What are the red flags upon inspection?

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
I always check out the car before calling in a ppi. What are some common red flags or deal breakers or concerns (i guess yellow flags) that an inexperienced person can notice?

thank you in advance

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
So many variables.
Are you're shopping in the <500 miles, 500-5000, 5000-20000, salvage, stock, modded, etc.?
Are you going to park it or drive it?
I wouldn't buy a salvage vehicle unless it was put back together by me or one of the other guru's on here and I was gonna track/drive the heck out of it.
<500 miles it better be perfect
Check date code on tires. Original tires that still have tread could be a good sign. Mine were original with 11K and had plenty of tread. 4000 miles later the tread is the same(they're on the shelf). Figure $2000 for 4
Check body gaps. Look for witness marks on bolts/paint to see if things have been worked on, then figure out why.
Does cluster work? Big money if it doesn't but even if it does, someday it won't.
Look at dash vents. Is pleather peeling away? There's a decent solution for it but would bug me.
Window moldings/rubber are stupid expensive, windshield not so bad(other than labor)
Have axle flange bolts been upgraded. Gotta do them but easy 3 beer project.
Do head and fog lights have moisture? Expensive and hard to get.

There's a checklist on this site somewhere. Take it with you.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
Before you do anything pull a CarFax and the Ford Oasis report. It’s not a silver bullet but it’s the right first move.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Even though it sounds simple, the best first move is a google search on the VIN number....that has saved me on numerous occasions.

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
Here's the PPI checklist I put together. Probably needs a couple of updates. Use this list to screen a GT before having actual PPI by recognized GT Tech.

Attachments

• FGT PPI Check list (3).pdf
    19.1 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: 2112

F Pilot

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2021
Toronto
I got My car From Rich Brooks. It has a branded title. I researched Rich and bought the car and didn’t think twice. 9000+ miles with some kick ass driving and it has been solid gold.