What will Ford Race at LeMans?

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
OK, we saw the new GT350R (I for one have to have one, and OH, I will also take another Raptor too!) I for one, still don't know whether Ford will race in the GT class using the GT350R or the new GT. I would be willing to bet that the GT350R will be Ford's weapon of choice at LeMan. Anyone know? Any ideas?

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
So how much do you want to wager Tim? Dinner and a Maker's Mark @ Rally X?

My money is on the new GT at Le Mans.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
It will be this car. The car is heavily derived from the IMSA class car already running. My quick scan of the checklist leaves only the carbon fiber construction in the disallowed list. But FIA could erase that tomorrow for the 2016 season. It would be consistent with their "green"-er direction.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
It will be this car. The car is heavily derived from the IMSA class car already running.

This car has literally almost nothing to do with the current IMSA DP cars.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

What I saw was this:
Based on the same race-proven engine architecture serving Ford’s IMSA Daytona Prototype endurance racing efforts, the next-generation twin-turbocharged 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 in the GT features a wide powerband with impressive time-to-torque characteristics.

that I skimmed just before bringing my wife to the airport. So I jumped to the conclusion that the rest was also (seeing not reading).

So then this is an in-house Ford design (who got the nod this time?) and not a Multimac? How much did Multimac and Ganassi influence it? I am assuming they had some say since they are probably the race team that will campaign the car.

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
So how much do you want to wager Tim? Dinner and a Maker's Mark @ Rally X?

My money is on the new GT at Le Mans.

OK, you have a bet. I say the Mustang. Loser buys Maker's Mark Manhattans (3 to 1 ratio, as Bony and I always ordered!)

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL

My way of thinking says the new GT350R. Ford has lots of development time and dollars under their belt and this platform and powertrain would be highly competitive against other GT class cars. Remember a few years ago when the BMW M3 3 with a V-8 got banned from the class? This GT350R is even better, and has quite a bit behind it. Plus is will be fully homologated under FIA and ACO rules to compete in GT.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Tim.. you had to ask !! GT all the way !! and maybe the Mustang too to combat the Vettes !! With the TT race car they have been running and the 50th Anv in 2016 I don't see how it could not be anything but the GT !!

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
My way of thinking says the new GT350R. Ford has lots of development time and dollars under their belt and this platform and powertrain would be highly competitive against other GT class cars. Remember a few years ago when the BMW M3 3 with a V-8 got banned from the class? This GT350R is even better, and has quite a bit behind it. Plus is will be fully homologated under FIA and ACO rules to compete in GT.

That's a very good point. The Mustang is already homologated, and the rules allow a "big" change every 2 years (rules not open in front of me right now) and I think car would be quite competitive in the class, only missing the "look and feel" of the GT40 predecessor. Would the New GT be competitive in the next class up?

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX