What do you know of Saleen S7's?

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
I've been infatuated with the S7 for over a decade now. I'm starting to think hard about them, but have never seen or heard one in person. Anyone have exprerience with these cars? I'd probably lean towards a NA car as the TT is pushing $500-600K these days and I dont think they are that much nicer. I have a lead on one in the high $3's, which is still high imo. Almost bought a silver one a year ago in the low 3's. I hear the fit/finish is not terrific being hand-built cars, but the look in pics is stunning. I hear the brakes are stiff, and suspension a little stiff for the street but manageable. I'm curious how they track and sound mostly, ergonomics, and if it can be driven comfortably on decent streets.

Any input is appreciated. :cheers

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Any input is appreciated. :cheers

About 9 years(?) ago or so, a salesperson at a certain Lambo dealership ('person may still BE there...don't want to name him/her or the dealership) said the dealership had, at that time, regularly sold/serviced S-7s ("regularly" being a relative term when applied to something like an S-7) and that they were constantly being brought in for repairs of one kind or another. He/she said they were fun cars to drive...when they were running...but 'were a costly PITB to keep running. He/she said a couple of them actually "spend more time with us than with their owners", and he/she meant it.

The afore mentioned submitted for whatever it's worth.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I'd put the few I've seen on par with a well sorted kit car.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Saw my first and only S7 at Monterey Car Week last year. Had my car alongside a black NA S7 at the Saleen tent for Concorso Italiano. Got to meet SS and have him sign my GT engine brace....but I digress. The exterior aesthetics are love/hate. Some dislike the long tail. I personally like it. The interior....well, that may leave something to be desired.

[video=youtube;t-SWPv9ddFg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-SWPv9ddFg[/video]

[video=youtube;OfnP5S2Wteo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfnP5S2Wteo[/video]

Lightning

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 9, 2006
Hutchinson, Kansas
I was told by somebody big with Saleen that comparied to our GT the S7 is "junk"!

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Worst "super" car I have ever driven. Ever! If you are buying for collectibility, maybe. If you are buying to enjoy...., run!!!

txviper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 31, 2007
Worst "super" car I have ever driven. Ever! If you are buying for collectibility, maybe. If you are buying to enjoy...., run!!!

This seems to be the normal answer to those that have experienced them. The S7 has been my all-time dream car and still kinda is. But I have decided to leave it at just that, because my dreams will probably be crushed if I buy or even drive one. I spent a few days with the former COO of Saleen and he too said they were horrible street cars. They weren't meant for that, it was a race car that they had to rush into a street car production. Still sexy as shit though.

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX

Shelby, I thought you might have driven one. What in particular was bad? Squeaks, creaks, rattles? Harsh ride? Or reliability? How does the motor sound? I'm looking for more of an occasional track toy and collectible more so than a street car. I'm sure it's rough it's basically a s7r. I've heard they are kind of bad, but I didn't know if it had redeeming qualities. Thanks for the input guys.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I too have lusted for one, especially as I have drank some "Saleen flavored" kool aide, by currently owning a couple older mustangs. With that, I will only lust, with out ever considering one. 1st off, there were what only 74 total built (15 being "R" models)? Parts would scare me, but at least the remaining parts were sold last week, so they might become available? Ive only sat in a couple of them, (tough to get into). I didn't get a ride at R1 unfortunately, let alone driven one. At $3xxk + there are a lot of fully sorted cars in that price range, that would have better road manners. Just saw Steve's at SEMA (or at least I believe its Steve's, the one in the Southwest TV commercial) a couple weeks ago, and it is a great looking car.

Attachments

• IMG_2621.jpg
    IMG_2621.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 393
Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
... (tough to get into).

'A truism. 'Door sills are about as wide as a GT40's...and, once seated, the foot wells are literally 'shoe box' in size (and located about a foot[?] to the right of 'straight ahead' as I recall). 'Not a real comfy layout for long distance drives IMHO.

Buuuuut, to each his own... :cool

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
I think most buyers/owners appreciate some of the car's idiosyncrasies, likely not all of them.

I also suspect not many owners take their S7s on many long distance drives.

For me, the design and especially the interior seems a bit dated, but I remember wanting one too back in the day.

I'm going to accept Shelby's assessment, he would know for sure.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Here's the thing, the S7 is actually not THAT bad on glass smooth roads. I went out in an S7 in LA and it wasn't that painful. But I've also been out in an S7 right by the Saleen facility here. If you value your teeth and don't have surplus cartilage, would not recommend. It's a race car though, so can't have super high expectations on that front. Also, cannot recommend from a reliability standpoint. Friend has had one since new. Lots of time in the shop.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I have a very close friend who lives in Houston and has an S7 in his collection. He doesn't drive it much and tells me its kinda one of those "Ain't it Pretty" cars in his collection because of it being so rare. I remember him driving it from a show in south Houston home, some 65 miles and he said i'll never do that again. It nearly beat him to death.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
If the foot box is crap its not worth driving.
Went with a buddy to test a 512 Boxer (his dream car) about 4 years ago and he just walked away because the footbox was tiny and not well engineered for someone over 5'9".
I drove it as well and it was not enjoyable.

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I had a couple of 512 Boxers years back. Turns out my ex-wife's BF wanted them in the divorce. (I can see Kayvan shaking his head...)

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
It sucks. Everything about the driving experience on the road sucked. Was not impressed with anything about it. I owned a super low mile black Twin Turbo S7. I couldn't wait to get rid of it. Anyone paying $500k+ for these (and they are) has to be nuts. I wouldn't Want it if it was $100k other than to make potential profit on it. Fit and finish was bad, drove bad, sounded bad, was a horribly small cockpit and I am only 6 foot 170 lbs. Did I mention the car was bad? Don't ask me this again if I have one in inventory because I wouldn't be this brutally honest, but it truly sucked and I feel I had one of the nicest examples available.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
But they sure are intoxicating and lovely to look at....

View attachment 40228

View attachment 40229

View attachment 40230

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
....especially in "lipstick red".

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I had a couple of 512 Boxers years back. Turns out my ex-wife's BF wanted them in the divorce. (I can see Kayvan shaking his head...)

Shaking my head.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Do you perhaps mean "Lizstick"? Named for Steve's wife. Also in the similar light, "Mollypop" is a color made for his daughter.

....especially in "lipstick red".