Went to the track today

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
Well I went to the track today, as a group of us rented MIR raceway in buds creek maryland. The weather was beautiful 75 degrees and sunny, I had only heard of one real owner who had ran his GT and that was Saber. I was a little apprehensive about how the car would run because it is a hard car to launch, but I was very happy about how the car ran. I guess the things really are as fast as the magazines say they are.
On my first pass I left really easy and the car ran 11.78 at 123.87. My next pass was an 11.57 at 125.94, and then my best pass looked like this.

60' 1.91
330' 5.08
1/8 7.59 96.11
1000' 9.75
1/4 11.54 126.05

The 11.54 was my best run but I ran one more time and it fell off as my 60' went up to 2.01 seconds, the et fell off to 11.63 but the mph was still 126.

I was very happy overall with the way the car ran although I definately left some on the table. Just thought I would share these times with the other gt owners that haven't or won't take their car to the track. I thought all the press cars were ringers but I guess not!

Jamie Furman

AMER SPD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 18, 2005
Northern California
Jamie,

Sounds like you all had a great time. Thanks for making us jealous!

Have a wonderful weekend.

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
thanks!

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
jamie said:
Well I went to the track today, as a group of us rented MIR raceway in buds creek maryland. The weather was beautiful 75 degrees and sunny, I had only heard of one real owner who had ran his GT and that was Saber. I was a little apprehensive about how the car would run because it is a hard car to launch, but I was very happy about how the car ran. I guess the things really are as fast as the magazines say they are.
On my first pass I left really easy and the car ran 11.78 at 123.87. My next pass was an 11.57 at 125.94, and then my best pass looked like this.

60' 1.91
330' 5.08
1/8 7.59 96.11
1000' 9.75
1/4 11.54 126.05

The 11.54 was my best run but I ran one more time and it fell off as my 60' went up to 2.01 seconds, the et fell off to 11.63 but the mph was still 126.

I was very happy overall with the way the car ran although I definately left some on the table. Just thought I would share these times with the other gt owners that haven't or won't take their car to the track. I thought all the press cars were ringers but I guess not!

Jamie Furman
I've read all kinds of advice in the magazines on the best RPM to launch the GT. They range from 2000 rpm with an easy roll on to 3250 rpm. The funny thing is, they all seem to get about the same result, mid 11's and 125 or so. What was your experience at the track to achieve your best run?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Great runs Jamie. This is exactly what I would expect after seeing Saber's results. His 1/8th was cooking even more, so I knew there was some mph left at the big end, and he ran ~11.8 with basically a 2.1 60. You dropped it down to a 1.9 and accordingly took off about .3 tenths, and put on 2-3mph. Right in line with what I'd expect.

Pretty amazing when you have a tractable street car as docile as a lamb capable of 11.5@126 :eek

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
Thanks for the congrats! I don't know if I can really give any advice on leaving other than I know if you are able to ride the clutch a little bit it will knock a lot of et off your 60' and 1/4 mile. The problem is at least with my car the point of engage and disengage is so little I wasn't able to ride it and I tried. I came out about 3000 rpms and tried to ride it to eliminate any bogs but in order to leave hard you have to do all that fast and when I did, I didn't have the technique down and it just engaged no slip. One of the runs I almost got it but it slipped to much and got the clutch hot and not wanting to tear anything up that was it for me.

Bill Briley

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2005
Valley Forge PA.
Very Nice! :biggrin
Please Let me in on the next MD Track deal!
I am about 2 hours away.
Thanks for the posts !!

saber

GT Owner
Sep 25, 2005
NYC
Jamie,
Great times, I plan on going back in the spring with different tires. I am glad to see 11.5s

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
I am about an hour and a half away myself. Shoot me a pm so I can easily remember to contact you when we go. Anyone else serious let me know and will get you in on it.
thanks Jamie

CHAD

GT Owner
Feb 17, 2006
Sarasota, FL
There was no doubt you'd run a number, Jamie.

I took mine out yesterday and was not very impressive. I only got 2 runs. First run the car was hot and even though I was off the clutch within 10-15 feet, it blew right through it and hit the limiter. Car ran 12.0 at 122. Second pass the car was cold after waiting 2-1/2 hours and although I got out nice (1.82 sixty), I missed second. No excuses but these cars really shift poorly with cold trannies. I think there was a seventy at 123-4 in it yesterday in warm weather.

I'm anxious to get back out and learn the car a little more. Funny going through the lights in 3rd. These things are really geared high.

NJGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Launch Technique

What is the best technique for heating up the tires for the 1320?

Dry burnout or go through the water box?

If water box what gear - 2nd and 4000 rpm?