When should oil pump belt be changed

fordgt6

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 19, 2009
East Lake Weir, FL
I received my 06 GT 5 years ago today. Oil change is coming due again. When I change the oil do I need to change the belt? It still has the original belt but the car has low mileage. When should I change the belt? It doesn't look to be hard. What has been everyone's experience? Thanks, Bob

enrico

GT Owner
Jul 20, 2010
London, UK
workshop manual list it as a 30k miles service item. or after 3 years if engine has not been operating.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Not a walk in the park to change, but not too difficult. If you drive it often enough, leave well enough alone.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I recommend some short stubby 1/4"drive torx bits to ease getting the cover off.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The belt is not hard to change - but the tension adjustment is critical. With the plastic cover off and out of the way, make sure you can see and understand the tension alignment marks above the tensioner. Sometimes a small mirror can help you to see in there. Once you can see the alignment notch and how the stamped mark aligns within the notch, then I would say that you are safe to proceed. The Service Manual in this case is pretty much a must.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
To Kendall's point. Just had mine changed at 15k, 5 yr's by the GTGuys at VIR. Belt was fine with very little wear but the tensioner needed cleaning and a lube job. It was gritty and binding which necessitated the cleaning to work as design.....

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
The belt is not hard to change - but the tension adjustment is critical. With the plastic cover off and out of the way, make sure you can see and understand the tension alignment marks above the tensioner. Sometimes a small mirror can help you to see in there. Once you can see the alignment notch and how the stamped mark aligns within the notch, then I would say that you are safe to proceed. The Service Manual in this case is pretty much a must.

When checking with Shadowman about the proper adjustment per the service manual he advised me that the manual instruction was in error. The rotation to adjust is just the opposite of that described in the manual. Perhaps he will chime in to confirm.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
When checking with Shadowman about the proper adjustment per the service manual he advised me that the manual instruction was in error. The rotation to adjust is just the opposite of that described in the manual. Perhaps he will chime in to confirm.

:agree: I wish he could, but I don't think that is possible. :confused

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006

Honestly, this is really a moot point. Once you are able to see the small scribe mark and the alignment notch that's about 1/8" wide, you place the scribe mark within the notch. If a clockwise motion makes it go left instead of right, I think the average Joe might conclude that counter-clockwise would do the opposite. The key is to try to witness the scribe and notch BEFORE you remove the belt so you know a known-right orientation before you start. It's downhill after that.

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Honestly, this is really a moot point. Once you are able to see the small scribe mark and the alignment notch that's about 1/8" wide, you place the scribe mark within the notch. If a clockwise motion makes it go left instead of right, I think the average Joe might conclude that counter-clockwise would do the opposite. The key is to try to witness the scribe and notch BEFORE you remove the belt so you know a known-right orientation before you start. It's downhill after that.

I don't have the manual at hand but if I recall correctly when you turn the adjuster as descibed in the manual both the scribe and the alignment notch move. When turned the opposite direction there is an arm on the alignment notch piece that parks itself against a casting vein so that the notch remains stationary and just the scribe moves. When my father and I did the first oil change he removed the cover to check the belt he noticed that the scribe was outside the notch. It was then that he called Shadowman and questioned the procedure. Shadowman said it was another error in the manual and that it should be tensioned by turning the adjuster in the opposite direction as decribed in the manual. I am the first owner of my car which had 20 some miles on it when delivered. Don't be surprised when you go in there for the first time to find that the scribe is not within the notch.

AJK

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Okay, so my engine was hungry and began to eat my main drive belt, one rib at a time. I was a little worried about alignment issues but honestly, a pulley alignment problem would have surfaced before now so it's just time to change the main belt. I went ahead and ordered a new accessory belt and oil pump belt too. I figured sense I'm already in there, might as well tidy up a bit.

So here is the problem/question: The oil belt tensioner is a strange little booger but I have dealt with it before so I know the routine, put a mark on everything. Make sure it looks the same when you button it back up. However, the tensioner didn't pop back when I loosened it. In a moment of stupidity, I just removed the tensioner. I was immediately showered with parts from the tensioner's innards. No big deal, they weren't broke and it APPEARS that the parts only reassemble in one particular fashion but my shop manuel doesn't brake down the tensioner. Does anybody have a technical diagram of that thing? I just want to make sure it's done properly.

Thanks.