What was the guy in the 997 thinking?

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
I was driving north on brickel last night when I came to a light with a new 997. I had no intention of doing anything but this guy kept reving his motor and trying to incite me. Regardless, once the light changed, I embarassed this clown in front of his girlfriend without trying, WTF was this guy thinking?

I don't like street racing or racing at lights, but this guy pissed me off...

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
It's hard to know what he was thinking. I've got a 997. They're exceptional cars in terms of build quality and drivability however compared to my GT it's like a toy. Perhaps he got caught-up in the moment? He won't be doing that again!

Rob

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
How do you like the 997 Gierkink? I know some people malign the interior, but I sat in a 997 S at the dealership and just loved the inside. Fantastic fit and finish, in the teutonic style...

P.S, 997 vs. GT? :lol Everyone wants to race when you're in a supercar.

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
I love the 997. I’ve had a 993 (great car) 996 (not so great car) and now the 997. In my view what Porsche has done with the 997 is capture some of the rawness of the 993 and build it into a car with all the latest technology which can be used as an every day vehicle. As far as the interior goes I think it’s fantastic. In my view a poor quality interior was one of the major drawbacks of the 996 however this had been addressed in the 997 (e.g. the quality of the sticking on the leather is spectacular). I’d recommend the car to anyone who wants a great all-around sports car.

In spite of all this my GT still makes it seem like a toy.

Rob

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
Don't get me wrong guys, the 997 is a superb car, but why would you race a GT with a 997? Thats like me comparing trunk space on a GT to a Caravan...

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
No doubt the GT is so much faster it's not worth comparing...I was just curious what he thought after all the flack the 996 received...

satx

Aug 25, 2005
Dana Point
the guy probably just wanted to see the GT accelerate. Not to uncommon I guess and I doubt he thought he had a chance to win.

canibl

GT Owner
Nov 22, 2005
Sacramento, Cali
....at least you got a Porsche challenging you....for some reason I get these young stupid kids in their modified civics or 4X4 Dodge Rams. I don't even bother, really, it's just a waste of gas.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I think satx nailed it. I just think they want to see it go. (I know I would if I were them :wink )

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
Maybe I should thank the guy in the 997, it was the first time I really got on it and even better I scared the $hit out of wifey...

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Why they provoke the animal? to make it roar !

SteveA said:
I think satx nailed it. I just think they want to see it go. (I know I would if I were them :wink )
Absolutely right. I get that a lot. Even when guys drive around with their girlfriends. If they are nice looking, I sometimes just kick it. Then in the mirror, I just see big grins and happy faces.

... Then, when I'm around, I am looking on the beaches if I spot the chick by chance, like a predatory great white looking for tasty seals.... The guys better secure their babes then, who'd know how such encounter would end :lol

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I'm not sure I would be able to detect any discernable facial expressions from a car behind me through the rear view mirror of a GT...! You must have the eyes of a hawk... :wink

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
oh stop

ART T

GT Owner
Nov 21, 2005
Healdsburg, CA,
<rolling eyes!>

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Neilda said:
I'm not sure I would be able to detect any discernable facial expressions from a car behind me through the rear view mirror of a GT...! You must have the eyes of a hawk... :wink
I'd say a good view through the left sidemirror.. :wink

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
SLF360 said:
Absolutely right. I get that a lot.

With 375 MILES?!?!?! If you leave your car at the dealer any longer, I'm going to start taking parts off of it...

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
All beach and marina miles....

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
SLF360 said:
All beach and marina miles....

My problem is that I live in Coral Gables, yet most of my business is conducted on STRD 84 or on 17th st! :frown

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
abolfaz said:
My problem is that I live in Coral Gables, yet most of my business is conducted on STRD 84 or on 17th st! :frown
Pity is I never saw you there so far ! You are white with stripes ?

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
SLF360 said:
Pity is I never saw you there so far ! You are white with stripes ?

Yep, but my car has only been to Lauderdale once and that was on top of a flat bed...