What on earth is wrong with people? Part 2

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
It's not just temp idiots in the furniture industry, or gen x'ers. :lol

I swear to God my head is literally going to pop off at my jackass moron builder. I appreciate that the shit is really design oriented, but what difference does it make if you CAN'T STOP ****ING EVERYTHING UP :bang I closed early on this loft knowing it'd screw me, but they are paying me every day not to live there. Not my primary concern.

First we had to wait until the Berloni kitchen came in from Italy. Fine. It came, looked good, so they could cut the counter. But two doors opened improperly banging the range and stainless hood. One was put in wrong so you can't open the corner swinging door. Fine, easy fix.

Floor is screwed up so I tell them to redo it (it was already redone once). It's polished concrete that gets sandblasted and then clearcoated, but the clearcoat was sealing improperly. They redo it. It's equally screwed up. I tell them to do it again. Needs 48 hours to cure properly. Kitchen doors are fixed at least.

Counter comes in, it's got some kind of stains on it that won't come of with stone cleaner that was put there by the builders. Arg. Expensive ass Caeserstone(engineered quartz) that comes from Israel.

We go to inspect it and THANK GOD the floor is finally right, but they dinged the shit out of the walls and any number of other surfaces. Oh well, at least the floor is right. After three tries, it looked awesome. Oh yeah, the kitchen doors are back to banging and are screwed up from hitting the stainless. New chip in the cabinet above the fridge.

Go back to see if they fixed the counter today, it's got more shit all over it, (looks like someone spilled some kind of sealant meant for the floor on the counter). This includes portions of the counter affixed with caulking to stainless steel structural components. This means to take the counter off, they'll be screwing up a several hundred pound 9 foot tall 3" piece of stainless steel from Italy.

Best of all, after taking 3 tries to fix the floor, they tried to use some orbital polisher on it and completely ****ed it up. Like RUINED. It looks like swirl marks from a brillo pad. Let's go for number 4 so I still can't move in and I have to be out by the 30th. And oh yeah, they put several scratches in the engineered Bamboo floor I paid for upstairs.
:rolleyes

That's just the cliffnotes. But whatever. They've got about 48 hours to fix most of this before I go Bruce Banner, turn green, and rip someones head off. I just don't get it. It's like everytime they fix one problem, they create 6 more. I guess nobody gives a shit anymore though, eh?

I understand this is a part of having a structure built but these are NOT hard things. You should be able to assemble kitchen cabinets. You should be able to make appliances level. I've spent a month listening to excuses, being patient, and saying "no problem, just get it done and get it done right before the 30th". Well time is up...

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Whew - I thought I had it bad with the end of the quarter coming up and $XXXM to ship.

DBK, welcome to the land of home "custom" ownership. Simple ideas/ plans are the easiest to screw up as proven with your recent diatribe... My new that I am now in had a stupid garage door that took two years to fix - after I closed on it (the house)!

BTW - I think I found a pictures of the "floor crew". They also are going to Atlanta next to set up a four post lift for eShrink :lol

Attachments

• DBK_Contractor.jpg
    DBK_Contractor.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Wow! That sucks. Idiots come in all forms and somehow find work in areas they have no business being in. At least they are willing to work. :wink
My guys just vanish! :lol

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
This is your general contractor's fault for using lousy subs. Union shops? I built a large house and everything went as planned. Get a new general contractor.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I have a similar experience. Never again will I plan to remodel a home! Assume a rating of 1 to 10, you get a job done at a 7 level, complain, they do it again and it's a 5 level job now, complain again they get more pissed and you might get a worst job. My home has been under construction for for 3 years! It is only now finishing because I relaxed my standards so that it can be "completed." The poor workmanship is par for the course from what I can tell.

BlackICE

Townshend

GT Owner
May 22, 2006
I built a custom house from the ground up - During the process I can not count the number of times I said :

"Damn it, if I ran my business like these clowns run theirs I wouldn't have made it out of my first year."

Thank god the builder was great, but the subs - Oh - My - Gawd....

Erick

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
There's no pride in work any longer. I build a lot of my own furniture, and take great pride in my work. Even when I build something for someone else, I put a little more effort in it.

BTW, I think we have the same contractors. I have work done in my house that I had them redo 3 times, and it is even worse now. I just paid them so I can have my house back and will get someone else to redo the job. Hopefully I do not hire this guys partner.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Construction Problems

DBK - I hope you can find a solution to your "issues". You should not be having these types of problems. But you do. You might try and locate a construction manager to assist you. These guys are professionals. They can help with the fit and finish problems you're experiencing. You need someone on your side between you and the developer/contractor/sub's. Do it Today.

I've been in the commercial/industrial construction industry for over 4 decades. I for one, am here to say, that specialty trade craftsmen are "out there" but you'll more than likely never find them yourself. Wish I was in your 'hood to help. I may know somene who knows someone. call me anytime.

What ever you do try and keep it on an even keel. Remember this is just another project for the tradesmen. If you're arguementative with the workers is usually is a waste of energy and time. Keep in mind it's all about money -YOURS. Don't pay until you are satisfied.

Document every concern IN WRITING. Photo's too. Post it where everyone can see it. Require the general contractor and the various sub-contractors to sign off on YOUR list of issues. Visit the job everyday. Add to the list if you find something else that needs to be addressed.

Good Luck. Call me if you need more information.
Jeff

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
There are two things in life that every one should do ONCE - and just ONCE;

GET MARRIED and BUILD A CUSTOM HOUSE [or Loft in your case].

Have fun Dave - it will be worth it in the end.

:cheers

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Heh, Heh, Heh, WHY DOES JOEY HAVE GREY HAIR AT 32 :biggrin , WHY DOES JOEY HAVE THAT GREY LOOK ON HIS FACE :biggrin , WHY DOES JOEY HAVE 2 RINGS UNDER HIS EYES INSTEAD OF ONE ON HIS FINGER!!!!! I WARNED YOU , MY FRIEND , NEXT COMES MARRIAGE THEN COMES THAT BABY CARRIAGE!!!!!! Ive been in the insurance /investment buisness a LLLOONNG TIME EVEN THOUGH IM ONLY 29 YRS. OLD :biggrin . 2 FACTS TO REMEMBER
1. 99.6 % OF ALL PEOPLE THAT LIVE PAST 100 IN THE U.S NEVER HAD A MORTGAGE...... FACT!
2. 99.3 % OF ALL PEOPLE THAT LIVE PAST 100 ALSO NEVER HAD CHILDREN! .. FACT.

DBK , MY FRIEND , YOU ARE HALF WAY TO SEALING YOUR FATE ! :lol DUMB ASS!!!!!! HEY ILL GIVE YOU 40 GRAND FOR THE GT, DIAPERS ARE A FORTUNE TODAY!!!!!!!!!!! :lol DUMB ASS !!!!! LOVE AND MARRIAGE LOVE AND MARRIAGE.......................................LOVE GTJOEY ONE FOOT IN THE GR....

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I dunno Joey...After meeting Dave's girl at the rally I have got to give him different advice. Close that deal before she gets away! :biggrin

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Dave's Girl

FC - I agree with you.

DBK - You've got a keeper.

To heck with the Construction manager. Get to know the wedding planner.

I envision a Heritage GT on D & F's Wedding cake.

Steve - how about an S-7 get away car?
Mark - they'll need a GTX for the photgrapher.
Camillo - will you do the dress?
Gordo - is the beach house availiable?
GT Joey - batchelor party host? Ritz in Dearborn?
Piccola - can you do the parade laps route planning?
Bony - advisor for meal and vino?
Jamal - can we get some help for the Ford convention center?

We ALL want an inviite to the GT Gala Wedding.

However---- We will be there invited or not.

Pick a date. :party :party :party

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
HOW ABOUT SOMEWHERE ALONG LAKE MICHIGAN, SEE, THIS IS FUN. DAVES GETTING MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :willy WE CAN HAVE DAVES WEDDING AND SAM THE JEEP MANS SONS , BABY SHOWER AT THE NEXT GT MEET :biggrin . How do these rumors get started anyway, like a mark2 or 4 are coming soon.........ps. all of you are right franchesca is the best..now you have to do the rest :thumbsup . mY BROTHER AND I ARE ONLY A YEAR APART , MY SON IS 17+ AND MY BROTHER JOHNNY JUST HAD TWIN BOYS!!!! . AS OF TODAY NURSERY SCHOOL IS 5,000 PER KID PER YEAR! :biggrin IM BIDDING DOWN TO 30 GRAND ON THE GT , ITS JUST A MATTER OF TIME.......ENJOY,GTJOEY1314 :thumbsup

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Man, you got it good there. Nursery school in my area is just shy of $10K a year for each kid. I need to get a part time job! :wink

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
ILL give you 35 grand cause of the neat wheels........ my friend. ENJOY, GEE DBK HAS BEEN QUIET ALL OF A SUDDEN, WONDER IF HE CANT FIND THIS POST....... :biggrin GTJOEY LOST IN A SEA OF FORUM TOPIC CATAGORIES....

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
Sorry to hear of your dilemas... This is what has been done in 4 months thus far

Attachments

• P1010050.jpg
    P1010050.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 49

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
tmstunts#1233 said:
Sorry to hear of your dilemas... This is what has been done in 4 months thus far
nice..Arrowhead?

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
bony said:
nice..Arrowhead?
Believe it or not..... Wisconsin. It the pops place that will be storing the new GT. I think he is getting it shipped out. I might try to come up for pics though. Still would love to come and get a drink. I should know more by tonight or tomorrow.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Tim, Nice.... Looks like south Wisconsin. I have a family resprt in Boulder Jct. Much more sparse and with bigger mosquitos!

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
I've built two custom homes in the last 5 years... went through the same thing on both of 'em... the sorry ass sub-contractors just don't give a rat's ass... do the job barely good enough to get by with, get the money and get outta' town.

My plumbing contactor screwed me to the wall really good... I finally got mad and fired him, and hired a new guy to tear out and dig up the complete septic system and replace it.

The original plumber is still in the area screwin' people over at every turn.

Just unbelievable how some people operate.

and btw... Yes, I'm finished building anything for a while.

mardyn