the rubber out this will let you work on removing the outer shell of the bushing. You can then scribe the outer shell from the inside not cutting into the control arm and the shell will remove with ease. I have used this method on early Bronco track arm bushings. Hope this helps. No heat if use this procedure.

I have done this method on my Porsche 993 track car with good success. I replaced the OEM with poly bushings.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Yes guys but there are no replacement bushings for our arms. Unless one of you have fabricated some and they have proven years of use and success.